The Call

Simon

80 off those 131 yards came on 1 play. The Giants stuffed Fred all game. Stop looking at starts at look at the actual game.

PTR

16 carries for a 131 even with a 80 run is awful. Gailey gets pass happy and the Giants are aful against the run. Gailey lost us this game

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also threw a similar Pass short vs. The Raiders that Donald Jones had to break up to save our chances of winning that game...This is why I put most of the blame on Gailey in this situation...We had a chance to run off some more clock or force the Giants to burn their TO's at the very least...And there are Passes and Pass plays that Fitz throws very well time in and time out...Plus we have that guy named Fred Jackson...Instead he calls this Play that Fitz has a tough time throwing and it's basically an automatic read for Fitz when he gets that Defense...Gailey's got to know his QB a bit more...He HAS to Coach around Fitz's weaknesses and he has for the most part...Plus he's got to know that every second counts when you give ANY Team the Ball back in the 4th Quarter with this Bills Defense...It was a bad throw no question, but it was also poor Game Management and Play Call on the part of our HC...

The good news is Gailey is no idiot...And I'm about 100% certain this was a valuable lesson learned...A tough lesson, but one that will help the Bills Win Games down the Road... B-)

I couldn't disagree more, I'm sorry. It's a 20 yard pass.... A high school QB could make that pass. It's funny you point to that pass in the Oakland game but completely forget the 2 passes Fitz made in the NE game that were identical. The one to Stevie in the beginning of the game and the one at the end of the game to Donald. He completed both of those and they went for big yardage. Same over the top throw. He was fine throwing them then. But today it's a bad call and Chans fault. I'm not buying it. Sorry. If we don't have a QB that can make those types of throws then we don't have a NFL QB. The Bills NEED to show they can throw balls farther than 10 yards and more than just slants. Otherwise why don't we just pick up Trent again. It's called stretching the field. And I have seen Fitz make those throws. It's happened this season. Chan has seen it too. Hence the play call.

I couldn't disagree more, I'm sorry. It's a 20 yard pass.... A high school QB could make that pass. It's funny you point to that pass in the Oakland game but completely forget the 2 passes Fitz made in the NE game that were identical. The one to Stevie in the beginning of the game and the one at the end of the game to Donald. He completed both of those and they went for big yardage. Same over the top throw. He was fine throwing them then. But today it's a bad call and Chans fault. I'm not buying it. Sorry. If we don't have a QB that can make those types of throws then we don't have a NFL QB. The Bills NEED to show they can throw balls farther than 10 yards and more than just slants. Otherwise why don't we just pick up Trent again. It's called stretching the field. And I have seen Fitz make those throws. It's happened this season. Chan has seen it too. Hence the play call.

It was more than just stretching the Field at that point of the Game...Don't be naive...The Bills had The Giants on the ropes with only 4 mins left in the Game...They had the chance to score and take more time off the clock...Sure you don't want to run the Ball 3 times there...But you want to play to your Teams strengths at that time, run more time off, and force the Giants to use their TO's if possible...What you're basically saying is that Fitz is about 50% on Passes like that...He makes some and he misses some...Not exactly his strength, and not exactly the Call needed at that point of the Game. Especially when you have a Defense that gives up chunks of yards vs just about everybody in every 4th Quarter...Sure if Fitz throws it perfect and Stevie Scores everybody is happy...But the Giants still get the Ball back with 4 mins left and their TO's...Gailey was exactly right when he did what he had to in order to keep Tom Brady off the Field late in the NE Game...Why change? It's called Game Management and understanding your Team and your opponents strengths and weaknesses...I like Gailey as much as anybody on this Board, but I expected better from a HC as smart as he is...And I also expect he'll do better next time around... B-)

Kudo's to Chan for not letting the Giants D beat the crap out of Fred. We lose that guy, and that's our season. I really thought that last INT should have been a run play, but in the long view, it's just as well. Fitz will brush this off, and hopefully realize how important his position is to this team. Sometimes the best play is to throw the ball out of bounds.

Edited by #34fan

80 off those 131 yards came on 1 play. The Giants stuffed Fred all game. Stop looking at starts at look at the actual game.

PTR

Sorry Promo, I'm not buying it.

We abandoned the run game far to soon. Fred Jackson needs more than 16 carries. Yes I saw him get stuffed several times, but Jackson has proven to us that he can make plays. We need to have a more balanced attack.

Instead we panicked and played like we were down by 40 points in the 2nd half. We can not rely on only Fitz to win games for us.

The guy has 131 yards on 16 carries, and we don't go to hm on their 13 yard line on 1st and 10. It's unreal. Gailey, while I like him, gets pass happy. Nad Fitz, while I like him, is not Tom Brady. RUN THE BALL!!!!.If I was Fred I'd be pissed. If we run 3 times on that play on the NYG 13, we get a TD or FG, but NO PICK! Awful call. LEt FRED RUN!

All true, Fred gets stuffed a couple of times and Chan gets gun shy instead of committing to the run. :wallbash:

Kudo's to Chan for not letting the Giants D beat the crap out of Fred. We lose that guy, and that's our season. I really thought that last INT should have been a run play, but in the long view, it's just as well. Fitz will brush this off, and hopefully realize how important his position is to this team. Sometimes the best play is to throw the ball out of bounds.

or not under throw it.

We abandoned the run game far to soon. Fred Jackson needs more than 16 carries. Yes I saw him get stuffed several times, but Jackson has proven to us that he can make plays. We need to have a more balanced attack.

Instead we panicked and played like we were down by 40 points in the 2nd half. We can not rely on only Fitz to win games for us.

Also true.

There is no doubt in my mind that this call was the one thing that cost Buffalo this game. As soon as we got that first down, I was in the bar as the only Bills guy in Delaware, throwing down wings, yelling, "OK, now a couple of runs to Freddy, a 3rd down slant if we need one, and move the chains. Even if we fail we take 2 minutes off the clock, walk away with 3."

I think they went empty backfield on that play, and when it was setting up and Fitz dropped to pass, I spit my chicken wing onto the floor saying, "What the hell?" Even if he makes that throw and we get 7, wrong call. We'd leave them 4 minutes to tie. Sometimes it pays to win boring and ugly, but win. RE: Last 3 minutes of New England game.

I don't blame Rifle for the poor throw, that stuff happens. This game was lost on that poor decision, whoever made it. And on Fred not running well "if you take away the 80 yard run", I'll take my chances in crunch time that dude can get 10 yards on 3 tries without fumbling, even if they know it's coming. He's done enough to prove by me that he is money despite how his last 10 carries have went or even if he's having an off day. :wallbash:

PTR

As I said in another thread, Fred had 6 other runs of 4+ yards and 2 of Smiths 4 runs produced were for 4+ yards. So he wasn't stuffed all game as you think. They should of run the ball right there and burned clock.

there is not a player on the bills who thought the call was wrong. fitz didn't execute. he knows it. gailey is a winner. he went for the kill.

Really? You don't think the Giants would have marched right down the field on the Bills defense and scored with 4 minutes to do so? I do!

loved the call, hated the execution. the bills were running the ball poorly by that point, and there was a ton of time left. you cannot go into touchdown-avoidance mode to milk clock when there's that much time left. the cowboys did that against the pats and look what happened to them.

the bottom line: in a tie game with over 4 minutes left against a team that can score TDs pretty easily against our sorry defense, you always grab the opportunity for seven if it presents itself. on an overthrow, all it means is one incompletion. of course, he made the worst of all possible throws, but you can't assume he's going to do that.

btw, a lot of people here seem to think that the bills could have worked the clock down to under two minutes. that would have been impossible. as anyone knows who has watched the NFL this year, 2 minutes plus and 4 downs instead of 3 is more than enough for a competent offense at home going against a bad defense.

Edited by dave mcbride

not a bad call. If the ball had been properly thrown itwould have been a touchdown. NE was not expecting it because it was not the obvious call in the situation. As a Gailey naysayer from the outset, I'm more and more impressed with Gailey as the year progresses. Sometimes your calls hit, and sometimes they don't.

Could Gailey have run the ball and eaten the clock? Maybe but remember you do have to get a first down to do that, and the Giants were going to put all of their resources into keeping you from getting the first down. You gotta mix it up to keep them honest.

We're 4-2...I predicted and optimistic outcome for 3-3 by the bye week. We are on target for the nine wins I think we have a right to demand, and with some extra effort are in the hunt for a playoff spot, and in extremely fortunate circumstances might be playing NE at the end of the season for the Divisional title.

I like the aggressiveness, but you need to milk the clock with the run.

I just didnt think it was necessary with 4 min. left and us in the drivers seat with fast freddie. I just dont understand it

not a bad call. If the ball had been properly thrown itwould have been a touchdown. NE was not expecting it because it was not the obvious call in the situation. As a Gailey naysayer from the outset, I'm more and more impressed with Gailey as the year progresses. Sometimes your calls hit, and sometimes they don't.

Could Gailey have run the ball and eaten the clock? Maybe but remember you do have to get a first down to do that, and the Giants were going to put all of their resources into keeping you from getting the first down. You gotta mix it up to keep them honest.

We're 4-2...I predicted and optimistic outcome for 3-3 by the bye week. We are on target for the nine wins I think we have a right to demand, and with some extra effort are in the hunt for a playoff spot, and in extremely fortunate circumstances might be playing NE at the end of the season for the Divisional title.

I will never be upset with a 12-6 year.

Agreed. 21 designed running plays for the entire game.

It's curious that out of the same situation you felt we're in panick mode and I felt the exact same opposite, we're driving and Gailey & Fitz were just attacking the Giants' weaknesses, the secondary.

Did you feel we were panicking after the PA pass to Nelson for a 32 yard gain on that same drive?