The Call

Simon

all that stuff is into the middle of the field.. inside the 30 yard line there is no room for slants, TE throws etc. The only room is up the sidelines and in the end zone. That is what the Giants gave them and that is what Chan called. Really brilliant call. Fitz throws it 5 yards farther and we have him going to Hawaii. Give it up. Everything was perfect except the execution.

Inside 30 yard line "no room for slants" ??? :lol:

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowboys had a 3-point lead and the ball at midfield with 4 minutes left. 3 straight running plays, 3 straight stuffs. Punt, Brady wins the game. So which is it? Kill clock or keep doing what got you the lead? Even Jerruh Jones said the Cowboys shouldn't have gotten conservative. Whatever doesn't work was the wrong thing I guess.

PTR

Deep sideline throws didn't get the lead.

As numerous people have said, how about a short pass to Chandler, or a screen? Brad Smith is supposed to be so elusive the open field - why not a reverse or end around to him?

all that stuff is into the middle of the field.. inside the 30 yard line there is no room for slants, TE throws etc. The only room is up the sidelines and in the end zone. That is what the Giants gave them and that is what Chan called. Really brilliant call. Fitz throws it 5 yards farther and we have him going to Hawaii. Give it up. Everything was perfect except the execution.

really...? cmon now

No, but you don't take away the 80 yard run, it was part of the game. :wallbash:

OK, let's leave the 80 yard run in the equation. So we have a 1 in 16 chance of running 80 yards and a 15 in 16 chance of running 2.7 yards. If we happen to get the 80 yard run (ok, 27) then we score right away and the Giants have too much time remaining just like the pass everyone is b!tching about! ;)

Let's try to figure out the best possible scenario: we run the ball on every down and gain just enough for the first down each time. There's 4:10 remaining from the 27 and we can run at most 35 seconds off the clock. After 3 downs we run off 1:45 so 1st down at the 16 with 2:25 remaining. After first down you're at the 12 and at the 2 minute warning. The next play you're at the 9, the Giants call time out with 1:55 remaining. 2nd we're at the 5 with 1:50 remaining and the Giants use their last timeout. At this point we HAVE to get the first down at the 2 or we kick the field goal with about 1:20 remaining. If we get the first down (and don't score a touchdown) we kneel a couple times and kick the field goal. So theoretically we could've run the clock out on a last second field goal.

The problem is, 1) there is no guarantee we could run that effectively (and in the latter part of the game we couldn't), and 2) everything would have to go right (including not gaining too many yards on a play and getting a first down before running 3 plays).

Personally I liked the call. I was so sick and tired of Jauronball (playing not to lose). Fitz made a bad pass. If it was good we get the touchdown and the Giants have 4 minutes to TIE THE GAME. Guess what, they might leave us some time to get into field goal range. To me we could play this "what if" game forever (and we probably will for at least the next 2 weeks :)) but I'd rather be agressive and play to win rather than sit back and play not to lose. Its just what winning teams do.

Edited by UpperDeck

I blame Fitz, Stevie was well covered, throw to someone else or throw it away. But don't throw the pick.

Look at it again. SJ was open but he had to come back to the ball because the pass was short. Fitz throws it 2 yards further = 7 pts.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Maybe not the time to go over the top in a tie game and the Giants already having wasted one of their TO's.

Lots of foolishness out there today but Chan still had a late lead on the table and gave it away....

It may not have been the best playcall, but Fitz has numerous reads to make and should have known not throw it there.. (always other options on a playcall Fitz just made the wrong choice it happens.)

I blame Fitz, Stevie was well covered, throw to someone else or throw it away. But don't throw the pick.

Stevie beat his man twice. If you can't tell the difference between good coverage and bad throws than drink less during the game. Stevie had to hit the brakes hard on both of those throws. If the passes were accurate, Stevie would have been 5 or 6 yards past Webster. Not good coverage.

Edited by RealityCheck

Its very simple.

Excellent playcall. Piss poor execution. Stevie was open, and last time i checked, a QB was supposed to throw to open WRs, especially ones that are open for a TD. Fitz just made a bad pass.

In that same situation, with the same coverage, i hope Chan calls that play 100/100 times and i hope Fitzy throws the ball to Stevie 100/100 times.

Stevie beat his man twice. If you can't tell the difference between good coverage and bad throws than drink less during the game. Stevie had to hit the brakes hard on both of those throws. If the passes were accurate, Stevie would have been 5 or 6 yards past Webster. Not good coverage.

I have to ask: is it not possible that Webster also had to slow down and come back to the ball and, having the inside, was in perfect position for the INT both times?

Stevie is a good receiver, yes, but you rarely see him "5 or 6 yards past" any cornerback.

Its one of those things where, if he completes the pass to Johnson, Gailey's a genius for being aggressive, everybody on TSW is ready for the Bills to sign Fitz and Stevie to extension, the Bills are 5-1 and Bills fans are on top of the world. But, since it didn't, Gailey is a moron, Fitz stinks "again" and we need a "franchise QB"...how one play can change alot, huh?

It's not a high percentage throw. But neither is it a high risk throw. A fade route with no safety over the top usually results in a completion or incompletion. It's rarely picked off. You have to royally screw up the throw to have it picked off... which is what Fitzpatrick did, twice.

Right on. If it were this incredibly low % + high risk parlay everyone pretends it is, it wouldn't be run so much across the league.

OK, let's leave the 80 yard run in the equation. So we have a 1 in 16 chance of running 80 yards and a 15 in 16 chance of running 2.7 yards. If we happen to get the 80 yard run (ok, 27) then we score right away and the Giants have too much time remaining just like the pass everyone is b!tching about! ;)

Maybe Freddie could've hit the speed burst/shoulder plow button (is that 'x' or 'y'?) to guarantee exactly 3.4 yards on every carry. :thumbsup:

A quarterback that takes a chance downfield to our playmaker is what I was wishing for when we had Trent Ewdards. Now we all want a timid safe throwing checkdown machine?

I don't think anyone is asking for a timind safe throwing checkdown machine, just a quarterback who makes the obvious smart throws. A little league QB knows on that pass you either complete it or over throw it, you cannot in any way allow the defender to have a chance at the ball.

no hindsight here. Read the shoutbox, I was calling for running plays once Fitz hit the pass to Nelson to get into NYG territory.

Hey, aren't u the 1 who told the bills 2 run the ball after the Nelson catch,,,,, great job, great job! Now everyone knows who posted that in the shout box! Great job!