The Call

Simon

7 > 3. I don't understand why people wanna settle for 3.

Again, folks are creating arguments that people are not making.

People don't want to settle for three. They want the game managed more skillfully in that situation.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from FJax 80 yard run, he had 15 carries for 41 yards. That's 2.7 ypc. How can people so confidently say that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock? And how much clock do you expect to burn being just outside the red zone? Especially since the Giants still had 2 time outs remaining.

2.7 yards x 3 downs, hmmmm... 8.1 yards and you never know he might have gained 5 on one carry. Anywho, worse case, the ball is inside the 20 and a good FG and NY gets the ball back with under 2 minutes. I'll take the lead and give NY as little time as possible.

Edited by FreakPop

All QB's make mistakes, some much more than others. Today, Fitz was in the "more than others" group. The play was there, twice, yet twice he threw a miserably under thown ball.

It happens. Fitz isn't perfect. No QB is. This team was never going to go 16-0. We're 4-2 heading into the bye week. We're trying to make the playoffs. This loss does not prevent that.

Really not sure why you're being so smarmy, but, IMO, when your defense is horrid, and you have the ball in FG range with 4:00 left in a tie game, the smart play is to run the ball.

Sorry, I'm just pissed on so many levels...the non-pass-interference call on the pass to Freddie in the 1st half, the Giants TD that wasn't a TD, the NFL abruptly cutting off the replay feed that non-TD, Fitz's INTs, Drayton Florence's total incompetence as an NFL cornerback, our defense not being able to stop NJ and get off the field, the fact that the refs having their calls made by Rocco in Las Vegas all afternoon...

Plus, I just spent the last 3 hours listening to Phil Simms :sick:

Anyway, on that particular play, the Bills were probably in Lindell's range - but with 4 minutes left and our D not able to shut the Giants down all afternoon. I think Gailey wanted to go up by 7 to be safe. So no, I don't have a big problem with the play selection - just the interception. But, as I said earlier, there were multiple reasons the Bills lost today - plenty of blame to go around.

Not gonna whine about it for the next two weeks though - it happened, it's over. Gotta put it behind us and regroup during the bye week...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Again, folks are creating arguments that people are not making.

People don't want to settle for three. They want the game managed more skillfully in that situation.

Exactly. Who's to say that the Bills don't burn 2:00 or more AND score a TD in the process?

no hindsight here. Read the shoutbox, I was calling for running plays once Fitz hit the pass to Nelson to get into NYG territory.

Running plays huh? Take away that 80 yarder and Freddie has a whopping 2.7 YPC. So what, we run it up the gut 3 times, settle for a field goal and expect our D to hold a 3 point game? There is no guarantee we score 7 by running the ball. The play was open.

Edited by Wayne333

If you execute, you're up 7 with 3 minutes to go, you give the D a chance to preserve the win for you, and you're in a situation where it would be very hard to lose in regulation.

:huh:

Have you seen this Defense play? Trying to run the clock down there and forcing the G-Men to (bare-minimum) use their TO's on that drive would prove to me that Gailey was well aware of the Bills weaknesses on Defense, therefore giving his Team every chance he can to win the Game...

It was a bad call because it did not work...It was a terrible call because it backfired big time... B-)

Running plays huh? Take away that 80 yarded and Freddie has a whopping 2.7 YPC. So what we run it up the gut 3 times, settle for a field goal and expect our D to hold a 3 point game?

right - there's no way that he could have gained 10 yards on 3 rushes.

Also, in my post that you originally quoted: Safe passes - screens, something short to Chandler - may have worked as well

Exactly...

The fact that Stevie beat his man and the throw was the difference is exactly why you don't call that play there...It's just too much risk at that point of the Game...Why risk it? The Bills had taken the crowd out at that point...They have a 1st and 10 with 4 mins left and they have one of the 3 best RB's in Football...They just over-gambled...Even if they score there they are giving Eli the Ball back with PLENTY of time...Bare minimum you want to force the Giants to use their TO's at that point...Gailey and Fitz basically handed the Giants the chance to win the Game in regulation there...It was a bad Call...If everything goes perfect, and Stevie scores there then great...But it back-fired big time....BIG TIME!!! B-)

Disagree.

3 possible scenarios.

Good pass, touchdown.

Overthrown pass, incomplete.

Underthrown pass, interception.

I'm counting two good outcomes to one bad one.

Fitz cannot underthrow the pass, just as he can't take sacks to take us out of field goal range.

I love Fitz, but his lack of execution on that play is the salient point, not the play call.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

most of the 1st half i was getting furious with the amount of saftey blitzes with george wilson. this was really confusing for me. cost us a ton of point in the 1st hal. also the d-line stopped getting their hands up. thats got to be coached. i like gailey, but the things we normally do well where misexecuted this week and it cost us the game.

that and both int's where fitzies fault

Edited by Mango

You like a play call where the risk outweighs the reward?

That's ........ unique.

My fault. If Fitz executed, the play had little risk. It would have been either a touchdown or an incompletion. Fitz made way too many mental errors today. Seeing his receiver with a step in that instance, an underthrown football is completely inexcusable. Also, taking back to back sacks with his team in field goal range is the functional equivalent of a turnover. I didn't mind the call today, because it seemed to me a primary example of Gailey allowing his play makers to make plays. Fitz failed. If he continues to fail in big situations, than it would be on the coach to take a far more conservative approach in those situations.

C'mon Simon.

I think the risk did outweigh the reward at that point; that's why I didn't care for that option.

That route is a potential turnover and the risk of that was far greater than the reward of a quick TD.

Hitting that quick slant to Stevie that they hadn't thrown in a while followed by Fred behind Corey / Wood puts you down to 2:30 with likely either a 1st down or a manageable 3rd down with minimal risk of the one bad thing that can really hurt your chances to win the game right there. Or you go after that out to Nelson again who shines at big moments. Or you spread them out and pull Stevie in on that slipscreen. At that point, there were just so many smarter ways to manage the game where the reward was greater than the risk.

:huh:

Have you seen this Defense play? Trying to run the clock down there and forcing the G-Men to (bare-minimum) use their TO's on that drive would prove to me that Gailey was well aware of the Bills weaknesses on Defense, therefore giving his Team every chance he can to win the Game...

It was a bad call because it did not work...It was a terrible call because it backfired big time... B-)

The Giants scored 3 touchdowns today. No, the defense did not play well, but its not like they were giving up touchdowns on every single drive. And besides, if the defense is as bad as everyone says, what makes you think they can hold the Giants after three runs and a field goal attempt. There would be, what, 2 minutes left?

And its *Eli Manning*.

I'm just trying to argue that the quick 7 would not have been a bad situation to be in. The play was set up perfectly. Fitz just threw the ball like a little girl.

Edited by janicks

I think the risk did outweigh the reward at that point; that's why I didn't care for that option.

That route is a potential turnover and the risk of that was far greater than the reward of a quick TD.

Hitting that quick slant to Stevie that they hadn't thrown in a while followed by Fred behind Corey / Wood puts you down to 2:30 with likely either a 1st down or a manageable 3rd down with minimal risk of the one bad thing that can really hurt your chances to win the game right there. Or you go after that out to Nelson again who shines at big moments. Or you spread them out and pull Stevie in on that slipscreen. At that point, there were just so many smarter ways to manage the game where the reward was greater than the risk.

I'm just about talked out on this subject between all the threads… we'll agree to disagree.

But that wasn't my point that you just responded to.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Maybe not the time to go over the top in a tie game and the Giants already having wasted one of their TO's.

Lots of foolishness out there today but Chan still had a late lead on the table and gave it away....

Since the score was tied I assume you are implying they had 3 points in the bag but we saw them get knoocked out of FG range in the 2nd quarter so nothing was certain. One penalty, one sack and who knows?

I am not sure if Chan made the call or if Fitz made the call but Stevie was open and a properly executed play would yield either 6 points or an overthrown pass.

I put this on Fitz. Poorly executed plays are always subject to scrutiny as this one surely is.

Why ask him to throw that route there?

I'm not demanding he throw Fred and Corey into the middle of the pile, but there was NO need to attack the endzone in that situation

Because it should be a basic NFL throw. It isn't asking the world of your team to run that play without a turnover.

Stop making excuses for Fitzpatrick. The coach did not lose this game. Fitz is clearly not the answer at QB. While Chan has molded an offensive system that will make Fitz look like a Superstar, he will always fail when attempting to go for those bombs or long passing plays because of lack of arm strength.

post of the day. end it right here

No, Fitzpatrick royally screwed up. That son of a motherless goat! Also, the defense cannot continue to get abused like that. No sacks, 2 pass interference plays and Bradshaw seeing too much daylight.