Defensive concerns

mabden

Recent posts indicate some on TBD think that Buffalo's current defensive pace is unsustainable. Giving up large amounts of yards per game versus takeaways. With 16 takeaways in 5 games = 3.2 per game times 16 games, the Bills are on pace for 51.

The 1984 Seattle Seahawks hold the NFL record for most takeaways in a single season with 63.

Recent posts indicate some on TBD think that Buffalo's current defensive pace is unsustainable. Giving up large amounts of yards per game versus takeaways. With 16 takeaways in 5 games = 3.2 per game times 16 games, the Bills are on pace for 51.

The 1984 Seattle Seahawks hold the NFL record for most takeaways in a single season with 63.

.....and which side of the fence are you on?

.....and which side of the fence are you on?

I believe the Bills can maintain their efforts, improve their run defense some more, and looking at the teams ahead, I don't see any explosive offensive teams other than NE and SD. Possibly the NY Jets or Giants could provide some offensive firepower, but also higher turnover opportunities.

While I don;t think they would beat the record, they should keep pace with their aggressive style and mindset.

I believe the Bills can maintain their efforts, improve their run defense some more, and looking at the teams ahead, I don't see any explosive offensive teams other than NE and SD. Possibly the NY Jets or Giants could provide some offensive firepower, but also higher turnover opportunities.

While I don;t think they would beat the record, they should keep pace with their aggressive style and mindset.

What about the pass defense? These guys are a sieve out there, giving up 280 approx. / game.

I for one do not think we will keep up this pace.....a lot of these are coming from lucky bounces.

I am hoping that our 3rd down stoppage starts getting it together and start getting opposing offenses off the field that way.....I really do.

I think it's not as much luck as many think - there seems to be a concerted effort on our dline's part to get their hands (and heads) up when the qb is throwing the ball.

I loved those old Seahawk teams. Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Curt Warner....they were fun to watch

Easley is one of the greatest players ever.

Defensive Rookie of the Year… 5-time First Team All Pro, 1984 Defensive Player of the Year… and NFL All-1980s Team.

If his career hadn't been ended by kidney disease he likely would have been a first ballot HOFer. That 1981 draft was pretty impressive… Lawrence Taylor 2nd overall, Easley 4th, and Ronnie Lott 8th.

As far as the Bills D regarding turnovers, those will probably go down but I'm expecting this defense to improve every week and to be a strong unit by season's end… making the "sustainability" of the turnovers, somewhat moot.

I think the pace is unsustainable and the result of lucky bounces. On the other hand, as Thomas Jefferson said, "the harder I work, the luckier I get" so perhaps there is some argument to be made that hte Bills are creating their own luck here. That aside, I'm looking for improvement from out pass rush to create more INT's. Sheppard will be much improved by years end, and Batten needs to see the field more and is going to be a good LB. Look at the difference Barnett has made over Puz!

I think it's not as much luck as many think - there seems to be a concerted effort on our dline's part to get their hands (and heads) up when the qb is throwing the ball.

I've noticed that as well. Next, I'd like to see the LB's hitting the QB's while the D-line knocks down the passes!

I'm not concerned. A W is a W. A lot of the turnovers are a result of putting pressure on the QB and taking the football away from people. It's our new D philosophy. I'm hoping we get better at stopping offenses. I was at the game Sunday and receivers were catching footballs with the nearest DB 10 yards away running free in the secondary. That's got to stop. I'm thinking it will.

We're 4-1. No sense doom and glooming it. We'll see what happens in due time.

I really don't think that all these turnovers are result of "lucky bounces". Maybe the last INT of the Eagles game where the ball was ripped out of Avant's hands by Florence and picked off by Barnett could be considered lucky; I think it was a great play by Florence to jar the ball loose and good hands by Barnett to hold on to it.

You don't force Tom Brady to throw 4 INT's because you're lucky; that was a great defensive effort. This defense forced Brady to throw the same amount of INT's he threw all of last season.

Mike Vick had never thrown 4 INT's in his entire career. That wasn't sheer luck either. The defense was all over the place in the right position. They were in Vick's face forcing poor throws and finishing the play with the pick.

I just don't buy that all of this defense's success is luck. They have been making great plays by creating pressure, forcing bad throws, and being in the right position.

edit:

Yardage is way up all around the league. This isn't your daddy's NFL; teams are going to pile up yardage. Tom Brady, Wes Welker, and Bill Belichick are going to move the ball and get their yards. They are just too good of an offense too shut down yardage wise. The same goes for Mike Vick, DeShaun Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, LeShaun McCoy... you're not going to just shut down those guys. They are an explosive offense that can move the ball with ease.

Edited by smapdi

I just don't buy that all of this defense's success is luck. They have been making great plays by creating pressure, forcing bad throws, and being in the right position.

Right on. You make your own breaks.

I did see Kurt Warner on TV though say that all those picks were "fluke plays". What does he know about football anyway?

Edited by reddogblitz

We have a lot of young and new players on the D. The D can stop opposing drives with a strong DL + good DB or through turnovers (allowing yards in the process). As our D matures and gels, this balance will change.

That or maybe I dont know wtf I am talking about and GEdwards sucks :P