Colts roster this season

nemhoff

The Colts keep losing starters...to the tune of 2-3 a week. They have to be considering throwing this season into the can and looking at next year. What if, and it is a huge if, they are picking first next April and nab Andrew Luck to sit behind Manning for a couple of years?? Talk about good fortune - they go from having 12 years of a one franchise QB to potentially another decade of one of the best college QB's to come out the last 20 years.

And they don't have to pay him 80 million dollars...they will get away with paying him third of that for 4-5 years.

My question to you is: if this were the Bills would you be OK with throwing 2011-2012 season away to get the #1 pick?

I posted this in August when I heard Manning might be iffy.

The Colts are a 3 or 4 win team without Manning. It's unreal what he does for the entire franchise. Without him, no Super Bowl victory, no playoff streak, no new Stadium, no hosting the Super Bowl, no ticket sales, no coaching stability, etc.

While it's frustrating that they might "luck" out again, I'd rather see Andrew Luck go there than to Miami or KC.

The Colts keep losing starters...to the tune of 2-3 a week. They have to be considering throwing this season into the can and looking at next year. What if, and it is a huge if, they are picking first next April and nab Andrew Luck to sit behind Manning for a couple of years?? Talk about good fortune - they go from having 12 years of a one franchise QB to potentially another decade of one of the best college QB's to come out the last 20 years.

And they don't have to pay him 80 million dollars...they will get away with paying him third of that for 4-5 years.

My question to you is: if this were the Bills would you be OK with throwing 2011-2012 season away to get the #1 pick?

Yes, I would like us to throw away the next 7-8 seasons so we can get the No.1 every year.

We were talking about this at work recently. There is some precedent like this in pro sports. The San Antonio Spurs had some great seasons w/ David Robinson and either won their division or finished 2nd for 7 straight years. If you check the history, Robinson got hurt for the 1996-97 season and they went 20-62. The Spurs totally lucked out and won the draft lottery that season and got Tim Duncan. This pissed off alot of teams that had perennial losing seasons and of course the Spurs went on to win 4 Championships over the next 10 years (and seemingly were in the finals or semi-finals every year).

There's your history lesson. Could this be similar to the 2012 draft fortunes of the Indy Colts? We'll see.

nope i wouldn't be ok to throw this season away. I want to see my bills try their best to win games and make it to the playoffs.

Exactly. Just win baby!! You can't play for the draft. You gotta go out there and turn this thing around. This is the week to do it. We have a cornered dog in the Eagles. It's time to kick them when they're down. The Defense needs to show up this week and every week. They shouldn't be letting our opponents get 400+ yds a game.

Edited by mattsox

Luck may turn out to be a great QB, but is that what the Colts need? Manning isn't just a good QB- he's the HC and OC and he runs a very unique offense the likes of nothing else in the league. In order to sustain the success they've had with Manning they would have to make a few adjustments to their offensive personnel and coaching staff. Any successor to Manning (unless he teaches them his ways and they have his authority and leadership abilities) is going to force a rebuild.

Luck will be a great QB, but the NFL is different from the college game...nobody can guarantee he'll be the next big thing!

He has to be in the right system...with an organization dedicated to keeping their schemes up to date and having a good foundation of players surrounding the young QB...

For example: Say if Luck goes to Miami...Luck could be easily become another Tebow, Alex Smith, Harrington, Quinn, Carr, Couch...and yes...even Leaf!

It's all about the system...assisting the young QB with the learning curve of the pro game!