The occupy Wall Street movement spreads

Listen, I happen to believe there are some honest grievances within the movement, but the way the movement has been covered by the media relative to the Tea Party movement is an embarrassment of true journalism. Don't you remember seeing on Politico all the images of some Kooky looking white dude yelling with a story that had racial implications? I certainly do.

The reason for the hypocrisy is quite simple, they sympathize with OWS crowd and loathe what the Tea Party stands for. That's it.

In fairness to at least this point, there has been a lot of coverage of the asshattery of these protestors.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Magox, you asked it here first but I'm hung up on it today: Why were the Tea Party rallies, which were so much bigger, not filled with violence like these protests?

"Mostly peaceful" makes it into all the stories today...along with broken windows, M80 launchers, throwing bottles, breaking into a building, people locked in stores for fear of safety, others not being able to go to work...and 40 arrests. Sorry, that's a violent protest.

What is wrong with violent protest... Hey what ever floats your boat, just as long as the ones doing it accept the consequences.

:P

not understanding that there was so much more to it than an unorganized mob walking the streets and chanting.

Why not? After all, it's all what they show on TV news clips from the '60s.

What is wrong with violent protest... Hey what ever floats your boat, just as long as the ones doing it accept the consequences.

:P

I was just watching a video from occupy Oakland- 30 to 50 masked all in black "anarchists" were going around spray painting and trying to do property damage - other protesters were getting between them and the buildings trying to protect the property leading to quite a few scuffles- between the black flag crowd, the police directing the homeless and mentally disturbed to OWS, and the cold weather coming I'd probably set a date to wrap up the street protests and switch to political and economic actions and bring back the protests in May.

In fairness to at least this point, there has been a lot of coverage of the asshattery of these protestors.

That's not my point, I agree that there has been a lot of reports and accounts of their "asshattery", but there hasn't been a negative narrative tied to the journalist accounts such as what we saw during the healthcare debate about the tea partiers.

That's not my point, I agree that there has been a lot of reports and accounts of their "asshattery", but there hasn't been a negative narrative tied to the journalist accounts such as what we saw during the healthcare debate about the tea partiers.

Wait what about FOX .............oh yeah you said journalists.

I was just watching a video from occupy Oakland- 30 to 50 masked all in black "anarchists" were going around spray painting and trying to do property damage - other protesters were getting between them and the buildings trying to protect the property leading to quite a few scuffles- between the black flag crowd, the police directing the homeless and mentally disturbed to OWS, and the cold weather coming I'd probably set a date to wrap up the street protests and switch to political and economic actions and bring back the protests in May.

Power to the anarchists!

What an embarrassing mess this has become. Stay classy, OWS. The president has your back!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRij-_SnIMM&feature=player_embedded

Wait what about FOX .............oh yeah you said journalists.

Of course, Fox is the other end of the spectrum, they have been looking for anything that could be seen as negative to the movement. I've always said that the reason why Fox is as successful as they are is mainly for one reason and that is they are the counterweight to the rest of the media. Since the rest of the networks have either a liberal bias or slant to them and Fox is basically the only network that is to the right (other than CNBC which I would say leans more to the right) they have been able to consolidate viewers who have a like-minded viewpoint.

The Tea Partiers got plenty of soft press, while the blogs and second level of press cut through to the hick racists.

For OWS, the press is mostly downplaying the violence though, which is baffling.

I walked upstream through a protest yesterday in Philly. I looked every bit the corporate enemy since I had a meeting. No one did anything besides direct their "What do we want" chant answer of "equality" in my direction. Maybe 2-300 people. Hippie/homeless leaders, some students, and a few people on their lunch break who just decided to go along for free pot brownies.

Power to the anarchists!

What an embarrassing mess this has become. Stay classy, OWS. The president has your back!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=pRij-_SnIMM&feature=player_embedded

That's ummmm pretty chaotic. If you noticed it isn't just a couple people who are causing all this havoc, but the crowd is very supportive of all these actions. When the Tea party was cast as racists, they would find one loon from the crowd of 20,000 who had some sort of racist sign and then the entire rally was depicted as racists because of that one loon, whereas here you can see that at least a good portion of that crowd is supportive of these actions.

That's ummmm pretty chaotic. If you noticed it isn't just a couple people who are causing all this havoc, but the crowd is very supportive of all these actions. When the Tea party was cast as racists, they would find one loon from the crowd of 20,000 who had some sort of racist sign and then the entire rally was depicted as racists because of that one loon, whereas here you can see that at least a good portion of that crowd is supportive of these actions.

This may seem a bit of a stretch, but when I watch these folks (and to some extent, the Pelosis and Obamas who extend their support), and I see them cheering on the havoc, it constantly reminds me of Brigitte Nielson as the wife of Ivan Drago, sitting in the audience as Drago is pounding the living crap out of Apollo Creed, and there's a quick shot where you can see the bloodlust in her eyes. She doesn't want the fight to end because she's getting hotter just watching her husband pound to death another person. At this point, the fight is over. But he keeps pounding him because the fight can't be over until someone dies.

That's what I see going on with this. A bunch of hyped up dolts pounding and pounding on property and flesh while the Brigitte Nielsons stand by to cheer because, the truth is, if they stop pounding and stop beating, their fight would be over and no one would be paying attention to them.

And even if I'm wrong, I'm happy to slip in an obscure Ivan Drago/Brigitte Nielson reference anyway.

:lol: :lol:

So true.

I can see it now... "Hey guys, it is warm in Miami, NOLA, and Houston... ROAD TRIP!!!"

This may seem a bit of a stretch, but when I watch these folks (and to some extent, the Pelosis and Obamas who extend their support), and I see them cheering on the havoc, it constantly reminds me of Brigitte Nielson as the wife of Ivan Drago, sitting in the audience as Drago is pounding the living crap out of Apollo Creed, and there's a quick shot where you can see the bloodlust in her eyes. She doesn't want the fight to end because she's getting hotter just watching her husband pound to death another person. At this point, the fight is over. But he keeps pounding him because the fight can't be over until someone dies.

That's what I see going on with this. A bunch of hyped up dolts pounding and pounding on property and flesh while the Brigitte Nielsons stand by to cheer because, the truth is, if they stop pounding and stop beating, their fight would be over and no one would be paying attention to them.

And even if I'm wrong, I'm happy to slip in an obscure Ivan Drago/Brigitte Nielson reference anyway.

:lol:

And the Oakland PD is left very confused...

Oakland PD

Just a thought but isn't forcing the closure of a major port like Oakland almost a act of war or terrorism? I mean, can you imagine the outcry from the media if it was a Tea Party rally that did this?

Edited by Dante