In Hindsight

In this weekly installment of Hindsight

1) Bell, Pears and Rhindhart have played well for the most part this season but they were exposed today. Urbik should have been healthy and we should have signed a OT in FA

2) We should have run blocked better, the bengals line handled us all day. and Freddy had no where to go especially on 2nd and short

3) The Tuck rule should have been abolished years ago. That TD that was negated was huge.

4) The defense should have forced more TO's in the second half. Thats what Mac said in the Shoutbox, I guess 6 in two games isnt enough

5) We shouldnt have underestimated Cinci's D. They were ranked 3rd for a reason. Held the #1 scoring offense to 13 points.

6) We should have never released Maybin. Anyone see that strip sack fallowed by Sanchez's pick 6? That could have been Fitzy's pick 6.... sigh

7) With a 17 to 3 lead at the half, we should have been blitzing like crazy... rattle the young QB and make him make mistakes... two picks the in the first half, he was ripe for a few more

8) We shouldn't have beat NE last week, but we did so eat it Belicheck you smug !@#$

9) The wildcat should have been utilized more. Freddy was having very little success running on second and short, maybe Brad would have had better luck

10) The Jets should be better. I heard they were going to win the Super Bowl this year, but Sanchez looks like a Freshman in HS right now

11) We should have won this game. But in the first quarter of the season we are 3-1. Thats a great accomplishment and some we should be proud of. This team will play better than they did today.

12) We should have drafted Jimmy Clausen ;)

13) We shouldnt have drilled into the moon :oops:

Go Bills

Instead of worrying about intentional grounding penalties, coaches should start teaching QBs how to utilize the tuck rule. You don't even need to be outside the tackles! You feel pressure, nobody's open, no problem. Tuck it!

2) We should have run blocked better, the bengals line handled us all day. and Freddy had no where to go especially on 2nd and short

9) The wildcat should have been utilized more. Freddy was having very little success running on second and short, maybe Brad would have had better luck

The Bills ran on 2nd down 10 times. 9 of those 10 runs were Freddy.

How do you define 2nd and short? Let's say <3 yds? That would be 6 runs, 5 of those runs were Freddy

2-1 for 21 yds

2-1 no gain

2-1 4 yds

2-1 4 yds

2-3 -2 yds

So 3 out of 5 times he moved the chains. Not sure what success looks like on 2nd and short? Is Hindsight not always 20/20?

The -2 yd stuff was particularly ugly - Maualaga came flying into the backfield like he was Jet-propelled.

I don't think Brad would have had better luck without better blocking, and better blocking would have sprung Freddy.

The Bills ran on 2nd down 10 times. 9 of those 10 runs were Freddy.

How do you define 2nd and short? Let's say <3 yds? That would be 6 runs, 5 of those runs were Freddy

2-1 for 21 yds

2-1 no gain

2-1 4 yds

2-1 4 yds

2-3 -2 yds

So 3 out of 5 times he moved the chains. Not sure what success looks like on 2nd and short? Is Hindsight not always 20/20?

The -2 yd stuff was particularly ugly - Maualaga came flying into the backfield like he was Jet-propelled.

I don't think Brad would have had better luck without better blocking, and better blocking would have sprung Freddy.

Evem Spiller was able to convert on 3rd and 1. The OL had a good game, not spectacular but it did a fine job. Fitz was off target today and the offense couldn't find its rythm.

The Bills were overwhelming favorites in Las Vegas......just sayin.........a man could make a LOT of money if he put money on Cincy today..........and coincidentally had a say in the game, like maybe a 60 yr old back judge who might retire soon and might need some cash...hmmm-

Just sayin'

Evem Spiller was able to convert on 3rd and 1. The OL had a good game, not spectacular but it did a fine job. Fitz was off target today and the offense couldn't find its rythm.

Wow, I both agree and disagree. It's really hard to tell unless someone on the Bills "dishes". The OL was OK, but they allowed run-stuffing penetration at key, awkward times. Maualaga spent too much time in our backfield and they were stopping us consistently with short gains. I didn't see the run blocking I saw against Oak and NE. I also didn't see Chandler and McIntyre being used in blocking as much this week. Maybe I missed it.

I felt the deep plays were by design, trying to get the Bengals to back off and challenge them 1 on 1. I could be wrong. The thing is, deep balls are always lower-percentage for most QB and they aren't Fitz's strength. He can make them successfully when he has time to set and turn his body. On the shorter stuff, he was OK, had some drops. Again, I could be mistaken, I felt we had stuff going on with Chandler and they'd send him out and go back to a 4 wideout set that wasn't working. I felt it was frustrating play-calling, not well conceived for our strengths and the Bengals weaknesses and not adapting quickly enough.

But again, maybe I'm wrong and the people who finger Fitz and the offense are right.

I worry that Chan isn't doing enough self-scouting to try to diagnose what the issues with the slow offensive starting may be.

I also worry that maybe he's too even keeled and doesn't light into his guys for sloppy play at halftime sometimes when maybe he should (like today). But then again, how effective is that kind of thing outside of movies?

Wow, I both agree and disagree. It's really hard to tell unless someone on the Bills "dishes". The OL was OK, but they allowed run-stuffing penetration at key, awkward times. Maualaga spent too much time in our backfield and they were stopping us consistently with short gains. I didn't see the run blocking I saw against Oak and NE. I also didn't see Chandler and McIntyre being used in blocking as much this week. Maybe I missed it.

I felt the deep plays were by design, trying to get the Bengals to back off and challenge them 1 on 1. I could be wrong. The thing is, deep balls are always lower-percentage for most QB and they aren't Fitz's strength. He can make them successfully when he has time to set and turn his body. On the shorter stuff, he was OK, had some drops. Again, I could be mistaken, I felt we had stuff going on with Chandler and they'd send him out and go back to a 4 wideout set that wasn't working. I felt it was frustrating play-calling, not well conceived for our strengths and the Bengals weaknesses and not adapting quickly enough.

But again, maybe I'm wrong and the people who finger Fitz and the offense are right.

I worry that Chan isn't doing enough self-scouting to try to diagnose what the issues with the slow offensive starting may be.

I also worry that maybe he's too even keeled and doesn't light into his guys for sloppy play at halftime sometimes when maybe he should (like today). But then again, how effective is that kind of thing outside of movies?

don't you realize that this is all one giant conspiracy that reaches into the highest levels of the nfl? chan is obviously in on it, as is buddy. the wheels are in motion. soon, the bills will suffer spiraling attendance figures ultimately leading to their relocation to toronto or los angeles.

the truth is out there.

Edited by Dirtbag

Woud like to see McEntyre used more in the running game. On freddy's touchtown run he threw a devastating block.Chan has some cool running plays but didn't show a lot of diversity in the running game today. You can only do so much out of the shotgun.

It happens every game, the other team makes plays too, doesn't mean you're being exposed or dominated as Captain implied in his initial post. I never felt that was the case in this game or the year for that matter. The OL won and lost some battles up front, but for the most part Fitz had time to throw and Fredie averaged 3.9 YPC, sometimes, as you said, the right defensive call makes you think you failed at some aspect of the game. Perception is everything sometimes.

I feel the players were deflated in this game after an emotional win last week. Fitz was off today and at times, he seemed to force the ball to Jones a little too much. On days like this, where the offense is struggling, his go to guy should be Stevie, who had a quiet game.

The Bills averaged 4 yards per carry and allowed Fitz to get sacked once.

The O-line wasn't the problem today. The problem was the inability of the Bills D to stop Cinci in the 2nd Half and the failure of the passing game to generate any chunk yardage.

The Bengals dared the Bills to beat them down the field and the Bills couldn't do it.

Fitz was off on some throws and the receivers weren't getting much separation and dropped some difficult throws.

It was a bad game where they matched up pretty well against us and we didn't out-play them. One bad game doesn't ruin a season if we don't let it. Credit to the Cinnci team, they have really improved on D (and are better than I thought they were just in general) even if we were not firing on all cylinders. Oh and I have seen some badly officiated games in the past but this one rates right up there.

The Bills were overwhelming favorites in Las Vegas......just sayin.........a man could make a LOT of money if he put money on Cincy today..........and coincidentally had a say in the game, like maybe a 60 yr old back judge who might retire soon and might need some cash...hmmm-

Just sayin'

So he would be willing to risk prison time at his age plus the loss of his job to make a few bucks on a game. Stop being delusional. True there were some bad calls but stop with this BS it is pathetic.

The O-line wasn't the problem today. The problem was the inability of the Bills D to stop Cinci in the 2nd Half and the failure of the passing game to generate any chunk yardage.

The Bengals dared the Bills to beat them down the field and the Bills couldn't do it.

Fitz was off on some throws and the receivers weren't getting much separation and dropped some difficult throws.

I have to disagree here, SJ. During Gailey's post game, a reporter mentions that Cincy stayed in Nickel often today regardless of how we lined up, and faced our running game with those 6 guys up front. Gailey appears to agree with that assessment. In my opinion they focused on our passing game while daring us to win the battles up front and run on them. Jackson, who came into the game with an absurd ypc mark, was held under 4 per attempt for the first time this season. With Cincy playing defense this way, I agree with many posters saying we should have lined up with McIntyre and put more focus on a power running game.

As Wagon Circler mentions, there's only so much you can do with the running game out of the shotgun. It got predictable at a certain point.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

I have to disagree here, SJ. During Gailey's post game, a reporter mentions that Cincy stayed in Nickel often today regardless of how we lined up, and faced our running game with those 6 guys up front. Gailey appears to agree with that assessment. In my opinion they focused on our passing game while daring us to win the battles up front and run on them. Jackson, who came into the game with an absurd ypc mark, was held under 4 per attempt for the first time this season. With Cincy playing defense this way, I agree with many posters saying we should have lined up with McIntyre and put more focus on a power running game.

As Wagon Circler mentions, there's only so much you can do with the running game out of the shotgun. It got predictable at a certain point.

This, plus I would see Chandler come in for a successful play and then go out, in favor of 4 WR plus Freddie.

With Maualaga getting the penetration he got it seems like Chandler would be a good choice to leave in. I have seen him throw good blocks to spring Freddy, plus he seems to have the knack for having his 6'7" bod go unnoticed in the passing game.

It's hard to tell what's going on sometimes though as Nelson is also quite tall. Can anyone who was there comment on the personnel sets?

Edited by Hopeful

Save for a few runs, the running game was stuffed more often than not. What it looked like to me was that the Bills were more concerned about being a left handed when running so they ran more to the right. The combo of Reinhart and Pears did not do anything to change that against Cinci.

Hairston filled in decently for Bell in pass protection, but didn't do much for the run. either.

All in all, this was a game like those we've seen far too often the past decade, it was yet another the Bills let get away from them.

All this and I still say Johnson made that catch, it was a 1st down, and likely for us to have gotten points.

Just sayin'

Actually, Buffalo was only a 2.5 point favorite...

your analysis is always dead-on...they would have won this game had they done exactly what you observed...you have a gift my friend.... :worthy:

1) Bell, Pears and Rhindhart have played well for the most part this season but they were exposed today. Urbik should have been healthy and we should have signed a OT in FA

3) The Tuck rule should have been abolished years ago. That TD that was negated was huge.

4) The defense should have forced more TO's in the second half. Thats what Mac said in the Shoutbox, I guess 6 in two games isnt enough

5) We shouldnt have underestimated Cinci's D. They were ranked 3rd for a reason. Held the #1 scoring offense to 13 points.

6) We should have never released Maybin. Anyone see that strip sack fallowed by Sanchez's pick 6? That could have been Fitzy's pick 6.... sigh

7) With a 17 to 3 lead at the half, we should have been blitzing like crazy... rattle the young QB and make him make mistakes... two picks the in the first half, he was ripe for a few more

8) We shouldn't have beat NE last week, but we did so eat it Belicheck you smug !@#$

10) The Jets should be better. I heard they were going to win the Super Bowl this year, but Sanchez looks like a Freshman in HS right now

11) We should have won this game. But in the first quarter of the season we are 3-1. Thats a great accomplishment and some we should be proud of. This team will play better than they did today.

12) We should have drafted Jimmy Clausen ;)

13) We shouldnt have drilled into the moon :oops:

Go Bills