Demote Edwards Now!

RyanC883

The Bills aren't playing a true 3-4 or 4-3, they are playing a Hybrid, with a 3-4 "base". They want to be able to switch between the 2 defences depending on the situation and to try and throw off the opposing offences.

And why does everyone think that Edwards is at fault for all of this and Wandstadt would be an improvement? Do you think that the stache is just sitting there watching games collecting a paycheck and doing nothing? He is part of the coaching staff and has input on the defence too, only difference is that Edwards is the guy on the sidelines actually sending the calls into the defence

Because he's won a couple of Superbowls as a defensive coordinator. That's a pretty big reason why given that Edwards is such an unknown. The first month of the year a "contending" team is supposed to recognize their problems and fix them for the playoff push. The Bills clearly have a major problem on defense and you can't change your roster any more. I understand being loyal, but why did they bring on Wanny if not for this very situation they are facing? They're the ones who hired him and made him a subordinate under a virtual "nobody's ever heard of" DC. This is a very interesting situation. Can't blame the fans for asking the obvious questions.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he's won a couple of Superbowls as a defensive coordinator. That's a pretty big reason why given that Edwards is such an unknown. The first month of the year a "contending" team is supposed to recognize their problems and fix them for the playoff push. The Bills clearly have a major problem on defense and you can't change your roster any more. I understand being loyal, but why did they bring on Wanny if not for this very situation they are facing? They're the ones who hired him and made him a subordinate under a virtual "nobody's ever heard of" DC. This is a very interesting situation. Can't blame the fans for asking the obvious questions.

But do you really think that Dave W is just sitting around doing nothing, having no input on the defence at this time? What is his role exactly with the team then? How does anyone know that this isn't his game plan that Edwards is using, or the 2 of them are colaborating together on the game plan?

I agree with other posters in that the defense lacked the intensity yesterday, and that was the key.

When you are up 21-3, it's not a question of 4-3 or 3-4 alignments. It's about closing out a game.

I hate to say it, but I think the team overlooked the Bengals. I think the defense rested on the lead, and Gailey pulled an Andy Reid and thought his game plan was superior and needed no changes.

Atypical showing all around, hopefully. Success is dangerous. You tend to take a break, thinking you can get away with it.

I did, sorry

Barnett for starters, Dwan Edwards isnt exactly a Rush End either.

My point is good teams don't make rash moves after a few games. Especially when the D has forced 6 INTS in the last two games and the team is 3-1. We got out worked yesterday. Cinci pushed us around. Bringing in an undersized backer at OLB and putting our 3rd string MLB in isnt going to change that.

Good teams go watch the film, get pissed off, work their asses off and beat Philly on Sunday.

I think our main problem is the secondary too. Mcgee and Williams out is hurting us more than people realize. Justin Rogers is a nice story but he was a 7th round pick for a reason

Barnett was an All Pro MLB playing in Green Bay's 4-3. Williams is better suited as a DT. Dareus is an animal anywhere. Kelsay is better suited as a 4-3 DE. We really wouldn't be playing many guys out of position if we ran strictly a 4-3. We would need a quality starter at DE opposite of Kelsay and some OLBs that can actually drop into coverage. We're pretty much caught in the middle of the 2 schemes personnel wise. Which doesn't make sense if they want to run a hybrid but mainly play with 4 down lineman.

There just isn't enough talent right now on this defense. Even if someone different was handling the defensive schemes, it would be a challenge to cover up the shortcomings of McKelvin covering WR, the linebackers covering TEs on pass plays, and the DL stopping RBs going around the outside of the line.

Firing the DC after four weeks...with the team 3-1.

Thats a good move and the sign of a calm, rational organization that thinks hard.

This team isn't going to score 37 points every game to help us win. At some point, our defense is going to have to step up and be the deciding factor for us. Our defense was exposed yesterday because they couldn't hide behind another dominating offensive performance. This is the same lack of creativity and QB pressure we saw last season. We're much more talented and there's no excuse for it this time around.

I want to see stunts, blitzes, ANY kind of defensive creativity.

This team isn't going to score 37 points every game to help us win. At some point, our defense is going to have to step up and be the deciding factor for us. Our defense was exposed yesterday because they couldn't hide behind another dominating offensive performance. This is the same lack of creativity and QB pressure we saw last season. We're much more talented and there's no excuse for it this time around.

I want to see stunts, blitzes, ANY kind of defensive creativity.

The defence only needed the offence to put up more then 23 yesterday (thats 2 TD's less then the 37 you asked for), and the defence helped them out by spotting them 7 to get them going (should have been 14, but I digress). An offence thats was previously putting up 30+ points a game against atleast 2 good teams should be expected to score more then the 13 they scored yesterday

When you play a rookie QB, we should have blitzed the hell out of him. Andy Dalton is not Tom Brady. So sick of watching opposing teams offense dictate to our D every single play. It's like we have no plan at all. So predictable too. Rush 4, drop 7, let them gain 5 yards or more. Its time to run some plays where our D does the dictating to offenses and forces them into mistakes. This is just like Jauron bend but dont break. There is no creativity. And why the hell does Merriman have his hand on the ground every single snap. He is a stand up edge rusher. Put him on the same side as Dareus and opposing teams will really have to account for that side. Put players in the position where they will succeed the most George. That is your job.

There better be some sort of D game plan next week to get PRESSURE on Vick, or we lose. We all know he doesn't like to get hit, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER QB IN THE LEAGUE. LET THE DOGS OUT!

3 out of 4 weeks we had relatively easy offenses to game plan for...this week being the easiest! Let's see...the strength of Cinci's offense is Benson, considering they have a rookie QB and the only WR that's any good is also a rookie. Said rookie QB is comming off a week where he was sacked 5 times and threw 2 picks...How hard is it George? Put 8 guys in the box to stuff Benson and force the Ginger to throw....mix in some blitz packages and put pressure on the rook...boom, game over! We saw, with little pressure, the kid throw some baad balls, 2 int's, and he didn't exactly protect the ball well...tuck!?

I think Chan will give him until the bye to get things sured up, but if teams continue to put up the god awefull #'s they have thus far, Edwards may not just get demoted, he may get ran out of here. I completely disagree, by the way...Personally, I give him this week to show major improvement in his ability to call a D, and the next week to see if he can take it to the next level. If the Iggles put up #'s relative to these past few weeks, I pull the plug on Edwards and insert the Stache!

Firing the DC after four weeks...with the team 3-1.

Thats a good move and the sign of a calm, rational organization that thinks hard.

Your right. He should have been canned after the pathetic D of last year. He was given several new players and the results are still the same. Teams still run on us at will, pass on us at will, and convert 3rd downs on us at will. If it wasn't for our offense playing 2 rediculously great games, this team would be 1-3 BECAUSE OF THE DEFENSE.

3 out of 4 weeks we had relatively easy offenses to game plan for...this week being the easiest! Let's see...the strength of Cinci's offense is Benson, considering they have a rookie QB and the only WR that's any good is also a rookie. Said rookie QB is comming off a week where he was sacked 5 times and threw 2 picks...How hard is it George? Put 8 guys in the box to stuff Benson and force the Ginger to throw....mix in some blitz packages and put pressure on the rook...boom, game over! We saw, with little pressure, the kid throw some baad balls, 2 int's, and he didn't exactly protect the ball well...tuck!?

I think Chan will give him until the bye to get things sured up, but if teams continue to put up the god awefull #'s they have thus far, Edwards may not just get demoted, he may get ran out of here. I completely disagree, by the way...Personally, I give him this week to show major improvement in his ability to call a D, and the next week to see if he can take it to the next level. If the Iggles put up #'s relative to these past few weeks, I pull the plug on Edwards and insert the Stache!

Good call.

What's the point? Seriously. This is the same kind of reasoning why Dick Jauron was kept here for over three years.

Edwards was given brand new toys and somehow they're twice as bad as they were last year.

Gailey brought in Wanny and there's no logical reason for him not to demote (or fire if he refuses) Edwards and promote Wanny. Edwards will not suddenly "get it" this week or any week thereafter.

How do we know that Wannstache doesn't have his imprint on this defense? He's always been a coach that got by on the type of talent he had. Has he ever really been the type of coordinator to really blitz and get creative with his packages?

What's the point? Seriously. This is the same kind of reasoning why Dick Jauron was kept here for over three years.

Edwards was given brand new toys and somehow they're twice as bad as they were last year.

Gailey brought in Wanny and there's no logical reason for him not to demote (or fire if he refuses) Edwards and promote Wanny. Edwards will not suddenly "get it" this week or any week thereafter.

So you only give him 4 weeks to prove himself? Why do we always insist on blaming the coaches? Why is it Edwards' fault that McKelvin can't make a play when he is in perfect position? Is it Edwards fault that Merriman is struggling to get his legs back?

How do we know that Wannstache doesn't have his imprint on this defense? He's always been a coach that got by on the type of talent he had. Has he ever really been the type of coordinator to really blitz and get creative with his packages?

This is what I have been asking the whole time, do people think that Dave was hired to just sit in the press box and show up to practices until the decide the need a new d co-ordinator?

Everyone wants to place the blame on the current co-ordinator because they don't think the defence has improved or because its gotten worse, yet they want to promote the guy who was brought in to help improve this defence in the offseason????

Again I ask, What is Wandstadts current position with the Bills and what was he here to do

So you only give him 4 weeks to prove himself? Why do we always insist on blaming the coaches? Why is it Edwards' fault that McKelvin can't make a play when he is in perfect position? Is it Edwards fault that Merriman is struggling to get his legs back?

Edwards was the DC last year so thats 20 games. Sorry, but Wanny is on the staff and Edwards has shown no signs of being anything but unsuccessful. They need to rip the bandaid off already and shake things up. As with Jauron at HC, I can see when someone's in over their head.

Edited by 1billsfan