buddy on san diego radio

DaveinElma

Can anyone summarize what he said? Thanks.

Id like to, but he said a whole lot. A few out of many points...

He stuck up for Buffalo and the region when asked about the weather. Even as a southern guy, he said (paraphrasing) "Keep pushing that stereotype about the weather, it keeps out the outsiders, we like it here"

Biggest thing was probably about Merriman, and that Shawne is "coming along". Said that playing in the NFL is not like riding a bike where you can be off the field for 2 years and then just step back in. But they are happy with his progress and where he is. Said he's been playing the run well, and pressuring the passer, and the sacks will come. Also said that Merriman played 47 snaps in the NE game and is showing his durability. Playing hard for us, Leading for us, doing everything we ask him to.

The other thing he said that I loved was about the upcoming Bengals game. Asked if it was another good test, he said "If we cant handle a little prosperity, which is new to us, then it will show up this week".

I love the way he and Chan are TRULY straight shooters.

Edited by DrDareustein

Id like to, but he said a whole lot. A few out of many points...

He stuck up for Buffalo and the region when asked about the weather. Even as a southern guy, he said (paraphrasing) "Keep pushing that stereotype about the weather, it keeps out the outsiders, we like it here"

Biggest thing was probably about Merriman, and that Shawne is "coming along". Said that playing in the NFL is not like riding a bike where you can be off the field for 2 years and then just step back in. But they are happy with his progress and where he is. Said he's been playing the run well, and pressuring the passer, and the sacks will come. Also said that Merriman played 47 snaps in the NE game and is showing his durability. Playing hard for us, Leading for us, doing everything we ask him to.

The other thing he said that I loved was about the upcoming Bengals game. Asked if it was another good test, he said "If we cant handle a little prosperity, which is new to us, then it will show up this week".

I love the way he and Chan are TRULY straight shooters.

To me the most 'important' part was Nix feeling that Merriman needs to get past the thought that every nick is the next BIG injury. That might also indicate that he's (Merriman) holding a little back.

That was a very good listen, thanks for posting.

The most 'surprising' aspect to me were his comments about Merriman.

What was your take on this, Beer Sphere? Do you take the whole bicycle analogy at face value or do you think they're getting the feeling that Merriman just isn't ever going to be the same player?

To me the most 'important' part was Nix feeling that Merriman needs to get past the thought that every nick is the next BIG injury. That might also indicate that he's (Merriman) holding a little back.

Agreed, and its almost like he said it so Shawne would hear it. I like the way that Buddy and Chan are able to "call out" players without throwing them under the bus. It's a little passive aggressive, but they must stay political. Theyre able to fire warning shots and get their point across without damaging the player or relationship.

Yes that stood out to me as well. Merriman has a psychological issue about injuries to work thru. A few sacks may be just what the shrink ordered.