Trade Spiller?

I think Chan has some big plays particularly designed for CJ. No he is not an every down back. But he has some serious speed. He creates mismatches for the opposition all the time whether in the backfield or lined out wide. Using him smartly as Chan has been beneficial to the team. His YPC are up this year though he probably isn't carrying the ball as much as he would like due to Fred's form. Against Oakland because of his damaging play it actually set up the win when 2 Oakland defenders went straight to CJ which left Nelson wide open. I think as the year goes on he will be used more effectively in Chan's offense. We are seeing a more consistent CJ this year. As to trade him why? Who will replace him with his speed? The upside is too great and I trust Chan to get the best out of him.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah lets trade him now that he's becoming valuable to this offense.....great idea. That's dumber than releasing are starting tackle a week before the game beacuse they arent equiped to run the worlds worst imitation of the no huddle offense in the history of the game. :wallbash::doh:

There should be a wonderlic test taken to be able to post on TBD, where we all have to score at least a 2 to be able to post.

great post! creating controversy always gets good copy, and nothing wrong with that.

Spiller is no a back up to Fred. Completely different players. Cj is just starting to complement Fred. I expect he will just continue to improve ( heck he can nearly pass block now, no really he nearly can.) He is another great option for our team and i want him on the team regardless of touches. His Raiders performance was what i hoped for from him. Lets keep him for awhile yet and see what Coach thinks of him.

my bet is by end of season Spiller makes some gamewinning plays.

Lets be honest, Spiller has been inconsistent at best, he has had one good game (Oakland) in his brief career . . . I want him to be good, but he's very fortunate to have Fred Jackson in front of him. Freddy has covered for how bad (inconsistent) Spiller has been. If Jackson doesn't keep getting better and better with age, there would be a lot of angst toward Spiller on this board.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he is about one level ahead of Aaron Maybin so far in his career development (that is, when Maybin was at this same time in his short career). Maybin received our venom because he never produced at a position and at a time when the franchise needed him to; and because everyone else was bad, his lack of contribution was just accentuated by that reality--we needed him and got little to nothing.

My point: So far Jackson has masked and covered for Spiller--granted, he has given something, certainly more than Maybin ever did, but not much, not what he should have by now.

Trade him? NO!

But its getting time for him to contribute in a more meaningful and consistent way.

Edited by CSBill

Spiller brings a ton to the table......guess you missed the Raiders game where he had 60 or so yards on 5 or so touches.....Spiller is a beast, worst idea ever...

In a sea of bad games where spiller looked expendable, he looked to have unlimited potential in that Raider game. Had a markedly reduced role against the Pats. I trust that Chan had a good reason for that.

Freddie sure looked like he had breakaway speed to me the last to weeks

Thanfully, he didn't! ;-)

I still don't get all the spiller love on the board. He is what he is, a part time one trick pony with speed but rarely uses it effectively. I still don't think he can read or set up blocks.

I love how people say yes or no to a trade without knowing what they would get in return...

"Hey man, do you want to sell your car?"

"Sell MY car? No way I LOVE that car, plus I just paid $25,000 for it"

"I'll give you $40,000, I really need a car and I can't wait til next year to get one...."

Do you want to sell your car now?

If your team appears to be able to make a playoff run and you have players with possible high trade value that aren't helping you win games (heck this guy can barely get on the field), you're foolish not to put feelers out to determine their trade value with teams and pull the trigger if you think it can make you better

Nix's first draft class is looking questionable right now, I think this might be an out for him if he traded for a player. If he traded for a pick then he'd probably look foolish because he picked a runner we don't need (yet anyway) so high in the draft and would have to settle for a 2nd round pick or less right now. Thats my guess, but I have no idea and neither does anyone else unless he's shopped right?

He appears to be an average NFL back with great speed but below average vision, instincts and pass protection. His value as a returner (he broke one for us last year) has diminished due to the NFL's new rules of basically eliminating the kickoff return this year.

Edited by Webster Guy

Just a thought I'd like to throw out there. With the success Freddie is having plus the inevitability of a new contract, added to the fact that Spiller rarely even plays, and, when he does, does not produce as a RB or WR. I think the Bills should try to deal Spiller to a team in dire need of RB help (Denver, Chicago, Cincinnati come to mind) and see what, if anything, we can get in return draft pick wise. Perhaps if Spiller got a chance as a starter elsewhere, maybe he could turn into something. Just a thought.

No chance.

For one, you need multiple backs in this league to be successful.

What happens if FJ gets injured?

The guy was basically drafted to be a situational RB/WR, which is what he has been used as. And he has been in the league for a whole 19 games.

The Bills have not extended FJ yet, trading Spiller would give him huge leverage.

dumbest post I have read in a long time. We are winning yet some still sneak in on the retard rollercoaster

+1 it's mind boggling how self defeatist some of these threads are. CJ is without a doubt an amazingly gifted athlete. He is very young, just like McFadden was, and there's no doubt this guy will be a great one. If it took Freddie, whom we all love till he was 26 years old to develop, why then are so many people around here so critical of this kid when he is not even taking starting snaps? Just stupid.

If Freddie wasn't on the team CJ would be starting, and I'm sure he'd get into a rhythm in games, every single running back to ever play the game will tell you that, but yeah, lets label the kid a bad pick, so the self loathing Bills fans can have more failures to chat about. <_<

Trading Spiller now would be a bad idea.

We'd be lucky to get a 10th round draft pick for him.

I'd suggest wait until the playoff situation has been solidified. Then put in Spiller for a few games, and run some plays that are designed to make him look like a star.

During the offseason, we might be able to get something in return more than just a kicking tee.

Maybe two kicking tees.

My bud brought a situation up to me today and i took it to heart. Then i really started to consider our position with RB. His question was " it is stupid to pay a first rounder ( spiller ) and not use him as a # 1." So should we pay Freddy and wait for Spiller to develop or should we trade Fred for a decent pick right now. I flipped and said if we trade Fred i am done with this team already. And i still feel this way. But after considering all afternoon and even now, should we pay Fred? yes imo. Then what to do with spiller. We have White as backup. I would like to keep all three till the end of spillers contract.

Edited by 3rdand12