Trade Spiller?

Just a thought I'd like to throw out there. With the success Freddie is having plus the inevitability of a new contract, added to the fact that Spiller rarely even plays, and, when he does, does not produce as a RB or WR. I think the Bills should try to deal Spiller to a team in dire need of RB help (Denver, Chicago, Cincinnati come to mind) and see what, if anything, we can get in return draft pick wise. Perhaps if Spiller got a chance as a starter elsewhere, maybe he could turn into something. Just a thought.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. We wouldn't get much for him, and I think he provides us with a good option against certain sorts of defenses. Especially since we lost Parrish.

4 first downs on 10 carries, 8.2 ypc... yeah, I think I'll keep him.

Edited by Dorkington

Just a thought I'd like to throw out there. With the success Freddie is having plus the inevitability of a new contract, added to the fact that Spiller rarely even plays, and, when he does, does not produce as a RB or WR. I think the Bills should try to deal Spiller to a team in dire need of RB help (Denver, Chicago, Cincinnati come to mind) and see what, if anything, we can get in return draft pick wise. Perhaps if Spiller got a chance as a starter elsewhere, maybe he could turn into something. Just a thought.

I really don't think he's an every down back yet, and nor will he be. I think he is the perfect compliment to Freddy right now. He is toting a pretty decent yard per carry with the limited touches he sees.

I think we need to keep him around for a while.

Edited by Fitz's Beard

Yea, this is kind of crazy. I've been admittedly wrong about how good Fred is in the past. This year I've finally jumped on the bandwagon. He deserves the majority of the carries.

That being said, I still want to see what Spiller can do as a featured back. He's averaging close to 8 yards a carry in limited action (so for everyone calling him a bust.....). I think he is great insurance if Fred ever goes down, but he also provides (along with Brad Smith) a lot of flexibility for Gailey in terms of play calling. They like to operate out of a spread offense, so you don't see this type of thing often, but I'd love to see a few wild card formations with a backfield of Brad Smith, Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller. I'd also like to see a few backfields with Jackson, Fitz, and Spiller, with Spiller being motioned out wide and getting a matchup against a linebacker.

Point being, he is a big part of the offense even if the stats don't back it up right now.

Nope. We wouldn't get much for him, and I think he provides us with a good option against certain sorts of defenses. Especially since we lost Parrish.

This ....

Spiller clearly has talent and while his contribution may not match where he was selected in the draft he is too productive and has too much upside to be traded.

First off, one of the dumbest ideas ever, Secondly, do you know where the Records Room is?

Yea, this is kind of crazy. I've been admittedly wrong about how good Fred is in the past. This year I've finally jumped on the bandwagon. He deserves the majority of the carries.

That being said, I still want to see what Spiller can do as a featured back. He's averaging close to 8 yards a carry in limited action (so for everyone calling him a bust.....). I think he is great insurance if Fred ever goes down, but he also provides (along with Brad Smith) a lot of flexibility for Gailey in terms of play calling. They like to operate out of a spread offense, so you don't see this type of thing often, but I'd love to see a few wild card formations with a backfield of Brad Smith, Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller. I'd also like to see a few backfields with Jackson, Fitz, and Spiller, with Spiller being motioned out wide and getting a matchup against a linebacker.

Point being, he is a big part of the offense even if the stats don't back it up right now.

I agree with everything in this post. Nice points. Particularly the one about Fred going down, God forbid..

No! not even a nead to read this post.

Yep. He'll be worked into the game plan more as the year goes on.

It takes RB's years to get good, sometimes several. The guy has excellent speed & can be utilized several ways to acccentuate his talent, so this idea is far out there. Maybe we should trade Dareus for some future value as well, LOL.

P.S. I also just purchased 4 new Spiller Jersey's for the family, so this idea makes me angry & frustrated. :wallbash:

It takes RB's years to get good, sometimes several. The guy has excellent speed & can be utilized several ways to acccentuate his talent, so this idea is far out there. Maybe we should trade Dareus for some future value as well, LOL.

P.S. I also just purchased 4 new Spiller Jersey's for the family, so this idea makes me angry & frustrated. :wallbash:

Hmmm I have always thought running back was the most "natural" of all the positions and easiest to learn

Hmmm I have always thought running back was the most "natural" of all the positions and easiest to learn

Trading Spiller makes no sense because he fills a role on this team and would get you next to nothing in return right now.........

I think Spiller is in the perfect spot....if we want to keep Freddie productive like this for the next few years he is gonna need to be spelled......Spiller is getting better and better......but not a threat to take the starting spot from Freddie just yet.

Spiller lacks the lateral agility to make guys miss. I keep hearing we need to get him the ball in space, but when he gets out on the edge with one guy to beat he almost always gets stopped.

He's got amazing speed and acceleration, but he's nothing like Roscoe agility wise, and he can't juke or side step anything like Fred.

Not saying we should trade him (unless a sweet deal was out there) because elite straight line speed is still valuable if used properly, but this limitation will always hold him back.

Edited by Rob's House

Spiller lacks the lateral agility to make guys miss. I keep hearing we need to get him the ball in space, but when he gets out on the edge with one guy to beat he almost always gets stopped.

He's got amazing speed and acceleration, but he's nothing like Roscoe agility wise, and he can't juke or side step anything like Fred.

Not saying we should trade him (unless a sweet deal was out there) because elite straight line speed is still valuable if used properly, but this limitation will always hold him back.

I respectfully disagree

No lateral agility? Wow, that's new.... I do believe I've seen plenty from him, but he does seem to be slow at catching up to the speed of the NFL, As far as Roscoes "juking", few can match him He's a little jitter bug, but he too get tackled, far more often than not. Most of the opposing players are pretty good themselves after all.

what happens if and when Freddy gets injured??