Great Easterbrook column today

nodnarb

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7023615/tmq-says-history-being-made-detroit-lions-buffalo-bills-rise

Excerpt:

An ideal outcome for the 2011 NFL season would be for two underdog teams from fading old-industry cities to meet in the Super Bowl. From now on, a Buffalo-Detroit Super Bowl is what this column is rooting for. As TMQ noted last week, if Buffalo and Detroit met in the Super Bowl, "One of them would have to win -- I think."

Sunday, Detroit overcame a 20-0 halftime deficit on the road. In consecutive weeks, Buffalo has overcome deficits of 21-3 and 21-0. Projecting this out, if Buffalo and Detroit met in the Super Bowl, the halftime score will be 0-0 and the final score will be 93-92 in overtime.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7023615/tmq-says-history-being-made-detroit-lions-buffalo-bills-rise

Excerpt:

An ideal outcome for the 2011 NFL season would be for two underdog teams from fading old-industry cities to meet in the Super Bowl. From now on, a Buffalo-Detroit Super Bowl is what this column is rooting for. As TMQ noted last week, if Buffalo and Detroit met in the Super Bowl, "One of them would have to win -- I think."

Sunday, Detroit overcame a 20-0 halftime deficit on the road. In consecutive weeks, Buffalo has overcome deficits of 21-3 and 21-0. Projecting this out, if Buffalo and Detroit met in the Super Bowl, the halftime score will be 0-0 and the final score will be 93-92 in overtime.

I saw that earlier today. Good stuff. I actually picked Detroit as the NFC team that I would root for this year during the preseason. If we don't make it to the playoffs, I'm rooting for them.

ALSO, TMQ needs to check his math. Mathematically speaking, an overtime game can't possibly end with only a 1 PT differential! I had Smarties for breakfast today!

The bit he wrote about Team's Wine was pretty funny too!

how would they score this one point in OT?

They should just settle all Super Bowl ties by comparing their records against the worst teams in the league. Afterall, those are the most important games! It would be AMAZIN'...

Indeed.

Talk to me again when the Lions slay their divisional nemesis (Green Bay).

That's horseshit. Let me know what they do against Seattle. THAT is the important matchup.

My favorite excerpt:

The San Diego Chargers are plowing new ground by marketing a team wine. The beverage offers "vibrant fruit flavors and toasty oak." Considering the Bolts' performance in 2010 -- first in offense, first in defense, missed the playoffs -- TMQ suspects the wine is made to the highest possible standards from the very finest grapes, and tastes bad.

:lol:

ALSO, TMQ needs to check his math. Mathematically speaking, an overtime game can't possibly end with only a 1 PT differential! I had Smarties for breakfast today!

The bit he wrote about Team's Wine was pretty funny too!

Remember there are new OT rules in place for playoff games, so that final score is possible.

"As TMQ noted last week, if Buffalo and Detroit met in the Super Bowl, "One of them would have to win -- I think.

Sunday, Detroit overcame a 20-0 halftime deficit on the road. In consecutive weeks, Buffalo has overcome deficits of 21-3 and 21-0. Projecting this out, if Buffalo and Detroit met in the Super Bowl, the halftime score will be 0-0 and the final score will be 93-92 in overtime."

Classic...

They should just settle all Super Bowl ties by comparing their records against the worst teams in the league. Afterall, those are the most important games! It would be AMAZIN'...

That's horseshit. Let me know what they do against Seattle. THAT is the important matchup.

:lol:

I know where you're going with this. Good stuff!

Anyway, Playoff OT will allow both teams a chance at offense. So Detroit wins the coin toss and scores a TD, but the extra point sails Wide Right. Then we travel the length of the field, score a TD and Lindell wins it with the extra point.

That score definitely isn't possible in OT, even with the new rules.

If the first team with the ball scores a touchdown, then it's game over. Both teams only get a chance to posess if the first team with the ball scores a field goal. If that happens, the second team gets a chance. If the second team scores a touchdown, then it's game over. If the second team scores a field goal, then regular sudden death rules ensue.

That score definitely isn't possible in OT, even with the new rules.

If the first team with the ball scores a touchdown, then it's game over. Both teams only get a chance to posess if the first team with the ball scores a field goal. If that happens, the second team gets a chance. If the second team scores a touchdown, then it's game over. If the second team scores a field goal, then regular sudden death rules ensue.

What if the team that kicks that first field goal then intercepts the ball, but somehow runs it back into their own endzone for a safety?

Team makes a FG, officials forget what they're doing and mistake it for an extra point, then refuse to reverse it and grant three points because of an "inadvertent whistle" (which seems to work for every other inexplicably stupid call they make).

Hell, it makes no less sense than the mother!@#$ing "Tuck Rule".