What's the Difference between 2008 and 2011?

Sniper

Apology accepted :)

yea, i was purely talking about how concerned I am that FINALLY the Bills have a QB that is playing at an "elite" level like Jim Kelly used to, and they don't have anywhere near the quality of players on that O line like ole JK had.

Fitz didn't even play a full season in the 09 (10 games,8 starts) and 2010 (13 games -13 starts) seasons and yet suffered injuries both years that kept him outta one game each year. What happened to Edwards is when he suffered a concussion it was Jauron's stupidity and desire to keep winning that kept playing him when he should have been benched. When they did finally bench him TE he was a shell of his old self, battered and shell shocked. He suffered at least 4 concussions that were reported, who really knows how many he did suffer. Once you suffer a concussion it becomes easier to suffer another and the problems that incur with a traumatic brain injury just keep compounding the more you get them.

As for the bet, the very last thing I would want to do is bet that Fitz will get an injury and or become like Edwards.:cry:

Considering that line has some "maybes" and "who knows" players playing on it right now, I highly doubt they get 10 wins. But hey, we can only hope they do! The schedule does get tougher after Cincy

You're living in the preseason. The line's been great so far. They're playing even better than I expected, and I was one of the few people who expected them to be significantly improved over last year.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011 - 2008 = 3 years

Any more brain busters?

Agree. There is one more small contributing factor. These people are on the 2011 team and were not on the 2008 team:

Nick Barnett

Danny Batten

Colin Brown

Jairus Byrd

Alex Carrington

Scott Chandler

Marcell Dareus

Andra Davis

Dwan Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Drayton Florence

Chris Hairston

Kellen Heard

Donald Jones

Andy Levitre

Ruvell Martin

Corey McIntyre

Shawne Merriman

Arthur Moats

Kirk Morrison

David Nelson

Erik Pears

Chad Rinehart

Justin Rogers

Naaman Roosevelt

Garrison Sanborn

Da'Norris Searcy

Kelvin Sheppard

Brad Smith

Lee Smith

C.J. Spiller

Tyler Thigpen

Torell Troup

Kraig Urbik

Terrence Wheatley

Chris White

Johnny White

Aaron Williams

Eric Wood

Sam Young

This response is actually what I have been asking for! A reasoned viewpoint that actually takes a stance. Not "I'll tell you after they make the playoffs"...

"BBB" has accepted the bet! I admire his spirit!

I think Fitz might miss a game or something, but of course anything can happen. I think he gets the ball out quick enough that teams will start to back off the rush and place more emphasis on coverage, which will challenge Fitz's accuracy and patience. Of course, I expect him to still chew them up though!

Like I said, the Bills really haven't played a top defense yet, one with a good pass rush, but they just might very soon. The Bungals are currently ranked at #3 overall, but I suspect after this week that will change drastically :lol: The thing is, this could easily be a trap game for Buffalo if they let down against a rookie QB and don't get charged up to play this 1-2 team.

The NY Giants and Eagles both have players with 4 sacks so far, and the Eagle have 3 great DB's. Their problem is an ex- O line coach that is now the DC, and is he screwing things up with Nnamdi by playing cover 2 instead of the man coverage he is used to playing. If the team figures that out by next week it could mean a tougher time for the Bills offense. Plus upcoming games against teams with a good rush, Dallas-Redskins and plus the Titans and Chargers both have top ten defenses. Buffalo will face tougher defenses for certain.

NFN, but you don't wave a magic wand and players suddenly become great, this line has flaws and they will be exposed once they play a top opponent. Hey,I could be wrong and they could have developed a great continuity and overachieve. But It still remains to be seen how they perform against a top defense

Like I said, the Bills really haven't played a top defense yet, one with a good pass rush, but they just might very soon. The Bungals are currently ranked at #3 overall, but I suspect after this week that will change drastically :lol: The thing is, this could easily be a trap game for Buffalo if they let down against a rookie QB and don't get charged up to play this 1-2 team.

The NY Giants and Eagles both have players with 4 sacks so far, and the Eagle have 3 great DB's. Their problem is an ex- O line coach that is now the DC, and is he screwing things up with Nnamdi by playing cover 2 instead of the man coverage he is used to playing. If the team figures that out by next week it could mean a tougher time for the Bills offense. Plus upcoming games against teams with a good rush, Dallas-Redskins and plus the Titans and Chargers both have top ten defenses. Buffalo will face tougher defenses for certain.

NFN, but you don't wave a magic wand and players suddenly become great, this line has flaws and they will be exposed once they play a top opponent. Hey,I could be wrong and they could have developed a great continuity and overachieve. But It still remains to be seen how they perform against a top defense

I agree that the Bengals game could sneak up on the Bills, but I think there are guys that haven't contributed much yet that are still anxious to make a contribution. I think the bar has been raised, and some guys still need to justify their position. This should keep them hungry.

I think the Bills defense is better than they have shown. The Raiders are so run heavy that it demanded the defense play a particular style, and the same against the Pats except towards the pass instead. I think a pass rush will make an appearance this week.

I think Giants are overrated. They may have a bit better defense than the Bills have faced, but The Giants suck. Philly is erratic and it's a home game. I think the Bills will win 2 of the next 3.

The big difference in the line play (aside from more experience, Wood at center is big) is that the skill players are good enough (and Fitz knows the offense well enough) to be AGGRESSIVE. He may not be Peyton Manning, but Fitz is reading the defense at the line of scrimmage almost perfectly! They will go downfield without hesitation and it puts lots of pressure on the defense.

I expect there may be a few teams that the Bills won't matchup well against this year, but MOST of the defenses won't shut them down. I expect the scoring to level off, but the most impressive thing about the offense is that they don't blow it when the pressure is on.

I have thought since before the season that the Bills schedule is LIGHT. I predicted that they would split games against the Jets and Pats. The NFC East is not what it once was.

2008- After 3 games The Bills had scored 78 points. During this season The Bills only scored 30 pts 4 times

2011- The Bills have scored 113 pts 113 The Bills have scored 30+ points in the first 3 games.

Someone brought up that the Bills in 08 had a combined season total passing td of 13. Correction it's 14. Moorman had 1 on a fake fg I believe against Seattle week 1.

Anyone wanna even begin to wager that Fitz won't smoke this #? lol

2008- Through the first 3 games The Bills had 297 yards rushing finished the year with 1842

2011- Through 3 games The Bills have 459 yards rushing which puts us on pace for 2448 yards for the season

Anyone even wanna argue the merits that Fred Jackson is better than Marshawn Lynch? Say what you want about questioning the oline I get fitz's quick decision making, but they've been money run blocking for Fred so far through the first 3 games, and Fred is averaging a very ridiculous 6.4ypc tied with Darren McFadden.

2008- Through the first 3 games the Bills had Edwards had 704 yards passing 3 tds 1 int. It took him till week 12 to equal where Fitz is at now td wise. Finished the year with 3040 yards passing.

2011- Through the first 3 games 841 yards 9 tds 3 ints.

I remember ppl being high on Edwards during this time, although there was still a vocal group who questioned him. I myself did Believe in Edwards, which I find disappointing. A simple face value # look could tell you that he just was nothing more than a care taker. Am I saying Fitz is the next Kurt Warner? No of course not, but too "not be sure" he's not a country mile better than Trent Edwards is laughable.

Offensively speaking this 2011 team is light years beyond the 2008 team at every single position including the most important Quarterback. The Coach is better, the rb is better, wr's are better, we actually have a redzone offense. Overall efficiency is better. There's nothing that says "this team is destined to falter like in 08" on that side of the Ball.

As far as the defense goes I'm not gonna break down the #'s right now but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being. I agree with the people who "Want to wait it out" and The Bills may level off, but there's a lot more positive things working in their favor this year than 3 seasons ago.

Edited by Stealth

2008- After 3 games The Bills had scored 78 points. During this season The Bills only scored 30 pts 4 times

2011- The Bills have scored 113 pts 113 The Bills have scored 30+ points in the first 3 games.

Someone brought up that the Bills in 08 had a combined season total passing td of 13. Correction it's 14. Moorman had 1 on a fake fg I believe against Seattle week 1.

2008- Through the first 3 games The Bills had 297 yards rushing finished the year with 1842

2011- Through 3 games The Bills have 459 yards rushing which puts us on pace for 2448 yards for the season

Anyone even wanna argue the merits that Fred Jackson is better than Marshawn Lynch? Say what you want about questioning the oline I get fitz's quick decision making, but they've been money run blocking for Fred so far through the first 3 games, and Fred is averaging a very ridiculous 6.4ypc tied with Darren McFadden.

2008- Through the first 3 games the Bills had Edwards had 704 yards passing 3 tds 1 int. It took him till week 12 to equal where Fitz is at now td wise. Finished the year with 3040 yards passing.

I remember ppl being high on Edwards during this time, although there was still a vocal group who questioned him. I myself did Believe in Edwards, which I find disappointing. A simple face value # look could tell you that he just was nothing more than a care taker. Am I saying Fitz is the next Kurt Warner? No of course not, but too "not be sure" he's not a country mile better than Trent Edwards is laughable.

Offensively speaking this 2011 team is light years beyond the 2008 team at every single position including the most important Quarterback. The Coach is better, the rb is better, wr's are better, we actually have a redzone offense. Overall efficiency is better. There's nothing that says "this team is destined to falter like in 08" on that side of the Ball.

As far as the defense goes I'm not gonna break down the #'s right now but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being. I agree with the people who "Want to wait it out" and The Bills may level off, but there's a lot more positive things working in their favor this year than 3 seasons ago.

Bam

You forgot to mention the Bills found a freaking huge red zone target in Scott Chandler for Fitz, which has helped immensely in my view. Chan Gailey is not noted for utilizing the TE very much in his offense, and last season the Bills were LAST in the NFL for TE receptions. But now Fitz has that option that Edwards-Losman-Bledsoe and all the rest back to JK never had.

All this coming from a guy who had ZERO career TD's and ONE catch in four years to 4 TD's in 3 games for Buffalo. Its not that he is going to wow anyone with receptions or yards, but the fact that Fitz now has a huge target in the endzone and outside the redzone helps the team in so many ways.

I just can't state enough how much this one player at this one position has helped this offense.... ABOUT FREAKING TIME :D

Shifting gearz, ts not entirely Edwards fault he was drafted by morons, put into a crap system and had a freaking dufas calling plays and setting up the game plans. Its not to say that Fitz hasn't played for a bunch of offensive fools like Edwards did, but being the starter Edwards took so many more hits to the head which ruined his career in the NFL. Its kinda why I'm very concerned about Fitz and his future in Buffalo! That O line is still very questionable in my mind and we have yet to see them play a team like the Vikings had last year, like the Jets played them last year, in both games

Time is the biggest test of any QB, and can Fitz maintain over the long haul of a 16 game season? He has missed games the last two years because of injuries and he wasn't even the starter either year. Fitz is certainly lighting it up, what bothers me tho is what the Bills will do if Fitz or Freddy get knocked out of a game, or games! Thigpin-Spiller..c'mon

Anyway, perhaps my concerns about the O line and the waiver wire players Nix picked up are overblown, looking at the way Scott Chandler is performing and playing. Just maybe these coaches can make a silk purse outta a cows ear....time will tell.

• 1 month later...

WCMF's very own Unknown Bills Blogger is at it again, educating fans on the comparisons of the 2008 team that collapsed after a 5-1 start, plus offering solutions on college football's playoff system (or lack thereof), insight to why football is cautious about rushing to HGH testing and telling everyone who he pretended to be growing-up.

It's all here: The Unknown Bills Blogger. Click the link below:

http://www.wcmf.com/pages/11257462.php

For those who may not know, The Unknown Bills Blogger plays for the Bills. His identity will be revealed on The Break Room morning show, on Rochester's Classic Rock, 96.5 WCMF, at season's end.

Questions or guesses to who this player is, feel free to email dannyb@wcmf.com

WCMF's very own Unknown Bills Blogger is at it again, educating fans on the comparisons of the 2008 team that collapsed after a 5-1 start, plus offering solutions on college football's playoff system (or lack thereof), insight to why football is cautious about rushing to HGH testing and telling everyone who he pretended to be growing-up.

It's all here: The Unknown Bills Blogger. Click the link below:

http://www.wcmf.com/pages/11257462.php

For those who may not know, The Unknown Bills Blogger plays for the Bills. His identity will be revealed on The Break Room morning show, on Rochester's Classic Rock, 96.5 WCMF, at season's end.

Questions or guesses to who this player is, feel free to email dannyb@wcmf.com

Given the "never say die" attitude, the logical reasoning, the emotional plea to the fans to stick with the team........I'm gonna take a stab at it and guess Lee-Otis McPenalty

Given the "never say die" attitude, the logical reasoning, the emotional plea to the fans to stick with the team........I'm gonna take a stab at it and guess Lee-Otis McPenalty

Leodis doesn't speak english. I'm gonna guess it's El Senatore George Wilson

Edited by FluffHead

Who ever he is he's right this isn't 2008 & this team is better than that team was from the coaching staff to the water boy & if your a true Bills fan you'll do as he says & stay behind our team all the way !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Who ever he is he's right this isn't 2008 & this team is better than that team was from the coaching staff to the water boy & if your a true Bills fan you'll do as he says & stay behind our team all the way !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We're on the same page brother - just havin' a little fun.