Bills Got the Calls Today

Boludo

For as long as I can remember, it's always felt like the Bills have taken the worst of the officiating, especially against the Patriots.

Today, they definitely got several favorable calls. I'm not saying they wouldn't have won without the calls, and I'm not saying that they don't deserve to get the good end of things from time to time.

I'm just acknowledging it, and feeling good about. I have bitched about biased officials on plenty of occasions, so I figure I should go ahead and admit it when things are good for once.

The times they are a changing. Go Bills!

Refs missed a few calls on the Pats* in the first half (Penalty on Byrd and a hook on Merriman that wasn't called) and they gave the Bills a few good calls as well. It was pretty balanced if you ask me. I also thought that the first half favored the Pats* while the second half favored the Bills.

I was at the game. The officiating was horrible on both sides. The refs missed a hold on K. Williams, a hold on Merriman, and that bull **** penalty against Byrd hitting Welker "helmet-to-helmet" when he was just making a form tackle (and not launching himself a la Dunta Robinson) was just that: bull ****. On the other side of the ball, we got an entire touchdown from officiating to tie the game late: first we got a bull **** 15-yard roughing the passer penalty; then Fitz threw an ill-advised pass into the end-zone that was easily intercepted, but called back due to a bull **** pass interference call. Horrible officiating today. The refs should be drawn and quartered.

For as long as I can remember, it's always felt like the Bills have taken the worst of the officiating, especially against the Patriots.

Today, they definitely got several favorable calls. I'm not saying they wouldn't have won without the calls, and I'm not saying that they don't deserve to get the good end of things from time to time.

I'm just acknowledging it, and feeling good about. I have bitched about biased officials on plenty of occasions, so I figure I should go ahead and admit it when things are good for once.

The times they are the same. Sometimes the refs play a significant role in making a bad call but really most would have to admit that though the blown ref call was significant that actually it simply played a role in the outcome but did not drive the outcome (es. the Bills OT loss ro the Boys a few years back where some bad refereeing where keys to the outcome but even without these bad choices the Bills blew plenty of chances to win with some bad playcalling under Jauron.

In addition there are a few cases where bad ref calls actually determined the outcome (ex. a Rurkey Day gane where the refs blew the coin toss and ended up giving the bsll first to the wrong team which won the game in sudden death/ Fortunately these cases are rare. Fortunately though this never should happen it is a real rarity thar bad refing makes THE difference.

Tjis game today was likw most NFL games, a few bad calls were c;ear;y made but so it is in most NFL gamrd but these mistakes did not significantly alter the course of the game.

This is how it is for the most part and this is a non-issue for this and mostmes for the recent past and the futur,

ttills Pats gamrd

<br />I was at the game. The officiating was horrible on both sides. The refs missed a hold on K. Williams, a hold on Merriman, and that bull **** penalty against Byrd hitting Welker "helmet-to-helmet" when he was just making a form tackle (and not launching himself a la Dunta Robinson) was just that: bull ****. On the other side of the ball, we got an entire touchdown from officiating to tie the game late: first we got a bull **** 15-yard roughing the passer penalty; then Fitz threw an ill-advised pass into the end-zone that was easily intercepted, but called back due to a bull **** pass interference call. Horrible officiating today. The refs should be drawn and quartered.<br />
. Being at the game doesn't mean you see the game all that great then. The PI in the end zone was a raping. If your contention is that the WR that was interfered with couldn't have made a play on the ball, you MAY be correct, hard to tell....but there was LOTS of contact

Well we were getting hosed in the beginning of the game but they came around latter to see things our way.

. Being at the game doesn't mean you see the game all that great then. The PI in the end zone was a raping. If your contention is that the WR that was interfered with couldn't have made a play on the ball, you MAY be correct, hard to tell....but there was LOTS of contact

Kelso on the radio (who I love as a colour commentator) said the DB had a fistful of the receiver's jersey making it certain the receiver could not make a play for the ball (and if the ref sees that then you can feel pretty certain a PI call is coming). So that, at least, was a good call.

And a INT TD off of a guys helmet. Give me a break. I have never seen a team get than many good breaks and bounces in one game. But I'll take it. They'll need it later in the season when guys start getting hurt and losses start coming.

And a INT TD off of a guys helmet. Give me a break. I have never seen a team get than many good breaks and bounces in one game. But I'll take it. They'll need it later in the season when guys start getting hurt and losses start coming.

??? you did see Dareus jump up to block the ball... it wasnt that lucky its just a good play by a defensive lineman.

Not sure what game you were watching, but the chop block call on Wood was horrible. Also the personal foul on Byrd was ridiculous. I didn't really see any calls that were in our favor.

You are partly correct, but I felt in the first half the calls were going against us. The call against Byrd when he hit Welker was one of the biggest BS calls I have ever seen. Welker is only 4 feet tall, and when he caught the ball he took a step and lowered his head at the last second. Byrd had nowhere else to hit him but his helmet.

Not sure what game you were watching, but the chop block call on Wood was horrible. Also the personal foul on Byrd was ridiculous. I didn't really see any calls that were in our favor.

The call on Wood was the very definition of a chop block.

If you really saw that game like the bolded statement above, then you are truly a homer-god :)

But today is a great day to be a Bills fan! The football gods finally smiled on the Bills so enjoy!

Couldn't disagree more. We got some breaks but so did the Pats. Byrd getting called for an unnecessary roughness was one of the most ridiculous calls of the game. Welker took about two steps before getting hit. And on the Pat's third TD drive Brady should have been called for an intentional grounding at one point for throwing the ball nowhere near anyone and they missed a blatant holding call on a third down conversion for the Pats on that same drive.

Edited by Talley56

The chopblock call on Wood was legit; the block itself wasnt so much an issue as it was that Rhineart was engaged with that player and then chopblocks arent allowed. The foul on Byrd was a blown call for sure, Byrd could not have played that any different. Also refs had some dodgy placements of the ball all in favor of the Pats*.

The PI call was face guarding and totally legit, stupid play by the Pats*.

Good calls, bad calls both ways. I agree, the chop block was BS . The defensive lineman wasn't engaged. (and I still don't understand the call against Byrd)

I thought we were getting screwed on all but the obvious stuff.

YES !! EXACTLY !!!....why do the officials push the patriots away rather than flag then, yet they never push any bills players away they just flag them. The officials stunk again and it was still slanted towards New England. Patriots held all day, ALL DAY.

Ole Johnnie Grier's crew that we had last week -what a beautiful holding call on the bears punt return. ESPN - with the over head shot ...you find something the resembles holding because we couldn't. Officials are brutal it is ruining the league.

As a high school baseball official I understand a lot of what takes place and blaming an official etc....but you can not ignore watching the NFL these officials are determining outcomes. No I didn't bet on any games

The chopblock call on Wood was legit; the block itself wasnt so much an issue as it was that Rhineart was engaged with that player and then chopblocks arent allowed. The foul on Byrd was a blown call for sure, Byrd could not have played that any different. Also refs had some dodgy placements of the ball all in favor of the Pats*.

The PI call was face guarding and totally legit, stupid play by the Pats*.

Agreed that the chopblock was a legit call (the rule is that you cannot block low on a guy engaged with another blocker and Wood clearly went low on his block and the defender was already engaged with Rinehart- complaining about this one comes off as mere whining)

Also the PI call was legit as the rule states that both players have a right to go after the ball but in this case the Bills was clearly looking back at the QB and trying to get back to a short pass but was impeded by the defender. IF the defender also was playing the ball and his positioning to get it was what impeded the Bill then no harm. However, the defender only even made a quick look back and showed no appearance of playing the ball (like turning around and trying to catch it which he seemingly woulda/coulda/shoulda done if he in fact saw it in his brief look backward. It is apparent however he did not see it as he made no attempt to play the ball. Instead the defender seemed most pre-occupied with holding his hands out to claim he did not hit the receiver (though ironically by putting two hands up this is defined as faceguarding. On the face of it I think the Pats guy has no good arguments that he did not interfere with the receivers right to try to catch the ball.

On the other hand, I do understand the call against Byrd. Yes, I think it was a legal tackle in slo-mp and yes a legit question as to what he could have done differently. However, by agremment of the NFL at the urging of the NFLPA to cutdown on potential head injuries ir strikes me as the best of bad reasons to make a bad call.

I think in retrospect with the benefit of replay and slomo I question the call, but in terms of bang bang plays in the heat of the moment I understand that if the refs have any question the benefit of the doubt in this case goeas to penalizing the player.

Ubfirtunate but legit but as long as the refs are consitent in protecting players or calling PI when probably there against both teams (which the even more crucial endzonw PI call wiping out a Pats INT was made I have no problems with the refs calls at all in this game.