Interesting [FAKE] Article on Bills' Draft Philosophy

Bills Build Team in an Unusual Way

The young Buffalo Bills are making a name for themselves. The recent success of their late round draft picks and undrafted free agents has put the team increasingly in the spotlight.

Lost in the glare, however, is the Bills almost uncanny ability to find the occasional nugget of gold in the typical camp fodder of first and second round draft picks.

General Manager Buddy Nix says that this is a direct result of a scouting philosophy that permeates the organization. Listen, Id love to have lots of seventh round picks every year, obviously. But thats not the way it works. You only get one. So you gotta look at everyone. Simple as that. You gotta look, no matter how high they are likely to be drafted. We try to put as much time into evaluating the first round as we do the seventh round.

While the Bills may rely for the bulk of their roster on blue chip late-round picks like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson and glamorous undrafted players like Fred Jackson, David Nelson, and Donald Jones, the front office isnt too proud to take a long look at the occasional first or second round pick who shows promise.

Doug Whaley, the Bills recently appointed Director of Player Personnel, points to 2011 first round pick Marcell Dareus as evidence of the success of this philosophy:

Its refreshing frankly to be in an organization like this, where every player gets a chance. Now we are not naïve. We realize that your typical first or second rounder isnt going to be good enough to play in this league. We know that a guy like a Maybin or a McCargo is pretty much the norm for a high rounder they are good in college, but, unlike your average late rounder or UDFA, they just dont have that extra gear you need in the NFL. Sometimes, though, with a high pick you can find a guy like a Whitner or a Poz - a guy who basically stinks and wont win you any Super Bowls, but can at least get on the field and contribute to keeping your margin of defeat a little lower. And if you keep your eyes open, every ten years or so, you might stumble onto a first rounder like Dareus who can actually play. Its one in a thousand, but you never know.

Scouting and drafting is just one part of the equation, however. The coaching staff also has to be prepared to give top picks a legitimate chance to get on the field in training camp and preseason. Head Coach Chan Gailey says simply, The best guy plays. Period. Thats how we do it.

Gailey tells all of his staff early in camp to make sure they do not spend too much time with their late rounders and UDFAs at the expense of higher drafted players. And he agrees that the Bills may have found a first round keeper this year. You have to keep an open mind. Take a guy like Marcell Dareus. Frankly, I never heard of him before he got here to camp. And as the 3rd pick in the whole draft, you really dont expect much. But even though he is big and fast and was a superstar at a major college, Buddy and his guys saw something in him that they liked and to their credit they were right. I remember the first week of camp saying man this guy is playing better than some of our 5th and 6th rounders. He made you sit up and notice.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench
Please insert a link

Beerball, dude, there is no link, because there is no copyright, because it is a joke, written by me, posted here. Might not be a good joke. But it is my joke, so can you put it back please?

Sorry, no can do. Feel free to add what you want, but when your post title is "Interesting Article" these things happen.

You got me at "Interesting Article on Bills' Draft Philosophy Some good quotes" I never went past the first sentence.

Then you missed the whole point of the post. I'm not saying it was genius. Just that it was fair game in that anyone who bothered to read a little bit would know that it couldn't possibly be real. Just having a laugh.

Anyway, don't want to argue. But can't agree with a moderating philosophy that doesn't even read the post. But you're the mod, so no worries. And in general, I do appreciate how well and fairly you guys moderate my favorite site. Just think you are wrong in this case.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Feel better?

This is is intended as a joke, nothing but a joke. Please do not be alarmed and do not lynch the closest moderator. This is only a joke. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Fred Jackson contract update talk.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Feel better?

This is is intended as a joke, nothing but a joke. Please do not be alarmed and do not lynch the closest moderator. This is only a joke. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Fred Jackson contract update talk.

Thank you, oh fair and compassionate Moderator. (Seriously.)

Dammit!!

I wish a bell or buzzer would go off on everybody's computer or smartphone every time somebody clicks on that. I'd just snicker ever time I heard it go off.

Reminds me of a story I heard years ago (may not be true or might be a scene from a movie for all I know) about a bar that had a poster of a naked man over the urinal in the (one person) men's room. There was some kind of flap covering the groin area of the man in the poster that would flash the lights in the bar (not the bathroom) whenever a curious customer lifted it to see what was underneath. All the regulars knew what that meant.

Doug Whaley, the Bills’ recently appointed Director of Player Personnel, points to 2011 first round pick Marcell Dareus as evidence of the success of this philosophy:

“Sometimes, though, with a high pick you can find a guy like a Whitner or a Poz - a guy who basically stinks and won’t win you any Super Bowls, but can at least get on the field and contribute to keeping your margin of defeat a little lower."

THAT'S what I'm talking about... finally some honesty as to where our talent level has been. I'm sad that Poz turned out to be just another great college-turned-NFL journeyman linebacker. :(