Fitz stats in the last 15 games

PromoTheRobot

Fitz's stats over the last 15 games played:

300/512 [58.5%] 3472 yds 30 TDs 16 INTs

Jim Kelly's best season as a Bill - 1991 - 15 games played:

304/474 [64.1%] 3844 yds 33 TDs 17 INTs

If we drafted a QB #1 and he had these stats we'd be dancing jig that we found our new "franchise guy." Fitz is darn close to Kelly's best year as a Bill right now. But in the name of full disclosure I have to admit that I did not think Fitz would be this good when he took over last year. I was wrong.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we drafted a QB #1 and he had these stats we'd be dancing jig that we found our new "franchise guy." Fitz is darn close to Kelly's best year as a Bill right now. But in the name of full disclosure I have to admit that I did not think Fitz would be this good when he took over last year. I was wrong.

PTR

Nice stats. I knew Fitz was a helluva lot better than Edwards and should've been starting last years opener vs Miami. It's great to know Fitz is in his prime and he could play at this level for another several years. This is our Gannon or Warner. There's absolutely no way a Rook could do what he has done. It took a Harvard guy even a few years to be able to read a defense like this. QB'ing at this level is maybe the hardest thing to do in all of sports.

Fitzy (obi won) is number two on the QBR at ESPN so far this year.....amazing.

I didn't think he ever could be this good until after the Cincy game myself.

Now, I don't see why not. So much of the game is dependent on brain power.. he can read with the best of them and he can also see the field post snap with the best. Not that he is without athleticism....I'm just sayin'

He is using the force.....

Go Bills!

Fitz does appear to be the man. After this year we will all know if he is indeed the man. So far he has us billieving!

No matter what NE is our only real test so far this year. either we win or lose, we will find out how good we really are going face to face with one of the NFL's best. I do hope we pull off a strong defense, and a high powered offense performance. Imagine all the press Buffalo will get going 3-0!

Keep it up Fitzilla!

Edwards stats would have looked very similar as well if Adrian Wilson hadn't decapitated him.. :ph34r:

just kidding

Edited by 5 Wide

PTR

Yeah...but this year's team could win the Superbowl, and I still wouldn't feel as much loyalty to the players as I do to the early-90s teams. They were just something special.

PTR

Jim was one of the best QBs in the league during his era, and his numbers were always tops. Comparing Fitz's stats to a QB from 20 years ago doesn't show much.

Also youre right, we would be dancing the jig if a new guy was putting up those numbers. Our guy is in his 7th year.

Such a misleading post when you put the numbers next to each other. Why dont you show us how Fitz compares to other QBs over that span???

I'm not sure you can compare Kelly's numbers, to those of a current franchise QB...

I'll let you know after the season if Fitz has proven to me he is a franchise QB.

Listen to Chan's press conference about "franchise QBs." He makes a lot of sense. It's a made up media term.

Fitz is our QB right now and I couldn't be happier. Like Gailey said, he's a winner and a hell of a football player.

Edited by jwolf02

Jim was one of the best QBs in the league during his era, and his numbers were always tops. Comparing Fitz's stats to a QB from 20 years ago doesn't show much.

Also youre right, we would be dancing the jig if a new guy was putting up those numbers. Our guy is in his 7th year.

Such a misleading post when you put the numbers next to each other. Why dont you show us how Fitz compares to other QBs over that span???

I don't think those numbers are that misleading. Jim Kelly was in his eighth or seventh out of college in 91. So are you saying that Jim Kelly would be less of a Quarterback today at the same time, then he was twenty years ago. I agree with this statement. Jim didn't pay off right away from the Buffalo Bills he actually snubbed the team, not trying to take anything away from Kelly he's my hero, but Fitzmagic wants to be here. Second he puts up great numbers, the reason people don't like him is he doesn't have the typical pedigree and measurables of a Quaterback. I like Fitz and I think he represents the Buffalo as a city better than Luck would. I know we can win with him.

Nice stats. I knew Fitz was a helluva lot better than Edwards and should've been starting last years opener vs Miami. It's great to know Fitz is in his prime and he could play at this level for another several years. This is our Gannon or Warner. There's absolutely no way a Rook could do what he has done. It took a Harvard guy even a few years to be able to read a defense like this. QB'ing at this level is maybe the hardest thing to do in all of sports.

I like the Warner and Gannon analogy...This guy may be the perfect fit for this team-The right guy.

Weren't Plunkett and Stabler sort of like that too-Journeymen who found the right team?

I like the Warner and Gannon analogy...This guy may be the perfect fit for this team-The right guy.

Weren't Plunkett and Stabler sort of like that too-Journeymen who found the right team?

Maybe Gannon, not warner as he was tearing it up before he jumped to the NFL. He threw for 40 TDs in his first NFL season. Nothing like Fitz.

PTR

I don't want to rain on your parade. But I did a little math.

I started by calculating the average yards per attempt stat for the 15 most recent Fitz games to which you've alluded. It was 6.8. To put that into perspective, Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5. You need to have a career average of 7.2 to (in my book) be considered a marginal franchise QB, and an average of 7.4 to be considered a definite franchise QB.

I then calculated Jim Kelly's average yards per attempt stat from the season you mentioned. It was 8.1. That number has "franchise QB" written all over it!

The difference between 6.8 and 8.1 is big enough that Fitz's last 15 games are not in the same category as Kelly's best season as a Bill. That said, I'd argue that Fitz has played very well during his last two games. If he continues to look as good as he did against the Raiders and Chiefs, his yards per attempt stat will very likely improve.