Dick Jauron

Estelle Getty

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Browns are so stupid. They have Rob Ryan building a good 3-4 D, then decide to switch to a tampa two and bring in bending and breaking Dickie J? WTF? Who made that decision....

There's a glut of undersized defensive linemen and linebackers coming out of college and the Browns wanted to take advantage of it?

I don't think that's true. What happened was Cincinnati quick-snapped the ball before the Browns D had lined up, ie. the play had been called but the defense hadn't lined up yet. The Browns D should have called a timeout but Dickie J had looked down to figure out his next playcall so he didn't see the Bengals trying to quick-snap.

Here's the article with Dickie J taking responsibility for it:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/09/cleveland_browns_defensive_coo_7.html

We all know Dickie J is good at taking responsibility with no accountability otherwise he'd fire himself.

The perplexing thing about this entire situation is that in a previous article Scott Fujita (LB) took responsibility for not calling the time-out but he did mention defensive players are not allowed to call time-outs unless the coaching staff on the sideline approves or signals it in.

That seems a bit unbelievable to me and harkens back to when our QB's weren't allowed to change the plays at the line of scrimmage. Good luck with Mr. Jauron, Cleveland!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

According to this he didn't have the play called but either way it was his fault and he is still a horrible joke of a coach.

Edited by Brian Billick

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

According to this he didn't have the play called but either way it was his fault and he is still a horrible joke of a coach.

No, he had called the play. D'Qwell Jackson hadn't finished calling the play in the huddle when the Bengals went ahead and snapped the ball quickly. Here's Dick's own words from your PFT article:

"That's one thing you can do and that'll help us clearly," said Jauron, in his 27th season as a coach in the league. "We just have got to be aware. After making the call, I was looking down at my gameplan sheet, thinking about the next call. I missed it. There's nothing else I can say about it. I should have been able to help."

Here's a link to Fujita's explanation after the game:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/09/cleveland_browns_had_ample_tim.html

And here's Fujita's explanation:

"Typically, in a situation like that if I would've noticed, I probably would've just called it," he said. "I should've called it. Generally we're supposed to get permission from the sideline before we can call a timeout on defense. But me being the crusty old bastard I am, I should've noticed it and I should have called it."

We're in agreement that this is ultimately Jauron's fault but my point for belaboring all this is that I've long suspected Jauron was very controlling of our offense while he was here. People have blamed Trent Edwards and the various offensive coordinators but I think Jauron ultimately sabotaged the offense with his controlling conservatism.

Now, it seems preposterous that Jauron would not allow any Cleveland defensive players on the field to call time-out without permission. And Jauron's first solution to this quick-snap problem was to keep the DB's out of the huddle and hand signal them the calls!

A Plain Dealer reporter today claimed Jauron relented and will allow only Fujita and D'Qwell Jackson to call time outs if absolutely necessary.

The truth of this story interests me because it points to the real reason Jauron is such a lousy game-day coach.

Edited by GaryPinC

No, he had called the play. D'Qwell Jackson hadn't finished calling the play in the huddle when the Bengals went ahead and snapped the ball quickly. Here's Dick's own words from your PFT article:

"That's one thing you can do and that'll help us clearly," said Jauron, in his 27th season as a coach in the league. "We just have got to be aware. After making the call, I was looking down at my gameplan sheet, thinking about the next call. I missed it. There's nothing else I can say about it. I should have been able to help."

Here's a link to Fujita's explanation after the game:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/09/cleveland_browns_had_ample_tim.html

And here's Fujita's explanation:

"Typically, in a situation like that if I would've noticed, I probably would've just called it," he said. "I should've called it. Generally we're supposed to get permission from the sideline before we can call a timeout on defense. But me being the crusty old bastard I am, I should've noticed it and I should have called it."

We're in agreement that this is ultimately Jauron's fault but my point for belaboring all this is that I've long suspected Jauron was very controlling of our offense while he was here. People have blamed Trent Edwards and the various offensive coordinators but I think Jauron ultimately sabotaged the offense with his controlling conservatism.

Now, it seems preposterous that Jauron would not allow any Cleveland defensive players on the field to call time-out without permission. And Jauron's first solution to this quick-snap problem was to keep the DB's out of the huddle and hand signal them the calls!

A Plain Dealer reporter today claimed Jauron relented and will allow only Fujita and D'Qwell Jackson to call time outs if absolutely necessary.

The truth of this story interests me because it points to the real reason Jauron is such a lousy game-day coach.

PFT Quote

"“When the offense is ready to snap the ball, we’ve got to be ready to play defense,” Jauron said. “That’s my responsibility and I didn’t get it done on that play.”

The Browns’ defense didn’t have its play called when the Bengals hurried to the line on that decisive touchdown, and at the time the ball was snapped, Jauron was looking down at his play sheet. There’s no excuse for that lack of preparedness, as Jauron acknowledged."

Not sure what part of that is confusing for you and he is not our coach anymore you do not have to defend his stupidity. Altthough you do ultimately agree he is a horrible coach.

I don't really agree, though I don't miss Fewell in the least. Their defense is devastated by injury and still managed to put on a pretty good pass rush against the Redskins.

Their pass rush is good primarily because they have done very well drafting defensive ends. This year, they took a first round corner who is injured.

Last season they had a huge lead against the Eagles, and promptly blew the game with the Levy/Jauron/Fewell "play not to lose" mentality. It was a very important game and ruined their season.

Fewell is another guy who, like Jauron, should limit his coaching to defensive backs, or whatever his specialty may be. My money says that both of them will be fired within a year or 2.

He admitted he didn't get a play called in time for the Bowns D and that allowed A.J. Green to score the winning touchdown. It was on PFT. Ironically as I was typing this I realized I forgot to shut the hose off and slightly flooded my garage but atleast I didn't cost the Bills a win.

I think I'm going to start doing that from now on: prefacing with "Ironically" randonm statements that have absolutely no irony in them whatsoever.

I think I'm going to start doing that from now on: prefacing with "Ironically" randonm statements that have absolutely no irony in them whatsoever.

Thomas by that comment I would guess your a 60 something year old who dropped out of the 4th grade in 1956 to support your family. I am happy you were able to learn how to ask for help using the computer along the way!!!

I am also gonna go out on a limb and guess that the highlight of DC Toms life was catching a koosh ball from Rosie O'donnell during a live taping in 1999.

Edited by Brian Billick

PFT Quote

"“When the offense is ready to snap the ball, we’ve got to be ready to play defense,” Jauron said. “That’s my responsibility and I didn’t get it done on that play.”

The Browns’ defense didn’t have its play called when the Bengals hurried to the line on that decisive touchdown, and at the time the ball was snapped, Jauron was looking down at his play sheet. There’s no excuse for that lack of preparedness, as Jauron acknowledged."

Not sure what part of that is confusing for you and he is not our coach anymore you do not have to defend his stupidity. Altthough you do ultimately agree he is a horrible coach.

Actually you are the one who is confused. I'll try and summarize for you.

1. Dick Jauron calls in the play to D'Qwell Jackson then Jauron proceeds to look down at his playlist to plan what he wants to call for the next play.

2. D'Qwell Jackson starts to call the play to the rest of the Browns defense while Cincinnati quick-snaps the ball before he can finish the play call. As a result, Cinci scores the touchdown while the Browns are still in a loose huddle trying to get the play called.

This is why the article says the defense didn't have it play called and why Jauron missed the quick snap because he was trying to plan his next move.

Here's a longer excerpt from the Plain Dealer article I referenced in my first response about the situation:

BEREA, Ohio — In the briefest of moments, Dick Jauron glanced down and focused on what his next move would be in the game against Cincinnati.

And in that same moment, the Browns lost the game, the defensive coordinator said Thursday.

Jauron accepted blame for the defensive gaffe that resulted in a 41-yard quick-snap touchdown Sunday that meant the difference in a 27-17 loss to the Bengals, and he confirmed that Browns cornerbacks will no longer huddle during games to prevent such a mistake from being repeated.

"I didn't see it," Jauron said. "After making the call, I was back on my game-plan sheet and thinking about a call ahead, and I missed it. There's nothing else I can say about it. I just missed it."

What Jauron didn't see was Bengals players lining up a bit more quickly than usual, snapping the ball faster than anyone realized and backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski tossing a touchdown pass to A.J. Green -- all before the Browns defense had broken its huddle

Edited by GaryPinC

Actually you are the one who is confused. I'll try and summarize for you.

1. Dick Jauron calls in the play to D'Qwell Jackson then Jauron proceeds to look down at his playlist to plan what he wants to call for the next play.

2. D'Qwell Jackson starts to call the play to the rest of the Browns defense while Cincinnati quick-snaps the ball before he can finish the play call. As a result, Cinci scores the touchdown while the Browns are still in a loose huddle trying to get the play called.

This is why the article says the defense didn't have it play called and why Jauron missed the quick snap because he was trying to plan his next move.

Here's a longer excerpt from the Plain Dealer article I referenced in my first response about the situation:

BEREA, Ohio — In the briefest of moments, Dick Jauron glanced down and focused on what his next move would be in the game against Cincinnati.

And in that same moment, the Browns lost the game, the defensive coordinator said Thursday.

Jauron accepted blame for the defensive gaffe that resulted in a 41-yard quick-snap touchdown Sunday that meant the difference in a 27-17 loss to the Bengals, and he confirmed that Browns cornerbacks will no longer huddle during games to prevent such a mistake from being repeated.

"I didn't see it," Jauron said. "After making the call, I was back on my game-plan sheet and thinking about a call ahead, and I missed it. There's nothing else I can say about it. I just missed it."

What Jauron didn't see was Bengals players lining up a bit more quickly than usual, snapping the ball faster than anyone realized and backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski tossing a touchdown pass to A.J. Green -- all before the Browns defense had broken its huddle

We will agree to disagree whatever the situation is it was jaurons fault. He might have said he had the play called but even if he did he clearly did't call it in time.