Your lowest moment as a fan

Billzfan23

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One for each stage of life as a Bills fan:

Early Years: Dan Fouts connecting on the 50 yard TD with just over 2:00 to play in the 1980 divisional playoffs, followed by Fergie's INT to seal the game.

Super Bowl Years: TT's fumble to open the 2H of the last SB. We were just starting to believe it was possible that day and BAM, in an instant our fate was sealed.

Post SB (still respectable) Years: Music City Miracle. Worst play in football history.

The Disaster Years: Cowboys MNF. The one that finally broke me. Simply put, I'll never again care quite as much as I did before the last minute of that game.

The music city "miracle" sucked, but hey, at least we were in the playoffs and competing...

I think this one will always stick with me though, one of the worst games of pro football EVER to be played. The 2009 6-3 loss vs the Browns, the slug fest between two legendary QB's...

Despite Trent Edwards explosion of offense in that game (153 yards), he couldn't manage to lead his Bills past the historic 2 of 17 for 23 yards performance that Derrick Anderson put up...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291011002

This one scarred me. It's one thing to be bad, but to look that awful against a team that looked like they were trying to lose was just pathetic...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The music city "miracle" sucked, but hey, at least we were in the playoffs and competing...

I think this one will always stick with me though, one of the worst games of pro football EVER to be played. The 2009 6-3 loss vs the Browns, the slug fest between two legendary QB's...

Despite Trent Edwards explosion of offense in that game (153 yards), he couldn't manage to lead his Bills past the historic 2 of 17 for 23 yards performance that Derrick Anderson put up...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291011002

That game was painful to watch. We should have cut Trent and fired Dick on the spot. (And I'm not one for swift action) That was the single worst football game id ever seen at any level, pure pathetic.

Trent Edwards and Dick's biggest problem? They couldn't beat the Browns to save their life.

Sure there have been some staggering losses by the Bills - where they literally could have done just about ANYTHING other than what they did and pulled out a victory (The Dallas MNF game, the McFumble against the Pats) but when you step back those would have been some great wins but for the final score.

The low point has to be when you lose to a team you had no business losing to - you just somehow just managed to be worse than they were - that game was the 2009 game aginst Cleveland. Worst football ever and the only thing we succeded in was being the worst team on the field. Dick Jauron was coach and he was obviously in way over his head. Players didn't care. Front office said nothing. Nobody cared, nobody was accountable for that level of utter garbage we as fans were asked to happily swallow.

It's about that time that it really hit me - while the Bills would LIKE to win (who doesn't?) they certainly weren't going to do much to make it happen. Win a handful of games? Good enough. Maintain a certain number of fans? Good enough. Didn't matter that there was a huge dearth of talent on the roster. Didn't matter that the absolute clowns responsible for fielding such a team - coaches, scouts, front office kept their jobs and it was business as usual - the silence was deafening. Really felt like I had all this passion as a fan and I was loving something that didn't love me back - it simply didn't care. I stopped going to Bills games. I stopped getting that attached. I still root for the team and cheer like hell but I understand better now that the Bills aren't really in it to win it - they are there to be there. It's sad, but it makes 4-12 seasons and the losses on Sunday easier to take now that I can see things through this lens - but damn if that ain't a sad state of affairs.

Holy crap, I had an idea until reading all these, boy this is depressing.

I guess I'll stick with the whole Flutie/Johnson era. Capped by "home run throw-up"

Just cant take all the QB controversy they have had. Too many excuses, coach wants this, owner says this, alternate guys, indecision. Almost gave up!

Alright enough depression, move on. :blush:

A lot of the pain here is of too recent a vintage. Here's some of the older school stuff:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197411170mia.htm (Don Nottingham scored on a 23 yard run with 19 seconds left)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198201030cin.htm ("Fergy drove the Bills down to the Cincy 20 yard line as the clock was ticking down. Ferguson, on third down, connected to Lou Piccone for the first down, but a much contested delay-of-game penalty nullified the play.")

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198712200buf.htm (This loss basically cost the Bills a playoff spot in 1987. Kelly was allegedly hungover during the game.)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199001060cle.htm (Who can forget this one???)

Unlike more recent ones like the 6-3 Browns game, these ones actually mattered.

Edited by dave mcbride

My lowest moment... The second Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys... I really believed Buffalo had a better team and mistakes led to Dallas comming from behind in the second half and sticking a dagger in my heart!!

There was also the game against Miami in the cold rain, when Tom Dempsey missed the game winner by 1/2 a foot!!! Bad Joke.. Sorry!!

Edited by MyHorseAteTheKid

My lowest moment... The second Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys... I really believed Buffalo had a better team and mistakes led to Dallas comming from behind in the second half and sticking a dagger in my heart!!

There was also the game against Miami in the cold rain, when Tom Dempsey missed the game winner by 1/2 a foot!!! Bad Joke.. Sorry!!

The Dempsey loss was horrible. Yes, it was miserable weather, but it wasn't a long kick.

First half of miracle comeback against Oilers...actually, the first half plus the first drive--when the ball went off McKeller's hands for a pick/td to put Bills down 35-3. Couldn't have been any worse as I was taking the ornaments off the Christmas tree. I was already a 30-year fan by that time, so as the announcers piled on the comments about the Bills' futility, I became not only depressed, but also angry. The worst moment and best moment happened on the same day, and I will never give up on this team again.

Edited by trigger

I'm turning 30 soon so needs to be in perspective I was very young for WR, which certainly would be #1.

1. MCM

2. Just give it to em

3. Steelers back ups

4. Flutie Dolphins playoff game

5. MNF Dallas

Sure I could name several more, but to be honest I rather wouldn't.

In 1985, when I was living downstate, I went to Philadelphia to see the Bills play the Eagles in week 7, one week after the Bills had their 1st win of the 1985 season. The Bills were up 17-0 through 3 quarters but when the 4th quarter began, the Eagles were deep in Bills territory. They scored a TD early into the 4th quarter, then added 2 more TDs. After leading 17-0, the Bills let the Eagles score 21 unanswered 4th quarter points and lost 21-17.

Ah, yes, the Hank Bullough games. They had decent leads at the half in several games that year only to lose. The post-game comments usualy contained a couple of malaprops like "We lost The Sail in our Winds."

The Cowboys Monday nighter. The atmosphere at the stadium that night was incredible. The game had a million ups and downs and ended with not one 50+ FG, but two! Brutal loss after such an a great night. That game changed the way I felt about the Bills. No more undconditional fandom. I was sick of the ineptitude and the utter heart break. Hopefully things are going in the right direction but I am in a wait and see mode because in the back of my mind, I know they'll screw it up.

Given all of the optimism and promising start to the season (let's hope the bad lows are in our rear view) - what was your lowest moment of your history as a Bills fan? I'm 34 years old, grew up a Bills fan in southern Missouri of all places. I was 12 years old, volunteering at a food pantry during the summers, and I had a Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas shirt I used to wear to that job all the time. I always talked about Bills news and happening with my boss (the director of the place). He knew I was a fan, and oddly enough, he was a displaced western New Yorker and his younger brother worked as a scout for the Bills. My boss calls his brother, asks him if he can get the Bills to do something nice for me - and I end up getting a huge package in the mail with an autographed picture of Jim Kelly - and a bunch of Bills stuff in 1991.

Of course, when I was 13, 14, 15, and 16 years old - the Bills lost superbowls. Every single one of them stung like hell. But...I have to say - in 1997 I went to my first Bills game ever. I had moved to Boston right out of high school - and was at the Bills/Pats game in the fall of 1997. The game was a home game in Foxboro for the Pats, and first place in the division was on the line. Jim Kelly had retired, Thurman was still on the team - and there I was, decked out in Bills gear - and Todd Collins gets injured, the Bills get blown out (with Billy Joe Hobert who later admitted he didn't know the playbook) and it was an ugly year. The end of that game was the lowest point for me as a fan (yes, even lower than the Gregg Willams era)

For some reason, being there, seeing it live, getting heckled, etc...sucked worse than the home run throwback in January of 2000.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but out of curiosity - what was your lowest point?

Just give it to 'em game--I was in a hotel room alone in Los Angeles--recovering from spinal surgery....

...closely followed by the news that Kelsay was extended for millions of dollars.--Both sad events in their own ways.