Beating the Raiders

RevWarRifleman

Great win for the Bills out in KC!! Enjoyed it thoroughly.

But now we have the Raiders at the Ralph. I don't know that much about the Raiders,(because I dislike them so much) other than they have a "pretty good" defense.

So, for the more informed Bills fans that do know about the Raiders, what are some key things, offensively & defensively, the Bills must do to win the game.

PS: posters that want to put silly stuff on like, "score more points than they do....." need not respond.

Ok, fire away.

Caveat: I only watched the first half last night and was finishing some work stuff during the game.

From what I saw, Denver had a total Fail to keep Oakland out of their backfield. Runs were consistently getting stuffed for a loss and Orton was running for his life.

Oakland's front 7 is big, and aggressive. That said, I missed the beginning as well (silly ESPN, staying with NE-MIA game that was over in the 3rd quarter).

I suspect Denver may have become one-dimensional and allowed Oakland to stack the box and key off the RB.

Certainly if we can establish a passing game, it will help us big time. The elusive Freddy J may be key.

On offense, again, I thought Oakland just dominated Denver. Their line was getting a consistent push to spring the runner, and Campbell had all day to throw. He really looked like a quality quarterback I thought (which reflects the line play here IMO) Contain the run, and bring enough pressure to force quick release.

Denver caught some bad breaks-blocked punt and stupid penalties.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But Hue Jackson was their offensive coordinator last year and the offense and defense are largely the same as last year.

The Raiders have a lot of very talented players that no one has ever heard of.

Defensively they can generate pressure with a 4-man rush and they have good coverage players.

Offensively their O-line appears not to have missed a beat and their running game will be a huge challenge. McFadden is outstanding and Michael Bush is a very physical runner. They've yet to unveil rookie speedster Taiwan Jones.

The Raiders could be one of this year's big surprise teams. They are supremely athletic and large and will present a very stern test to our Bills. If the Bills don't take this game seriously, they will lose.

This matches what I saw last night. I also saw a preseason game against NO, and when the starters were still in, Raiders were all over NO. Brees was running for his life, NO couldn't run the ball, Raiders were running at will, and Campbell looks much better with lots of time.

We can beat them, but we must take them seriously.

One aspect of the Bills not mentioned much was the disciplined play -lack of critical penalties. Yes, we had a couple procedure & off sides, but pretty disciplined, all in all. We'll need to see this as a year-long mantra as we attempt to crawl out of the League basement.

The Raiders -on the other hand- are famously notorious for 100+ypg in penalties. They are a physical challenge and we'll have to meet them, but if we stay away from the yellow hankies, they'll likely do themselves in with a 'Laundry Day'.

People talk about Spiller being a bust. All they have to do is look at McFadden, who didn't become a factor until his 3rd year. He is quick and shifty and from what I saw of him yesterday, he was finishing his runs, lowering his shoulder, and putting a hit on the defense rather than running out of bounds. Their running attack is a potent 3 headed monster comprised of McFadden, Bush, and Marcell Reese with a little Jacoby Ford mixed in.

We beat them if we are able to stop the run and pressure Campbell, who looks lost at times. Their defense was everywhere as well. With Seymore anchoring the D-Line and Rolando McClain in the middle of the LB corp they are big. They also forced a lot of incompletions from normally accurate Orton last night as well, which shows me that they don't miss Asomugha as much as some people think they would.

The thing that we have going for us is that they have to travel across the country on a short week and play a 1pm game, which is what I think will be the difference maker.

The thing that we have going for us is that they have to travel across the country on a short week and play a 1pm game, which is what I think will be the difference maker.

We're not Denver either, their main rival. They will not have the motivation to play us nearly as much, and they'll fall flat. Oakland winning was the best thing that could have happened to the Bills, because they'll be on such a high that we will be there to watch them fall.

People talk about Spiller being a bust. All they have to do is look at McFadden, who didn't become a factor until his 3rd year. He is quick and shifty and from what I saw of him yesterday, he was finishing his runs, lowering his shoulder, and putting a hit on the defense rather than running out of bounds. Their running attack is a potent 3 headed monster comprised of McFadden, Bush, and Marcell Reese with a little Jacoby Ford mixed in.

We beat them if we are able to stop the run and pressure Campbell, who looks lost at times. Their defense was everywhere as well. With Seymore anchoring the D-Line and Rolando McClain in the middle of the LB corp they are big. They also forced a lot of incompletions from normally accurate Orton last night as well, which shows me that they don't miss Asomugha as much as some people think they would.

Good post. They'll travel Saturday, but game time will be 10:00a.m. to them, meaning being at the Stadium around 7a.m. PST. I'll take any advantage we can get!

Beating the Raiders? Its all about stopping their running game. We still have the reputation (althoughly it is rapidly diminishing after the KC game) of being a team you can run against and they have the reputation of a team that can run. Keeping them off the field is important and stopping the run game early will get them into a passing mode...especially if we have the lead.

This game is winnable if we can stop their running game. Ought to put to rest our reputation as a team that can be run on as well.

One aspect of the Bills not mentioned much was the disciplined play -lack of critical penalties. Yes, we had a couple procedure & off sides, but pretty disciplined, all in all. We'll need to see this as a year-long mantra as we attempt to crawl out of the League basement.

The Raiders -on the other hand- are famously notorious for 100+ypg in penalties. They are a physical challenge and we'll have to meet them, but if we stay away from the yellow hankies, they'll likely do themselves in with a 'Laundry Day'.

Uh... we had 5 penalties, I think the Chiefs had one.

1) Stop the run. They have an excellent running game.

2) Contain Campbell from scrambling. Have a spy as part of defensive gameplan.

3) Spread offense in shotgun, max protect Fitz under center.

4) Use Brad Smith more.

5) Gailey outcoached Haley in week 1. Gailey will be given more time to prepare for this game due to the raiders schedule. This is to our advantage.

Uh... we had 5 penalties, I think the Chiefs had one.

Did you miss the word "critical" in his post? I'd hardly call 5 for 30 an undisciplined outing.

Back to the original topic -- I'm glad Oakland won last night and McFadden ran well. I know the Bills realize they haven't truly accomplished anything yet, but it will be very good for them to watch that film. No overconfidence coming out of One Bills Drive this week.

A few things stood out to me from last nights game:

The Raiders continue to kill themselves with stupid penalties. In this regard its the same old Raiders. They kept Denver on the field with a ton of offfsides and a handful of personal fouls. Discipline is not their strength.

Raiders were in Orton's face all game. Denver's line was over matched, gave up sacks, hits, hurries and took a lot of false start and holding penalties. Not sure if this is more a product of Oakland's pass rush or Denver's young line. Either way I expect Oakland to pose some problems for Fitz. Oakland's pass defense didn't look like anything special, and can probably be attacked after losing Nnamdi.

Oakland's offense is miserable. Yes they can run McFadden, but thats about it. Campbell looked terrible. 105 passing yards, holds onto the ball forever. Their Oline gave him a lot of time to throw and he still couldn't do anything with it.

Oakland's defense is tough, but they will struggle to score points. Denver turnovers and a big special teams play was the difference in this game. If the Bills can protect the football and contain McFadden, I think the Raiders will not be able to match our output on offense.

It starts with attitude imo!! F*ck the raiders and honestly that's how I feel! We kick ass and take names. Ill say the same thing about DMC that I said about JC....go get him! I got something for your ass today! And that goes for anyone else on the raiders team who is considered good!

I've never been one to shun from the best in my lifetime and I hope the bills feel the same. you come to the Ralph and get punched right in your mouth. However, we don't stop. We continue to play smash mouth ball.

A&E! Attitude and execution is the key. Its not that I discredit the raiders for the things they do well. Its just that I think were a better team! And if you're not the Bills then....... F*ck you! I know its early fellas, but that's how I feel!

Every game is taken serious. Teams like oakland, you take their heart out of their chest from the kickoff. Just like we did KC.

THE NATION RISES!!

Edited by qdawg in philly

To me, one of the biggest keys to the KC win was time of possession (Buf 37:02, KC 22:58). Controlling the ball for almost 40 minutes while forcing your opponent to play catch-up from the opening play is a sure formula for victory, I think. Do the same against the Raiders, and we'll win.

Also, coaching. The Bills coaching staff seemed to have covered every single base against the Chiefs. Penalties were at a minimum. Gailey had his team well-prepared on offense, defense, and special teams, was fearless in his play-calling, and effectively countered anything and everything the Chiefs attempted. Hard to remember a game where the Bills players and coaching staff executed as well as everyone did this past Sunday.

It won't be quite as simple for Chan to out-coach Hue Jackson as it was Todd Haley, but if he takes the Bills into this week's game as well-prepared as he did against KC, victory is ours.

I'm predict something on the order of...

Buffalo Bills 53

OakTown Raiders - 0

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

post-2970-039923200 1315922667_thumb.jpg