Cam Newton breaks record

Zulu Cthulhu

Game still being played, but Newton breaks Peyton Manning's passing yardage record for a pro debut (302). Newton has 323 and counting with ~9 minutes left.

I'm sure Tim Tebow is better though.

He is still getting mugged. He is throwing it up to save his life and doing quite well from losing it! The guy is just moments away from a serious hit! These Panthers are going to let this guy get raped back there.

Game still being played, but Newton breaks Peyton Manning's passing yardage record for a pro debut (302). Newton has 323 and counting with ~9 minutes left.

Are they talking about first starts, or first time in a game...Marino's first start, against the Bills, has to be up there too...Fergy threw for 435 or so, but Marino had about 330, IIRC.

Are they talking about first starts, or first time in a game...Marino's first start, against the Bills, has to be up there too...Fergy threw for 435 or so, but Marino had about 330, IIRC.

I believe it is rookie debut by a QB. Either way, he looks mighty impressive. Newton is getting zero help from his running backs and still slicing Arizona up. Steve Smith looks re-energized.

Kolb looks sharp as well.

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

Just broke 400 yards. Really impressed. Look poised, took control of the plays, great game. Carolina should be really happy with this game, even though they lost.

I'll eat some crow and say that I never thought he'd have a game like that and he did it in the very first one.

Just broke 400 yards. Really impressed. Look poised, took control of the plays, great game. Carolina should be really happy with this game, even though they lost.

I'll eat some crow and say that I never thought he'd have a game like that and he did it in the very first one.

final line - 422 yrds, 11.4 per completion. Not bad.

Im a big Newton fan, and a big Tebow fan, AND a big Dareus fan.

Really glad to see Newton light it up in his first game after so many haters had so much venom for him all offseason.

Hope things get better for Tebow, I think he's being underestimated in Denver right now.

Given the choice, for the Buffalo Bills, Id still take Dareus every time. :thumbsup:

Which is why I hope newton continues to be good. Otherwise, I would be pretty worried when this group uses a high pick on a QB.

Why? It is two totally different situations. Success in Carolina doesn't mean he would have been successful here and the same goes for failure.

Actually, I don't think Peyton Manning held that record- and the person who did, would greatly surprise you...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7426/gamelog;_ylt=ArBuLcDLl0DF3buFSAV59T3.uLYF?year=2005

Actually, double-checking it looks like Otto Graham and Ed Rubbert are the first two on the list.

From Wiki:

"...The others were Otto Graham, 346 yards (1950); Ed Rubbert, 334 (a replacement player for the Washington Redskins during the 1987 strike); Mark Rypien, 303 (1988), and Peyton Manning, 302 (1998)."

Edited by BringBackFlutie