Brad Smith's Importance To This Offense

Like I said once we signed him, all he does is move the chains. Short yardage situation this guy is money! Proved it again today. He improves our offense mighty in those yardage distances. Always a threat to break one for 6. Would love to see him get the ball more on 3rd and 2 or 3. Oh yeah, he will be crucial on the goal line as well (despite the false start today).

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I wasn't impressed with his kick return prowess but he's a question mark that defenses have to account for

The new kickoff rule will hurt him, but it will even out with all teams. He was deadly with NY. What I want them to use him for is getting first downs and that`s exactly what he did. They were VERY VANILLA with him today and didn't show their cards and what their potential with him is. But short yardage situations is where you want him to get the ball the majority of the time and that's exactly what they did.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Not too crazy about the long bomb into double coverage, but the man got FIRST DOWNS!!! The Wildcat was gloriously successful today and I hope we can keep bringing it back as an ace in the hole.

I liked the long pass. It shows future opponents that we aren't afraid to let Smith throw. Parrish had his man beat and the throw would have been complete if not for another DB (I didn't see who) racing back and getting the pick.

Overall, though, I feel the Wildcat was only so-so against KC. It did produce a couple first downs, but not a lot of yards. Conventional running plays with Freddie were the way to go.

I'm still optimistic about Smith, however.

Not to be a downer, but I was not overly impressed with Brad Smith today. I like that he converted the 3rd downs... but he also made mistakes with the pick and the poor choice to return that kick. I know he supposedly has speed, but I haven't seen it yet...including preseason. He seems to practically stand still while he is dissecting the plays and waiting for blocks. Those were some ugly 2 yard runs out of the wildcat, EXCEPT that he got the first downs. Of course, I'll take an ugly third down conversion every time.

The thing that I like is that the wildcat is another tool in the shed. Did anyone notice how unpredictable the Bills offense was?

A TE who stays in to block most of the time but then just when you least expect it, he slips into coverage and becomes a money receiver.

An occasional draw play that opens up a run right up the gut of the defense.

Screen plays.

Crossing routes.

Sideline passes short and long.

Gailey was schooling KC today.

The kid is a human highlight reel. Fitz did well, but in t he 2nd quarter showed his love for three-and-outs twice. Who gives a crap that Brad threw an INT on a "gimmick" play that Chan was just trying out anyway! We were up 34-7. What petty nonsense.

Like I said once we signed him, all he does is move the chains. Short yardage situation this guy is money! Proved it again today. He improves our offense mighty in those yardage distances. Always a threat to break one for 6. Would love to see him get the ball more on 3rd and 2 or 3. Oh yeah, he will be crucial on the goal line as well (despite the false start today).

I can imagine Smith to Chandler being a big play on 3rd and short in the coming weeks. Big, forgiving target who allows them to mix the run and pass w/ credibly out of the wildcat.

Edited by cage

If the biggest thing we can complain about is a 3rd string QB who only converted a few short first down runs, and wasn't too impressive on kick-off return . . . well, it was a very good day.

Because as we all know, converting 3rd and short yardage situations is so overrated in the NFL.

By the way, he was pretty impressive on kick coverage -- always around the ball.

It was fun to watch him easily get first downs. But he has to be able to pass to be effective as a wildcat QB. Otherwise, he's just a third RB.

Can't wait to see what he brings. What an exciting offense we have now.

He's far more than just a third RB. That pass was a low percentage one to begin with, but it showed that the Bills will pass out of the (it's called ;))Wild Bill. Even if he misfires (and that's not always going to be the case), it's not like they can ignore the WR's.