Heard's role

Turbosrrgood

Everyone gets a little over-hyped about certain players, based on limited observations...I might be guilty of it on this one...

Having said that, Heard really impressed me in the pre-season (yes, against almost exclusively 2nd and 3rd stringers). He is huge and uses his size and strength well, but he is also surprisingly quick. He is very aggressive on the line, and extremely quick on the snap. He simply made plays, consistently.

I do actually like our D-line now, both starters and depth...Of those guys though, Edwards stands out as the weak link to me. He holds the point of attack, but that's about it. It's likely you will see Johnson rotating in for Dareus, and Heard rotating in for Edwards (These guys are big, and won't play every down). Personally I think if Heard continues his play from the pre-season he should start in place of Edwards down the road...Am I the only one thinking this?

My only concern with him is one of his strengths, his aggressiveness on the snap. Experienced QB's will probably be able to pull him off sides fairly often..

Everyone gets a little over-hyped about certain players, based on limited observations...I might be guilty of it on this one...

Having said that, Heard really impressed me in the pre-season (yes, against almost exclusively 2nd and 3rd stringers). He is huge and uses his size and strength well, but he is also surprisingly quick. He is very aggressive on the line, and extremely quick on the snap. He simply made plays, consistently.

I do actually like our D-line now, both starters and depth...Of those guys though, Edwards stands out as the weak link to me. He holds the point of attack, but that's about it. It's likely you will see Johnson rotating in for Dareus, and Heard rotating in for Edwards (These guys are big, and won't play every down). Personally I think if Heard continues his play from the pre-season he should start in place of Edwards down the road...Am I the only one thinking this?

My only concern with him is one of his strengths, his aggressiveness on the snap. Experienced QB's will probably be able to pull him off sides fairly often..

I definitely think that Heard is a little intriguing but my guess is that he is one of the inactives this week unless Troup can't go.

Agreed. I can live with over aggressiveness, thought he looked good too but I was getting flamed for saying he reminds me of retired Jet Chris Jenkins, which I still do.

Has Heard been lining up at DE in pre-season? I thought he was a NT.

Edwards is a DE. Are they interchangeable for some reason?

They switched him to end But I'm sure he can still line up at nose when need be.

I liked Heard too, but Edwards looks better at this point. Heard, Troup, Carrington and Johnson are very solid depth/rotational players. I'm sure there will be some disagreement with this, but I think that the position the DL is still in need of is NT. Williams is a very good penetrating DT but he is not a big time, giant, space eating NT. The Bills are going to need someone like that to really become a team that can't be run against.

I liked Heard too, but Edwards looks better at this point. Heard, Troup, Carrington and Johnson are very solid depth/rotational players. I'm sure there will be some disagreement with this, but I think that the position the DL is still in need of is NT. Williams is a very good penetrating DT but he is not a big time, giant, space eating NT. The Bills are going to need someone like that to really become a team that can't be run against.

Sometimes I wonder how familiar we really are on this board with other teams players. Edwards was a premiere FA pickup and starts on just about any 34 team in the league. His knock is the neck injury, not skill. The fact that after what amounts to about 10 games here in an awful front 7 he's suddenly depth or rotational in a lot of reviews is funny.

Agreed. I can live with over aggressiveness, thought he looked good too but I was getting flamed for saying he reminds me of retired Jet Chris Jenkins, which I still do.

They switched him to end But I'm sure he can still line up at nose when need be.

When you compare a guy that barely makes the team to possibly the best NT of the decade when healthy.....

I don't believe the Bills are playing a style of defense that needs the space eater. They have the point of attack players in Dareus and Edwards, with Dareus doing a little more penetrating and using Williams to get that penetration up the middle to disrupt the pass/run. The Bills are going to be using all 4 linebackers actively across the LOS to penetrate and get after the RB or QB.

I believe that the Bills are looking at who they play twice a year (cheaters and jests) and forming a front 7 that will get after their QB's and having Williams forcing plays to bounce out with DE and MD to hold the point while the LB's clean up.

Last year we were very weak at all 4 LB spots and there wasn't anyone big enough to do the cleaning up except corners and safeties. Hopefully that all changes this year with one of the strongest and experience LB corps we have seen with the Bills in years.

Has Heard been lining up at DE in pre-season? I thought he was a NT.

Edwards is a DE. Are they interchangeable for some reason?

Dline spots in a 3/4 (In a 4/3 too but there are more other differences between DT and DE) are playing certain gap assignments, so sort of, yes they are.

Sometimes I wonder how familiar we really are on this board with other teams players. Edwards was a premiere FA pickup and starts on just about any 34 team in the league. His knock is the neck injury, not skill. The fact that after what amounts to about 10 games here in an awful front 7 he's suddenly depth or rotational in a lot of reviews is funny.

You are right and I feel the same way about Andre Davis (although not a premier pick up a very solid one when healthy) too.

Last year Heard looked slow and didn't get a good push, but his game has really improved this year. He has been very disruptive. It's really good to see this :thumbsup:

I agree, he is noticeably improved over preseason last year and I am happy he made the team. UFDAs are the best deal, no wasted draft pick and low paid. The Bills are special when it comes to finding and developing these kind of players. He looked real good in a couple of PS games this year (and I liked it when they played him next to Jasper). I am happy they cut Dotson, he was a weak link in PS IMO.

Heard is better than Troup.

Well that's it gents, time for Troup to pack his bags. You heard it here first from Swami Papazoid".

Troup having playing limited snaps last year, hurt this pre-season (hand), and Heard who has taken anything but pre-season snaps basically, and he's already anointed the superior player? Jeez.........