The only thing that will fix our offensive line is.....

White Linen

What will help this line is good health and good luck. As we all know, there is no experienced depth.

If they can avoid injuries the starting 5 could jell into something decent. Not expectuing dominant play so Chan will have to be clever.

Edited by Bob in STL

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent point - Chan is the innovator and will work with what he has at his disposal. With defensive improvement this season and building the offensive line next - this team is on the right track. This will be fun to watch...my prediction is that we will beat the Pats - Jets and Fins at least once each!

Go Bills!!!

I am with you. We've got a full week still to be optimistic before reality kicks in. Gotta live it up!!

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Time. If you have a group you believe in, you need to give them time. For as horrible as everyone wants to make this group out to be, they performed pretty well in the 2nd half of the season before getting hit by injuries.

Obviously, the depth is very worrisome but the starters are not as bad as some posters seem to want them to be.

No way. We were sold that bill of goods when they drafted spiller and the oline looks even worse. Talent players don't make olines look better. Now some players are so good they can overcome a poor oline, like Aaron Rodgers. BUT the educated observer can still see how lacking the Pack line was.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'll address that two ways and both are no to your question. I just don't get the theory of we should have drafted a guy that went 23rd with the 9th pick. You could say that about every pick after yours in every round for every draft pick that doesn't work out. Plus you want us to draft a right tackle with the 9th overall pick? He went where a right tackle should go. Let's get another thing straight, Bulaga isn't that good. And even if he is how would you know, do you watch every Packer game and concentrate on the right side of the offensive line?

Lastly, let's wait a bit longer before we judge Spiller. Good Lord he was a rookie last year with two starting RB's already on the team. The line couldn't block for Jackson and Lynch let alone a fledgling rookie trying to learn an NFL offense, learn blocking assignments, and basically learn how to run like an NFL back. People forget that it takes time for guys like Spiller that ran free and could get away with stoping and starting in College because their overwhelming talent allowed them to.

The question I raised, was based on the writer's observation that our OL is basically incapable of giving Spiller what he needs to be successful (play in space was the writer's terminology). So if the writer was correct, it makes Spiller a wasted draft pick. Sorry, if the truth hurts...

Bulaga was starting by mid-season. He was drafted with the idea that he would takeover eventually for Chad Clifton, the Packers Starting LT. I don't know about you, but I would prefer an every down OT whether LT or RT over a RB who will be spending significant amounts of time on the bench again this season from the looks of it...

Many of us wanted Bulaga at the time of the draft. So this is NOT hindsight as you are implying.

I can remember Buddy saying right after Spiller was drafted that Spiller would "create excitement". Does "create excitement" = SELL TICKETS? I'd rather have an every down player than a 3rd down RB... How much "excitement"/tickets has Spiller created/sold???

It's interesting to note that as of today, NOT ONE of Buddy's picks from last year is starting... NOT ONE.

The question I raised, was based on the writer's observation that our OL is basically incapable of giving Spiller what he needs to be successful (play in space was the writer's terminology). So if the writer was correct, it makes Spiller a wasted draft pick. Sorry, if the truth hurts...

Bulaga was starting by mid-season. He was drafted with the idea that he would takeover eventually for Chad Clifton, the Packers Starting LT. I don't know about you, but I would prefer an every down OT whether LT or RT over a RB who will be spending significant amounts of time on the bench again this season from the looks of it...

Many of us wanted Bulaga at the time of the draft. So this is NOT hindsight as you are implying.

I can remember Buddy saying right after Spiller was drafted that Spiller would "create excitement". Does "create excitement" = SELL TICKETS? I'd rather have an every down player than a 3rd down RB... How much "excitement"/tickets has Spiller created/sold???

It's interesting to note that as of today, NOT ONE of Buddy's picks from last year is starting... NOT ONE.

I am "the writer". Of course I would prefer any every down player over Spiller IN HINDSIGHT. The Bills should have experts like you working for them. "Hey guys I have a list of players we should have drafted, but not in hindsight."

You should go to the Eagles, Rams, Bears, Cardinals, and Bengals sites and tell them they should have drafted Kyle Williams before they drafted their 2006 DT's.

Edited by Triple Threat

The Packers drafted Derek Sherrod in the first round this year… to be their left tackle when Chad Clifton retires or needs replacing.

In other words, Bulaga is most likely the permanent right tackle.

The Ravens suffered at left tackle last year when Michael Oher was forced into the position with the injury to Jared Gaither. This year the Ravens picked up Bryant McKinnie to play left tackle and moved Oher back to right tackle where he played decently as a rookie.

I agree there are players we should have selected instead of Maybin and Spiller (and I said so at the time).

But you don't spend the 9th or the 11th pick on a future right tackle, IMO.

Perhaps someday Oher or Bulaga make the Pro Bowl and I change my mind. But with top 3rd picks in the first round, you have to draft impact players, IMO… not decent right tackles.

..... excellent QB play and great play calling. This line will look as good as Fitzpatrick plays and Chan's game plan.

I think there's more than one way to make an offense work despite having a good offensive line. I for one am optimistic Chan and Fitz can get it done, and I'm not just talking blind faith fandom. I think our offense is set up for quick decisions in the passing game and we have a running back in Fred Jackson that seems to always make the right first decision.

Our offensive line isn't good enough for a back like Spiller to succeed, he needs space. Our line isn't good enough for a medium to deep passing game, hence it doesn't fit well for a guy like Evans. We need good route runners, sure handed, tough receivers.

The biggest question mark I have for our offense to succeed is our receiving core not the line. Our offense is going to be about quick routes, balanced play calling, gadget stuff (wildcat), and a QB unafraid to throw in tight windows. If we execute properly the line will look a lot better than it actually is.

Ask bill polian, who blames poor play from the offensive line for colts super bowl loss to saints, including manning's costly pick at the end

I'll address that two ways and both are no to your question. I just don't get the theory of we should have drafted a guy that went 23rd with the 9th pick. You could say that about every pick after yours in every round for every draft pick that doesn't work out. Plus you want us to draft a right tackle with the 9th overall pick? He went where a right tackle should go. Let's get another thing straight, Bulaga isn't that good. And even if he is how would you know, do you watch every Packer game and concentrate on the right side of the offensive line?

Agreed. How bout the guy that went 11th?

(Considering that we already had Fred Jackson and first-round pick (#12-overall) Marshawn Lynch on the roster.)

I thought you were going to say "MORE COWBELL!!!"

youtube.com/watch?v=q4royOLtvmQ

PTR

You know what's awesome about that skit? Christopher Walken. While EVERYONE in the skit is losing it...Fallon, Ferrell, all of them, he's got the straight face and delivers that line. Dude's great. :lol:

I agree mostly with your post; however I feel that Chan is going to have the play calling done to his advantage or to the strengths of the offense. This being said, many screen calls and quick outpasses only to get the other teams to back off the blitzing. If we establish a run game (which I see us doing better than most think) early then that will open play action pass and a deep pass to Easley as well. I think that our first game will be nothing but short passes and screens along with 2-3 yard runs. We will try to hit a deep pass a few times as well. Fitz will throw a pick or two but the offensive line will hold it's own. I also think our deffense will come up really big and we will be a head the whole game and easily win this one. Buffalo got better than last year as KC will not be as good. Buffalo will win this one 24-17. They get to 17 with a couple minutes left, so the game will not be as close as many think. Cassel will be hurting as we shut down the run game quick and early and Fitz hits Easley early on to give us a lead that we keep all game.

Gonna be interesting for certain, I just don't have as much faith in this line as most of you. Still no TE, only one proven RB, unproven starting WR in Jones. No more Evans to draw away coverages. I look at the Chicago, Bronco's and Lions games and see a bad offense. The only game the offense looked good in was the Jags game, and I look at the Jags and see a bad team that just cut their starting QB. no pass rush at all. That team signed Poz as an upgrade...

At KC and T Hall who had 14.5 sacks last year. 14th overall D last year

Home:Oakland had the #2 defense against the pass last year, 11th overall last year. new HC tho

Home: NE with Wilfork & Haynsworth in the middle should test that line. NE ranked worse the Buffalo in overall D but had a +28 turnover ratio

At The Bungals...the Bills could beat this team even when they had CP

Home:Eagles..dream team with two top CB's..12th overall D last year

AT NY Giants with 2 sacker's that had 11.5 sacks each, 7th overall D last year

if the line can't get it done...it will be another PP season. 2-4 at the bye

Edited by Harvey lives

Ask bill polian, who blames poor play from the offensive line for colts super bowl loss to saints, including manning's costly pick at the end

This isn't about blame. This is about what will make our poor o line look better than it really is, and the things that will do that is good play calling and QB execution. Yes, our offense cannot rely on good line play to work. So what are you suggesting we call a game like Jauron's regime and just continue to watch our QB get killed so we can blame our line? Would that make you feel better?