Jones #2 receiver

Sig1Hunter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is revisionist history at it's finest. There were a ton of question marks around Stevie last year. He was given the job, and didn't live up to the message board hype until week 3 of the regular season.

Everybody "knew" he was going to be good. I am glad he worked out, statistically anyways. It would be nice if he could cut down on the dropped balls this year, and maybe mix in a spectacular catch here and there. He caught balls he was supposed to. I will give him he is a very good route runner, but I am not ready to put him in Canton yet.

Didn't he also get benched for Roscoe...I think in Week 2?

I still have flashbacks of the Pittsburg game. I'm in Pittsburg territory and can't say to much and we win the game in OT with Stevie getting the ball in the end zone. WE WIN OPPs he dropped it. Until he catches the big one afew times I will wonder just how good he is. So give Jones the benifit of the doubt and let him have the opportunity. I like Easley alot. Boy I love the Bills.

I still have flashbacks of the Pittsburg game. I'm in Pittsburg territory and can't say to much and we win the game in OT with Stevie getting the ball in the end zone. WE WIN OPPs he dropped it. Until he catches the big one afew times I will wonder just how good he is. So give Jones the benifit of the doubt and let him have the opportunity. I like Easley alot. Boy I love the Bills.

Think of it this way -- we wouldn't have Dareus if it wasn't for Stevie's drop.

Boy, I love the Bills as well

JONES in a REAL GAME

I like Donald, but he's gotta be the worst #2 WR in the league. Love Roscoe in the slot though

:wallbash: You sure seem to dislike a lot of the Bill's players. Perhaps your name fits.

Perhaps was it this play that caused you to dislike Jones so much? You do realize that as an undrafted rookie he didn't get a lot of rep's at wideout ...

At least we agree on what a healthy Roscoe in the slot can do!

:wallbash: You sure seem to dislike a lot of the Bill's players. Perhaps your name fits.

Perhaps was it this play that caused you to dislike Jones so much? You do realize that as an undrafted rookie he didn't get a lot of rep's at wideout ...

At least we agree on what a healthy Roscoe in the slot can do!

I love the Bills and most of their players. The only starters I don't agree with/don't like are Jones, Kelsay and Easley (as a KR.)

Who else have I criticized?

I think I'm more optimistic than most of the people on this board...

Last year, if Stevie Johnson started as the #2 receiver, a lot of folks would have said he was the worst #2 receiver in the league as well. You can't prove people wrong if you don't get the opportunity. IT's a great chance for Jones.

That said, as others have mentioned, it really doesn't mean much. The Bills play a lot of receivers. Roscoe is probably the real #2 option on most players, but he can never be a #2 receiver in the league because of his size. Jones is the best blocker receiver on the team, thus he gets the edge for now. I think eventually, it will be Easely job to lose.

He DID start as the #2 receiver last year, lost it to Roscoe and then got it back.

This is revisionist history at it's finest. There were a ton of question marks around Stevie last year. He was given the job, and didn't live up to the message board hype until week 3 of the regular season.

Everybody "knew" he was going to be good. I am glad he worked out, statistically anyways. It would be nice if he could cut down on the dropped balls this year, and maybe mix in a spectacular catch here and there. He caught balls he was supposed to. I will give him he is a very good route runner, but I am not ready to put him in Canton yet.

Stevie Johnson was benched for two games after week three. Roscoe started in his place as the #2 wideout. Stevie still played and managed some nice catches, but after three games, Gailey was very disappointed in him. He was missing routes and assignments, etc. Then he exploded.

I don't think Easley has done enough yet to be #2. He doesn't look ready to me and needs to gain some confidence in his hands. Listening to Fitzpatrick today in his mini-press conference, Fitz absolutely loves Donald Jones, and said he had a better camp all around than any WR, and that included Stevie Johnson (although he didn't mention SJ by name). He just said better than everyone. I was very surprised.

Gailey seems to love him. I don't trust Peter King, but after talking to Gailey and watching practice, King thought Jones was a breakout player (again I wouldn't trust King but he said that after talking with Gailey specifically about Jones).

I still think all of these guys are going to play, and that Roscoe is likely to get the second most passes thrown to him as long as he is healthy. But Jones could surprise. I haven't seen it myself yet though.

I feel better having Jones in there than having Easley in there to start. Jones has a full year in the system and has played a little bit with live bullets. I'm sure there are sight adjusts and hot routes that were never installed in the preseason that these guys will have to diagnose pre-snap. With Easley only having 4 pre-season games under his belt for his career, having him start on the road would be a tall order. Jones is definitely the safer choice for now.

I don't think Easley has done enough yet to be #2. He doesn't look ready to me and needs to gain some confidence in his hands. Listening to Fitzpatrick today in his mini-press conference, Fitz absolutely loves Donald Jones, and said he had a better camp all around than any WR, and that included Stevie Johnson (although he didn't mention SJ by name). He just said better than everyone. I was very surprised.

Every once in a while, through the clatter of preseason a player stands out in conversation. Equally rare when that player gets a chance during the previous season you took notice and said, "Wow this guy could be special if he only got a bigger chance on the field."

I could be very well wrong, but Donald Jones didn't strike me as that player.

Every once in a while, through the clatter of preseason a player stands out in conversation. Equally rare when that player gets a chance during the previous season you took notice and said, "Wow this guy could be special if he only got a bigger chance on the field."

I could be very well wrong, but Donald Jones didn't strike me as that player.

Me neither. Hope we're both wrong.

With all the 4 and 5 wideout sets there's no magic in being #2 (see Lee Evans, 2010). All of them will get their shot and with the talent someone (or 2) will emerge.

Don't forget about Brad Smith from a WR position, and I do think Spiller gets some looks there too. With those guys they really have 8 WRs on the roster. The inactives will be a good tipoff early on, if they keep 2 inactive (Ruvell Martin and 1 other) look for a lot of Spiller and Brad Smith in wideout slots.