Are we suddently strong at LB???

Last year I groaned with heart-rending futility as opposing RBs ran through our defense like a machete through jello.

Have we in just one year transformed our weak LB corps into a strength? While reading Mark Gaughan's article today, I was struck by the quality of LBs who might not even make the 53 man squad:

Linebacker: Gailey kept nine last year. The starters are Shawne Merriman, Chris Kelsay, Andra Davis and Nick Barnett. Alex Carrington could count as a D-lineman or a linebacker, but he has worked at outside 'backer the past three weeks. Danny Batten is a lock outside. Inside men Kirk Morrison, Kelvin Sheppard and Chris White are locks. That's nine players, or eight if you count Carrington as a lineman. Will the Bills make room for either outside man Antonio Coleman or inside man Arthur Moats? Moats does more on special teams. Undrafted rookie Robert Eddins is a prime practice squad candidate.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article541133.ece

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I groaned with heart-rending futility as opposing RBs ran through our defense like a machete through jello.

Have we in just one year transformed our weak LB corps into a strength? While reading Mark Gaughan's article today, I was struck by the quality of LBs who might not even make the 53 man squad:

Linebacker: Gailey kept nine last year. The starters are Shawne Merriman, Chris Kelsay, Andra Davis and Nick Barnett. Alex Carrington could count as a D-lineman or a linebacker, but he has worked at outside 'backer the past three weeks. Danny Batten is a lock outside. Inside men Kirk Morrison, Kelvin Sheppard and Chris White are locks. That's nine players, or eight if you count Carrington as a lineman. Will the Bills make room for either outside man Antonio Coleman or inside man Arthur Moats? Moats does more on special teams. Undrafted rookie Robert Eddins is a prime practice squad candidate.

Idk, ARE we? (sp)

I think we can be hopeful about linebacker, and not the least based on our strengthening the front 3...who are pretty intimidating. You build from the trenches back and if you have a dominant group at the line of scrimmage, everything behind the line of scrimmage gets better.

That goes for offense too. Are you listening Chan?

The way Gailey was talking, Eddins is going to make the team. There's no way they would rave about a player & then try to sneak him onto the practice squad. At least, a competent organization wouldn't do this. If they try, they're going to lose him on waivers.

I normally don't bust on grammar errors...but come one..you have to at least get the title right.

I do really like our LB's this year. Barnett was a great pick up and HUGE improvement over POZ, Davis has looked very good now that he's healthy. Merriman looks like a monster (can he stay healthy?). Carrington looks like he could be a play maker in a situational role.

I like Batten, Eddins and Coleman in the mix as well.

People won't like this, but I think Moats is a long shot to make the team right now. Eddins has looked good, much better than Moats, and could make a run for a roster spot.

Idk, ARE we? (sp)

:oops:

Thanks... I have moments of premature senility and dyslexia, amongst other things... I guess I should proof-read before posting...

I normally don't bust on grammar errors...but come one..you have to at least get the title right.

Come one? Come two? Come all???

Yeah, I get the point but turnabout is fair play.

Moats is getting screwed...period. let him compete at OLB before announcing that he can't. That kid will be a solid NFL backer and apparently won't be for us. He must have done something to p*ss off Chan but it us a huge diservice to the fans and to Moats to be denied an opportunity to compete.

Edited by Green Lightning

Moats is getting screwed...period. let him compete at OLB before announcing that he can't. That kid will be a solid NFL backer and apparently won't be for us. He must have done something to p*ss off Chan but it us a huge diservice to the fans and to Moats to be denied an opportunity to compete.

I agree. Put him in a position to succeed not in a position like they did with Maybin.

Crazy to think that it looks like moats may be the guy cut. I wouldn't say white is a lock to make the team either. I could see 2 of the 3 getting the axe (moats, white, Coleman). I too, think eddins has earned a spot, even if he was playing vs 2nd and 3rd stringers. He's a gamer and I think he'll get some pt this year.

I love the Morrison signing , very good pick up.

Barnett was a good signing to. They certainly look bigger on the field then last year.

Danny Batten has surprised me. He looks like a good draft pick by Buddy.

Buddy also may have lucked out on Merriman.

Not sold on Carrington at LB but he is turning the corner on being another good pick.

We haven't even see Sheppard yet.

so yea I say we are much improved on D . Moats maybe the guy out. I think they like White more than him at inside.

I'm wondering why they are messing with Moats. I know he splashed last year, but is he a liability in the run game? What did he do wrong? It has to be something.

I posted yesterday in the "surprise cuts" thread that I fully expect any surprises to come out of this group. I also don't know why folks are acting as though Arthur Moats is the second coming of LT and has been "screwed" by the coaching staff. If we've seen anything out of this staff, it's that they are trying to put guys in the right position and won't force round pegs into square holes. Maybe Moats just isn't good enough.

White is a lock to do one thing, get cut, and most likely make the practice squad.

I just don't understand the emotional attachment to Moats. He was a late round pick, that got some playing time last year...made some nice plays, made a lot of bad plays, didn't look all that great to me. Batten, Coleman, and Eddins all look much better IMO.

With those guys, and Morrison and Sheppard (despite being injured all preseason) in the middle, Moats is on the outside looking in. White never really had a chance, but he should be safe on practice squad and get a shot next year.

I posted yesterday in the "surprise cuts" thread that I fully expect any surprises to come out of this group. I also don't know why folks are acting as though Arthur Moats is the second coming of LT and has been "screwed" by the coaching staff. If we've seen anything out of this staff, it's that they are trying to put guys in the right position and won't force round pegs into square holes. Maybe Moats just isn't good enough.

Well said sir

Edited by Turbosrrgood

We'll we won't know because he wasn't allowed to play his natural NFL position because of some arbitrary height requirement. BS. If he "ain't good enough " let him do or die on the field and not in a position where he is set up to fail. P*ss poor job of coaching on this matter.

I hesitate to say it is a strength until we see the performance of this corps in the regular season games. Sure, we have a lot more LBs many of who look great on paper and some in the preseason games. But let us see how much and where our D has improved before we say that this is an area of strength. Looks like right now, we over compensated on the LB side at the expense of some other need areas. But judgment needs to be reserved till atleast the mid point of the season.

Why is Chris White a lock?

I agree - hasnt he been hurt and not played much? He could be a PS canidate with limited exposure. Same with Eddins if we choose. I would hate to see Moats get cut, he will go on to success on another team no doubt. Add him to the 'Greer' list.