Who do you pick as next owner of the Bills and why?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see a group of people as the next owners. I think Kelly, Thomas, and even Steve Tasker,etc all have roots in Buffalo now. They are partial to the organization. They with the help of a few investors will try to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Of course we dont live in a perfect world. Shame they have a chance of moving out of here after Ralphs D-Day.......

Golisano might be worse than Ralph. See the Sabres pre-Pegula. The idea of Larry Quinn running the Bills makes me nauseous.

PTR

Larry Quinn is the Tom Modrak of the the Bills...the effort is there, but not the results.

NFL won't allow that kind of ownership, one person has to hold a majority ownership of a franchise. You don't want Golisano, he might get the distinction of being the only person cheaper then Ralph because its all about teh bottom line for him. pegula only bought the Sabres because he is a huge hockey fan, his interest in football at this point is unknown. I don't see Rogers being interested unless its for a team in Toronto, or theres a deal for them to play games in toronto. They are a Canadian company, can't see them investing in an American team

The principal owner of an NFL team only has to hold 35% ownership in that team. It could easily be a group of local investors with a couple guys having substantial percentages and a few guys with lesser amounts.

Golisano might be worse than Ralph. See the Sabres pre-Pegula

Golisano was focused on making money, as the NHL cap went up it became harder to do. In the NFL he can spend to the cap and still line his pockets.

Golisano might be worse than Ralph. See the Sabres pre-Pegula. The idea of Larry Quinn running the Bills makes me nauseous.

PTR

I think it's unfair to make that comparison. Golisano's edict to Quinn and Regier was to "break even". He didn't want to lose money on the team. If that same edict were put on the Bills, would we would spending 10-20 million more per season on contracts.

I don't automatically think that if Golisano were to own the Bills he would have that same edict, perhaps he would want to make some money because it is so much easier to make money as an NFL owner than an NHL guy. But it's just wrong to say that he might be worse than Ralph. If Quinn's job to to run the Bills and just break even, the Bills would be on a wild spending spree.

Here's a chart from Forbes magazine. For each of 15 people, it shows their net worth, age, residence and the source of their money. All but one are billionaires, so each of them ought to be able to come up with at least enough cash to become the minimum 30% leader of any NFL ownership group.

Whether you think highly or poorly of Ralph Wilson, he's about 92 years old, and won't be around forever. Which of these 15 people would you most like to see as the next owner of the Buffalo Bills, and why?

My personal choice would be Mr. Howell (#9 on the list). He's not the richest, but he lives a long way from Buffalo, and might meddle less with how his football men run the operation. But reasonable people could differ about this. If Ralph walked up to you and said - - "I'm gonna put the future of the Buffalo Bills in your hands and let you pick the next owner of the team from this list" - - who would you choose?

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/fictional/Worth.html

And before you flame me, there's nobody from Toronto on the list!

Pegula, because we deserve it.

The link took forever to come up, so I thought it was legit. What the hell Dead if you are going put up something like this make sure it it is real next time :oops::doh:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I think it's unfair to make that comparison. Golisano's edict to Quinn and Regier was to "break even". He didn't want to lose money on the team. If that same edict were put on the Bills, would we would spending 10-20 million more per season on contracts.

I don't automatically think that if Golisano were to own the Bills he would have that same edict, perhaps he would want to make some money because it is so much easier to make money as an NFL owner than an NHL guy. But it's just wrong to say that he might be worse than Ralph. If Quinn's job to to run the Bills and just break even, the Bills would be on a wild spending spree.

You forget about spending on coaches, scouting, etc that do not come under the cap. That is where Ralph's cheapness shines through. The Sabres spent to the cap as well, but they also replaced their scouting department with YouTube!

You should be careful what you wish for.

PTR

You forget about spending on coaches, scouting, etc that do not come under the cap. That is where Ralph's cheapness shines through. The Sabres spent to the cap as well, but they also replaced their scouting department with YouTube!

You should be careful what you wish for.

PTR

The resident president of the RW fan club has spoken. Begone, peasants! back to the fields!

>.>

Really? Could there BE any worse of an ownership situation for the Bills?

okay, how about Danny Wegman or whatever group Kelly et al can put together? Some people think the the bills will leave town, but there are too many other teams that have a bad economic situation that would likely improve in a different location.

As far as the Bills winning a SB...yeah it would have been the greatest, but the fact that they went 4 years in a row has galvanized (older) fan support and made OBD marketing a lot easier (Bills marketing: "we were on the brink, but this year we have that missing link in place - so buy your season ticket now").

oh my dear god if Wegmans and the Bills were to fuse into one, I would spend my life trying to find a way to have sex with it.

I'd love to see a group of owners who are prominent business guys with WNY ties....Like the Rich family, Pegula, Golisano...etc...etc...even having the Rogers family involved would'nt hurt-- where each would own an equal share of the team with the lone goal of winning a championship!

One owner must own at least 30% of the team.

My money is on Jeremy Gundlach. But here is the problem I see: L.A. interests will drive up the price on the Bills. The Bills, on paper, are worth about $800M. But if you want a team in L.A. you have no problem paying $1.2-1.3B because the Bills in L.A. are worth that much more. So anyone bidding to keep the Bills in Buffalo will have to overpay by hundreds of millions.

PTR

If Ralph died tomorrow and the Bills went up for sale, there is simply no way they would go for "$1.2-1.3B". That would make them the most expensive sports franchise in history, which is ridiculous. They would be lucky to get much more than $800 million.

okay, how about Danny Wegman or whatever group Kelly et al can put together? Some people think the the bills will leave town, but there are too many other teams that have a bad economic situation that would likely improve in a different location.

Wegman doesn't have that money. Brandon Screwed that realationship already anyway.

oh my dear god if Wegmans and the Bills were to fuse into one, I would spend my life trying to find a way to have sex with it.

Rarely do I "lol" but this seriously made me laugh until I caught my breath... thank you my friend!

I would love wegmans to own the bills maybe I could get a wegmans sub at the game and a beef on weck at wegmans!

My money is on Jeremy Gundlach. But here is the problem I see: L.A. interests will drive up the price on the Bills. The Bills, on paper, are worth about $800M. But if you want a team in L.A. you have no problem paying $1.2-1.3B because the Bills in L.A. are worth that much more. So anyone bidding to keep the Bills in Buffalo will have to overpay by hundreds of millions.

I have a theory on Terry Pegula as well. He looks like he's throwing crazy money at the Sabres but he's actually setting them up for when they are Buffalo's only pro franchise.

Stop and consider all the ad revenue the Bills generate. It's probably not that much by NFL standards but huge money to an NHL team. Now if the Bills left town, all that revenue suddenly becomes available. What better place to spend it than on a local team that is a championship contender?

If the Bills left the Sabres would become a very profitable team.

PTR

Man I cannot wait to see the new Sabres on the ice this year. We should have one heck of a team.

What will the Bills brass do if a first year owner with a commitment to winning brings B-Lo a championship?? Would Pegula consider going into the Kelly business consortium to be a majority owner of the Bills. Not a bad scenario to imagine.

Money does not buy championships, but I do believe that a commitment to winning and a willingness to spend the money to get there doesn't hurt your chances.