NFLN reports Vick signs 6 year $100M extension

Beerball

What if he wins a Super Bowl for Philly? A city without one??

That almost certainly will not happen. If it did, it cost them, per QB, far mmore than Pitt or NE paid for theirs.

They really had no other play here. I can't imagine he'll be good in his late 30s which is on the table here- but you never know where the "outs" will be built in for Philly. If they can escape harm free in 4 years, at 50-60m in.... Not that bad.

That would put him amongst the most highly paid QBs in the league right now. He's not in the top 3 right now and he's less likely to be in that category 3 or 4 years from now.

Great news. So glad to see him turn his life around. 2 years ago nobody would spit on him and now he seems to have a bright future. Always great to see stories like this. What saddens me is those out there that continue to espouse hate. Specifically, the idiot above who hopes he blows out his knee. That type of sickening attitude is a bit scary in today's world. Who thinks like that?

The deal is a good one for Philly. Its not 100 million dollars--its 40 million. Not a bad investment given what Vick is capable of doing. He continues to grow under Reid and who knows how much better he can get. The key will be keeping him healthy though but even 12 games a year is a good deal for that money.

The serious criticism has nothing to do with his criminal past, it has to do with a guy who takes a beating, is tiny and who started to flicker a the tail end of the season. It would have made more sense to see if he completes this season with high success before awarding such an over hte top contract. Would a "bidding war" at the end of such a season have cost the Eagles much more than $40/100 million. Doubt it.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tagging would guarantee Vick a salary 110% of the previous one every year or the average of the top five QB's whichever is greater. I think that rout would be much more expensive that signing him him to that deal. Year one 16.5, year two 18.15, year three 20, year four 22, after four years it would $76.5 million roughly, and I think the way his deal is now it is pretty much four years 60 million.

I don't wish the guy failure or success. And I'm not really a dog lover. I just can't really get behind a guy who got his kicks torturing and killing animals. Sure he did his time and has behaved himself, and that's great, but if he hadn't gotten in trouble does anyone think he wouldn't be doing the same thing now? I'm all for giving a guy another chance but he's got 100 million reasons to be a "model citizen", so while I'm glad he's keeping his nose clean, I won't be getting the warm fuzzies for this a-hole any time soon.

:thumbsup: Pretty much this. It's pretty irritating, hearing the same canned condescending remarks when anyone mentions they don't like the guy: "Oh you must've never made a mistake" or "oh you must value dogs more than people" or "oh you must be some Peta tree hugger freak".

Actually it's none of the above - I just think the guy sucks and is scum. At least he was. I hope he's not anymore. If he isn't then good for him. But I have no real way of knowing that he's a changed man other than that's what the media tells me, which they frankly never would've done in the first place if he didn't play at an mvp level last year.

As for the contract, I don't really expect last yr's level of play to be sustained based on his erratic body of work in ATL, but Philly is not a clueless organization so we'll see.

Edited by BuffOrange

So where did this guy pay his dues? Our legal system is the biggest JOKE.

Um, he did several YEARS in jail and lost about $100 Million in salary and other earnings?

Whether or not he went on to earn that kind of money again late, still doesnt give back what he lost.

Um, he did several YEARS in jail and lost about $100 Million in salary and other earnings?

Whether or not he went on to earn that kind of money again late, still doesnt give back what he lost.

Vick was in jail for 21 months, not several years. Not commenting on the sentence, just pointing that out.

Would a "bidding war" at the end of such a season have cost the Eagles much more than $40/100 million. Doubt it.

You're forgetting that Jackson is in the last year of his deal. By signing Vick now they can use the tag on Jackson next year. Which will save them money for a year even with Vick's salary. Then, they can resign Jackson to a long term deal (if he warrants it) the next season when half of Vick's money is already off the books.

It's a smart move by the front office of the Eagles. It's only 40 million guaranteed. It gives them flexibility to keep their own star players next year. There's no down side here even if Vick flames out this year. It's not going to kill their cap or their team.

If he doesn't live up to the contract, does the team owner get to shove him head first into a bucket of water and drown him...Maybe electrocute him instead?

As long as he's willing to do the time and is strong enough to overpower Vick, yes.

How can anyone forgive a dog killer???? That's unforgivable.....now if he had only done something minor like fathered 7 children with 6 different women, then skipped out on all the child support payments, then every team with the blessings of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy would be able to fight over the right to offer $100 Million contract....but a dog killer.....what is this world coming to?????

Actually a lot of that money he "lost" was funneled to family members. It's always interesting how a person can declare bankruptcy but still drive a $100K car and live in a house we can only dream of. He still hasn't payed for the care delivered to the people who rehabilitated his dogs. Read the book The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant.

As for him already paying his debt to society, he only repaid the debt dealt to him by our legal system. Even then, he did not serve his full sentence. Doing jail time does not mean we need to lower our social values and mores and accept him.

How can anyone forgive a dog killer???? That's unforgivable.....now if he had only done something minor like fathered 7 children with 6 different women, then skipped out on all the child support payments, then every team with the blessings of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy would be able to fight over the right to offer $100 Million contract....but a dog killer.....what is this world coming to?????

Your sarcasm does not pass me by. Nice work.

So what happened where evryone was up in arms that Vick was directed away from Buffalo. Or is this just the flavor of the week? :rolleyes:

Its not about whether we wanted Vick or not, it's the fact that the Commissioner was dictating/influencing where a Free Agent went. It doesnt matter who that player was.

As far as Vick and his new contract goes...

I rescue Pitbulls. Im on my 3rd and she is my baby. I volunteer with a couple of Pit/Dog Rescues as well. When the news broke, I was digusted with Vick. I loathed him, and I rarely "hate" people Ive never met. But I dont need to know him to hate him for what he did. I still do not believe that Vick is "sorry" for what he did, he's just sorry he got caught. Furthermore, I thought it was a slap in the face to every Fan of football, and everyone else involved in the NFL, that he would take the $100mil given to him by his Owner (and fans) and use it in an illegal venture.

Needless to say, my opinion of Vick over the years has been very low.

That all being said, I believe he has paid (and is still paying) his debt to society. He lost almost everything. Not just money, but friends and family, as everyone (even his own mother) testified against him to save their own hide.

I say he is still paying because 40% of his paychecks from this new contract will be garnished and sent to his creditors. I just heard on ESPN that if he makes $15mil/year, his debts will be paid off in 4 years. So he is still being taught a lesson.

With all of that, Im moving on and letting him live his life. He seems truly dedicated to the game and has earned this contract with the Eagles. I get sick to my stomach thinking about what he did, but the past is the past, and we all need to move forward.

Its not about whether we wanted Vick or not, it's the fact that the Commissioner was dictating/influencing where a Free Agent went. It doesnt matter who that player was.

As far as Vick and his new contract goes...

I rescue Pitbulls. Im on my 3rd and she is my baby. I volunteer with a couple of Pit/Dog Rescues as well. When the news broke, I was digusted with Vick. I loathed him, and I rarely "hate" people Ive never met. But I dont need to know him to hate him for what he did. I still do not believe that Vick is "sorry" for what he did, he's just sorry he got caught. Furthermore, I thought it was a slap in the face to every Fan of football, and everyone else involved in the NFL, that he would take the $100mil given to him by his Owner (and fans) and use it in an illegal venture.

Needless to say, my opinion of Vick over the years has been very low.

That all being said, I believe he has paid (and is still paying) his debt to society. He lost almost everything. Not just money, but friends and family, as everyone (even his own mother) testified against him to save their own hide.

I say he is still paying because 40% of his paychecks from this new contract will be garnished and sent to his creditors. I just heard on ESPN that if he makes $15mil/year, his debts will be paid off in 4 years. So he is still being taught a lesson.

With all of that, Im moving on and letting him live his life. He seems truly dedicated to the game and has earned this contract with the Eagles. I get sick to my stomach thinking about what he did, but the past is the past, and we all need to move forward.

This + 1,000,000,000 :worthy::thumbsup:

Awesome - Chapter 1, Page 1 of the Vick apologist handbook. Bring up stuff other athletes have done to marginalize dog murdering. How cute and original.

Awesome - Chapter 1, Page 1 of the Vick apologist handbook. Bring up stuff other athletes have done to marginalize dog murdering. How cute and original.

Not just what other athletes have done.....But what other athletes have done without repercussions of any kind!! So I guess you would say that hurting dogs is punishable by suspension and prison time, but hurting children is deserving of nothing...It's good to see your priorities align nicely with the NFL....maybe you should be the next commish.....

BTW - I believe Vick deserved what he got....but I guess Antonio Cromarte and others of his ilk should just continue to get a pass....after all, it's their private life....no personal conduct issues here!!