"Make Mom Proud"

So they want a "FAMILY" Environment, then can we at least get some rides at the stadium, I mean one of those giant slides from the fair, maybe a Ferris wheel. A row of vendors for Games, maybe some pony rides.

Rad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article535666.ece

"This is a family event, so watch your mouth, or you'll catch a whole lot of heck."

I've never been a big fan of the way a lot of people act at games. On the other hand, I don't necessarily think that a NFL game needs to be a family-friendly event; in my mind, it's a place for grownups to blow off steam, like a rock concert is. I wouldn't have taken a 10-year-old to see Alice Cooper last night; why should a football game be different? (And more kids will grow up to make at least some money playing music than will grow up to make at least some money playing sports, so the "role model" argument doesn't work for me.)

I'm more concerned about grownups staying out of fights and car accidents than I am about making the stadium a nice place for children.

I went to my first game at 12, and it makes me sad to think that today some parents might not take their kids because other people don't know how to behave. It makes me even sadder that there are people who don't think pro sports need to be kid friendly. Believe me, if I didn't go to those games at 12, I wouldn't be nearly as invested in this team as I am today.

Edit: I'm not saying you have to behave as if you were in church. I don't mind crude language as long as it's not directed at anyone in particular. But there's no excuse for drinking to the point of sickness, fighting, etc....

Edited by Captain Caveman

I disagree. If we can't expect a pro sports event to be family-friendly, then the country is sliding further and faster than I thought.

Amen !! Ignorance these days just seems to be part of the normal way of life , so trying to make a sporting event a decent experience for the family will be an uphill battle but because Buffalo is still way ahead of L.A. , NYC or San Fran , in the morals depart the people in control will try to make it a good experience for all .

GO BUFFALO ---- GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!

"This is a family event, so watch your mouth, or you'll catch a whole lot of heck."

I've never been a big fan of the way a lot of people act at games. On the other hand, I don't necessarily think that a NFL game needs to be a family-friendly event; in my mind, it's a place for grownups to blow off steam, like a rock concert is. I wouldn't have taken a 10-year-old to see Alice Cooper last night; why should a football game be different? (And more kids will grow up to make at least some money playing music than will grow up to make at least some money playing sports, so the "role model" argument doesn't work for me.)

I'm more concerned about grownups staying out of fights and car accidents than I am about making the stadium a nice place for children.

You may want to get this rant deletedd as you are going to get a rash of stuff here. I fully disagree with all you have said except the A Alice Cooper thing. This is why at the college level they cut off the drinks at 1/2 time. Because it is a family event. Kids look back at these family trips and remember alot more than people like you that think it is all about getting loaded and dump beer on the apposing fans head. Just saying ! If the grownups get into fights and car accedents because they are too drunk to control themselves then they deserve the things they get. But an improving society depends on the children seeing an example from responsible adults and learning from them. If you can't control yourself and think that is OK than stay home, get drunk and smash your own furnature and leave the stadium to the more responsible people :P

You may want to get this rant deletedd as you are going to get a rash of stuff here. I fully disagree with all you have said except the A Alice Cooper thing. This is why at the college level they cut off the drinks at 1/2 time. Because it is a family event. Kids look back at these family trips and remember alot more than people like you that think it is all about getting loaded and dump beer on the apposing fans head. Just saying ! If the grownups get into fights and car accedents because they are too drunk to control themselves then they deserve the things they get. But an improving society depends on the children seeing an example from responsible adults and learning from them. If you can't control yourself and think that is OK than stay home, get drunk and smash your own furnature and leave the stadium to the more responsible people :P

It's not a rant; if you read through the thread you'll see that most people are being pretty reasonable, and I'm not worried about disagreement anyway (that's why I started the thread--I already knew my own opinion, I wanted to see others). And they cut off the drinks at the PRO level at halftime; most college stadiums don't sell beer at all (although a few do).

Also--I'm a person who thinks "it is all about getting loaded and dump [sic] beer on the apposing [sic] fans head?" I don't think so. Did you read what I wrote? "I'm not a big fan of the way a lot of people act at games."

Edited by Offsides Number 76

I am totally with you on this. Preventing fights and car accidents has a far greater impact on families than simple rowdiness and profanity a game. I treat going to the Bills games as a Pantera show without the mosh pits.

The same should apply to the Bills front office when building a roster and investing some money into the roster. After all, my mom is a Bills fan, and has been pretty sick to her stomach at their roster over say, the decade or so.

Hey Ralph, "Make Mom Proud"

So they want a "FAMILY" Environment, then can we at least get some rides at the stadium, I mean one of those giant slides from the fair, maybe a Ferris wheel. A row of vendors for Games, maybe some pony rides.

Rad

Or maybe just put a Chuck E. Cheese inside the stadium.

I've never been a big fan of the way a lot of people act at games. On the other hand, I don't necessarily think that a NFL game needs to be a family-friendly event; in my mind, it's a place for grownups to blow off steam, like a rock concert is.

I have an (under 10) daughter. I won't take her to a game for similar reasons others have posted. But why should a sporting event be a reason to blow off steam? Fan behavior seems to sliding into the abyss. No one is proud of the behavior of baseball fans in California. And that's BASEBALL for gods sake. I think it should be fan friendly. Not like going to church. But similar behavior to a high school football game.

Enjoy the game, bond with your kids, and please drive home safely.

To me anyway, you can still blow off steam without being a barbarian about it. I like to think that no matter how many parking lot pops i have had before the game, I still am cognizant enough to not start screaming obscenities if there is a family in front of me.... at least hard core language anyway. Of course when you get 73,000 people together for anything it can get dicey, but it's definitely not a license to do whatever you want.

My 8 year old wants to go to a game. I told her there's no way she's going until she's at least 15.

I have an (under 10) daughter. I won't take her to a game for similar reasons others have posted. But why should a sporting event be a reason to blow off steam? Fan behavior seems to sliding into the abyss. No one is proud of the behavior of baseball fans in California. And that's BASEBALL for gods sake. I think it should be fan friendly. Not like going to church. But similar behavior to a high school football game.

Because grownups have very few venues where it is acceptable to scream and shout, and blowing off steam is important. Sporting events and concerts are the only two that come to my mind. That doesn't mean that fighting is acceptable. Some loudness, some unruliness, someone screaming "f**k yeah" at the top of their lungs after a touchdown? Fine by me.

I don't think the behavior at a pro game needs to be like behavior at a high school game. Not at all. Last time I went to a high school game I was worried because I had two drinks, with some other alums, before the game; I didn't want kids at the game smelling the alcohol. I don't worry about two drinks before a Bills game. There's no way I'd look across the field at some 16-year-old playing for the opponent and call him a name--even a name that doesn't use foul language. I don't feel the same way at all about pro sports. If I want to call Albert Haynesworth an a-hole, I will; if I'm considering a 16-year-old who acts like him, I'm more likely to say something like "wow, someone needs to get to that kid before he turns into Albert Haynesworth."

After some more consideration, I'm wondering if I have higher standards for what is "family friendly" than most; i.e., if I'm a little paranoid. Maybe it comes from having lived a few years in the Bible Belt. I'm definitely not advocating violence or drunkenness; I'm saying that a pro game is a place where grownups go to have some fun, and when your child is ready to understand the distinction between how we act at a football game versus how we act in other situations, well, that's when he or she is ready to go.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Let's all grab our tea cups and blankets and go to a football game!