** HURRICANE PREPARATION: NEED ADVICE **

truth on hold

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my only concern is that my parking spot is right under some very large trees. I just moved to a new apartment but still have access to my old marking spot. I'm tempted to park at that one since it's on higher ground and there are no trees.

A coworker just mentioned that he's driving to Trenton Saturday, coming back Saturday night.

:lol:

Yeah, they're only shutting down the trains. I'm sure you'll do just fine in your dinky little subcompact on that crappy two-lane road into Trenton.

Maybe you can go over to T-Bone's house, where you can bunk together.

As long as they sleep pole to pole or hole to hole, they should be fine.

Avoid any pole to hole positioning with a nervous T-Bone in the rack!

Lots of good advice already posted, and i'll add...

Since you're in an apartment and probably don't/can't have a gas grill, but you have a roof deck, it might be wise to pick up a cheap charcoal grill and a few bags of charcoal. When the storm passes, if power is out for a few days, it will come in handy to cook on. When Dennis rolled through here (florida) in 2005, we had the grill, a bunch of food and drinks, and cigars. Since we were without power, we sat on the porch eating/drinking all day long.

Edited by Ramius

A coworker just mentioned that he's driving to Trenton Saturday, coming back Saturday night.

:lol:

Yeah, they're only shutting down the trains. I'm sure you'll do just fine in your dinky little subcompact on that crappy two-lane road into Trenton.

to be fair! trains are not shut down DC to NYC, only south of DC. In really cannot see much impact in DC outside of Southern MD. Should be on the far west of the storm, maybe a couple inches of rain.

As long as they sleep pole to pole or hole to hole, they should be fine.

Avoid any pole to hole positioning with a nervous T-Bone in the rack!

T-Bone's place is probably empty; he's probably hiding at his mom's.

to be fair! trains are not shut down DC to NYC, only south of DC. In really cannot see much impact in DC outside of Southern MD. Should be on the far west of the storm, maybe a couple inches of rain.

Really? I thought I heard Amtrak shut down the DC-NYC line.

At any rate...still stupid. DC might be on the far west...Trenton's going to be quite a bit closer.

And now I have to go home and get some sandbags set up...even the 1-2" of rain they're calling for is enough to cause me issues, living in a flash flood zone.

T-Bone's place is probably empty; he's probably hiding at his mom's.

Really? I thought I heard Amtrak shut down the DC-NYC line.

At any rate...still stupid. DC might be on the far west...Trenton's going to be quite a bit closer.

And now I have to go home and get some sandbags set up...even the 1-2" of rain they're calling for is enough to cause me issues, living in a flash flood zone.

On that we agree..idiotic actually!!!! To be fair, I am in DC tonight and driving back to Richmond tomorrow, so I am a little idiotic as well :thumbsup:

Edited by plenzmd1

On that we agree..idiotic actually!!!! To be fair, I am in DC tonight and driving back to Richmond tomorrow, so I am a little idiotic as well :thumbsup:

Speaking of idiotic how reckless is It for jets giants to play tomorrow starting at 2 in the meadowlands. NYC and NJ shores are being mandatorily evacuated, public transportation is shutting down at noon and the gov said the entire state of nj could be devastated

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Speaking of idiotic how reckless is It for jets giants to play tomorrow starting at 2 in the meadowlands. NYC and NJ shores are being mandatorily evacuated, public transportation is shutting down at noon and the gov said the entire state of nj could be devastated

We all know what Snooki is capable of from one passing of gas, but the hurricane is what we need to be talking about...

What about taping inside of windows to brace them and I guess minimize flying glass if they break

I was watching Weather channel and they said it is pointless to tape the windows. Boarding them is the only way to keep them from blowing out. We were talking about it at work, as well. A few people have beach houses and have seen windows blow out from wind and rain. If nothing else, take a mattress and put it against any large windows you may be near.

As far as leaving windows open - didn't they debunk that back in the 90's with tornado's? It only did more damage then was worth?

What do you all think about the advice some give of leaving windows partially open to take pressure off them so they won't break?

That's retarded. It's not pressure differential that would break windows in a hurricane, it's the pressure of the wind on the glass. Partially opening the window doesn't change that. Someone's confusing tornadoes and hurricanes.

And it takes about a 150mph wind to reliably break glass (I know the internet says 80. The internet's wrong.) Wind does, however, carry debris. But opening your windows to keep them from breaking is one of the stupider suggestions I've heard today.