Wood to center is a mistake!!It can be fixed before the opener

Lenigmusx

I think moving Wood to center has weakened the line alot. Although he is better at the point of attack (in theory) he seems to be much worse at making the line calls. This also seems to be hindering his abililty to just play football. I think shifting the interior of our line back to Wood Hangman and Levitre would do alot to stabilize things right now. Bell was awful last night and against a player that frankly reminds me of Maybin. Pears was equally bad and so was Chandler. They did not read any of Denvers Blitz packages and its sad when Freedy Jackson made the best block of the night. That said I think shifting the interior line back and picking up a free agent tackle (anyone at this point) would make the line OK. Last Night was absolutely awful though.

I think moving Wood to center has weakened the line alot. Although he is better at the point of attack (in theory) he seems to be much worse at making the line calls. This also seems to be hindering his abililty to just play football. I think shifting the interior of our line back to Wood Hangman and Levitre would do alot to stabilize things right now. Bell was awful last night and against a player that frankly reminds me of Maybin. Pears was equally bad and so was Chandler. They did not read any of Denvers Blitz packages and its sad when Freedy Jackson made the best block of the night. That said I think shifting the interior line back and picking up a free agent tackle (anyone at this point) would make the line OK. Last Night was absolutely awful though.

Very impressed with this observation. Clearly you're an insider since from TV land you couldn't possibly know a) what Wood called on each play b) that his call was executed properly by the line but it put them in the wrong positions and c) that making calls is hindering his ability to play.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Very impressed with this observation. Clearly you're an insider since from TV land you couldn't possibly know a) what Wood called on each play b) that his call was executed properly by the line but it put them in the wrong positions and c) that making calls is hindering his ability to play.

Regardless of whether or not his assumptions are correct, the pressure came up from the middle just as much as it did from the outsides. Not good.

Something is wrong in the middle, not sure if it is the line calls but something is wrong and the play has degraded.

Levtre-Hang-Wood looked better at this point last year then Levitre-Wood-Urbik and Wood was not even healthy.

Levitre is getting the heat from Gailey but the RG looks even worse.

Both tackles are suspect but everyone knows that except for Buddy and Ralph.

Edited by Bob in STL

No I am not an insider but I am a former Left Tackle and I have a very good understanding of Blitz pick up and O line calls. It was clear that the oline was not recognizing Blitz packages last night and that players were reading the wrong directions on passing plays putting them out of position to carry out their blocking assignments. If players are out of position on plays they are either:

A. Bad and not executing assignments

B. Incorrectly reading the defense putting them out of position

It seem to me that although Hangartner was weak at the point of attack last year he was very good at making the correct line calls and getting the other linemen into good positions. I think Wood may be struggling with this and a move back to Guard could strengthen the line for now. It is clear the line needs help

I dont know exactly what the olines problems are but Wood was a stud at center when moved there last season

He costs money.

Could it possibly be that maybe he is old and broken down, too? Just because a guy was formerly

a great player doesn't mean that he will be good forever. It is pretty evident that none of the teams

in the league are jumping to bring him in and this is with 90 guys on each roster.

No I am not an insider but I am a former Left Tackle and I have a very good understanding of Blitz pick up and O line calls. It was clear that the oline was not recognizing Blitz packages last night and that players were reading the wrong directions on passing plays putting them out of position to carry out their blocking assignments. If players are out of position on plays they are either:

A. Bad and not executing assignments

B. Incorrectly reading the defense putting them out of position

It seem to me that although Hangartner was weak at the point of attack last year he was very good at making the correct line calls and getting the other linemen into good positions. I think Wood may be struggling with this and a move back to Guard could strengthen the line for now. It is clear the line needs help

How long did it take for them to figure out that Kelsay was atrocious playing in coverage? (I think you're on to something by the way. The offense has been regressing ever since Hangartner went down last year.)

How long did it take for them to figure out that Kelsay was atrocious playing in coverage? (I think you're on to something by the way. The offense has been regressing ever since Hangartner went down last year.)

could it be the free agents brought in at mid-season that where forced into the lineup to the right of him?

Edited by BILLriant

They had Kelsay dropping back in coverage a TON last night. I doubt we see too much of that in season. He is lost out there.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with the OP, however, Gailey did say in his post game presser they ran just basic blocking packages last night. He wanted to evaluate everyone doing the same assignments. So, it's not a question of O-line calls, it's a question of who is good and who is bad. IMO, with the exception of Wood, the entire line is a combination of reserves and practice squad players. Wood, regardless of where he is, is the least of the worries on the line. That said, I believe moving Wood back to RG and Hang to center would help but not significantly.

I still do not understand the need for the uninformed to bash Pears at every turn.....go back and WATCH the games....Pears has been solid. We have ranted and raved about changing RT so much that now it is just accepted no matter what.

The fact is if you watch Pears he is DOING HIS JOB.....he is not dominating anyone in particular but he is also not getting beat on the pass rush.....the pressure is not coming from his assignments.

The problem is Urbik and now the unsettled LG position which is just bizarre to me.....Levitre solidified his position if they wanted to give Rhinehard "a chance to start because he has worked so hard in camp" then it should be at Urbik's position who continues to struggle.

What they should do is bring in a veteran RG (maybe even two OL) and dump Wrotto and Howard. Behind our first OL unit we are absolutely atrocious.

Levtre-Hang-Wood looked better at this point last year then Levitre-Wood-Urbik and Wood was not even healthy.

My thoughts exactly. The Bills were actually in the top half of the league last year in terms of sacks given up - 34 compared to 56 by the Bears. While Wood played well at C at the end of the season, you've got to think that some of the problems this preseason stem from the fact that, once again, someone's messing with the chemistry. While they weren't stellar last year, they were not really a cause for major concern, so why go and fiddle with it when you've got so much else to take care of? Hangartner may not be phenomenal, but with Wood at RG they made a relatively solid middle line.