Conan tanking

PromoTheRobot

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903639404576514691273411486.html?mod=dist_smartbrief

Just last year folks were ragging on NBC for going back to Leno. I'm surprised Kimmel does so badly. I love him. Leno is boring and Letterman, well he's just painful to watch these days.

PTR

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903639404576514691273411486.html?mod=dist_smartbrief

Just last year folks were ragging on NBC for going back to Leno. I'm surprised Kimmel does so badly. I love him. Leno is boring and Letterman, well he's just painful to watch these days.

PTR

To each his own, but shows of that persuasion are just becoming more and more irrelevant. When the baby boomers get too old to stay up past 9, they'll disappear entirely.

To each his own, but shows of that persuasion are just becoming more and more irrelevant. When the baby boomers get too old to stay up past 9, they'll disappear entirely.

The problem with these shows is that they are set up so that the shows are all about the host, with the guests being secondary.

Look at the old Carson stuff - he used to make the guests the stars of the show, rather than himself.

Being born 8 days before the end of the baby boom I resent the 9:00 reference ..... Though my wife complains that I am asleep on the couch by 9:30 most nights :lol:

Being born 8 days before the end of the baby boom I resent the 9:00 reference ..... Though my wife complains that I am asleep on the couch by 9:30 most nights :lol:

:P

It's true though. I don't know if I've spoken to a single member of my generation who watches the talk/variety shows with regularity. Then again, I wonder what the networks could put on at 11:30 PM that people actually WOULD watch?

It's true though. I don't know if I've spoken to a single member of my generation who watches the talk/variety shows with regularity. Then again, I wonder what the networks could put on at 11:30 PM that people actually WOULD watch?

I've started DVRing Letterman, Ferguson and Conan this week (finally got a DVR). I'll watch them when I can't find anything on. And I'm not so sure how much the age thing factors into these things. I'm home most of the time when these show are on, but I don't feel like staying up to watch any of them.

I think Kimmel is pretty damn funny most of the time...I liked his show a little more, before he started getting A-list guests, and dealt mostly with smaller name guests...

As for Conan, I think he is really funny, but is just (still) after all these years just hard to watch, once the interview part of his show starts...

I still have some loyalty to Letterman, cuz coming up when I did, he raised the stakes on edgier late-nite fair...I used to like Leno, when he was a guest on Letterman's show...as host of the Tonight show, he is horrible...

Jimmy Fallon dces great music stuff (his Neal Young parody is maybe the best imitation of anyone I have ever seen anyone do, period) but, like Conan, he is just painful, for me, to watch when doing the traditional "interview" thing. Can't say that I have seen Ferguson much...when I do, I kind of feel like he talks too much, and does a little too much mugging into the camera...not my cup of tea, though I know many think he is the best....

Wow... Sage... I can't really comment on this but it got me thinking... You were 14 when I registered on this board! Yikes... That is as old as my son is now! Shiest! Where did the time go!

:ph34r:

I think it's a viable slot but I think the formatting needs to evolve some. Our generation would probably go for an hour long version of the daily show-esque product there. Stewart and Colbert have replaced Leno and letterman for the younger crowds.

At this point it's like the networks are so hooked on the tradition of the shows and time slots.... It's hard to do essentially the same show for decades and keep fresh, without actually making some changes.

Edited by NoSaint

I think it's a viable slot but I think the formatting needs to evolve some. Our generation would probably go for an hour long version of the daily show-esque product there. Stewart and Colbert have replaced Leno and letterman for the younger crowds.

At this point it's like the networks are so hooked on the tradition of the shows and time slots.... It's hard to do essentially the same show for decades and keep fresh, without actually making some changes.

Tosh.0. I watch Letterman on occasion, when he has someone on that I like.

In due time things will change to all reality all the time. THAT scares me.

Watched Conan for as long as I can remember. I enjoyed the show a lot during the writers strike imo. But then again I've always been a fan.

Walker Texas Ranger Lever

I don't think him moving up a time slot helped him out at all. Wrong crowd for his humor if you ask me. Maybe NBC wanted Fallon on late night(who I think sucks, but having the roots is pretty cool).

I should note that I haven't watched him once since he went to TBS. So I have no opinion on that.

Edited by the_franchise