" 'They' put me in the right situation"

From the story, Vick didn't say he exactly that he was denied from signing with another team. He said "they put me in the right situation." The author of the story speculates that means Goodell told him he had to sign with Philadelphia. (I'm sure this was an accident and he didn't realize it might up his hit count to insinuate unethical or even sinister goings on where taking place. Nah.)

It's not unlikely that whoever it was helped Vick, may have helped make a list of pros and cons to each situation and helped him make an informed decision that was based on more than, "Gee, who's offering the most money." You know, kind of how an adult might make a major life-changing decision.

Have you seen the numbers on his contract? That second year in Philly he was going to get more money there than anywhere else. Also most adult making life changing decisions aren't facing bankruptcy and foreclosure on multiple properties so while i see where you are coming from I just don't think that was his situation.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was never going to end up in Buffalo, anyways.

Ralph, nor many of the fans here, would ever stand for a black starting quarterback or a black head coach.

At first I assumed this was a bad sense of humour. But u can't be serious.

I think everyone is taking this as a slap at Buffalo and in my opinion it had nothing to do with Buffalo as a city or team.

It sounds as though that the league may have been worried about a perception issue.

They were hesitant for a team like Buffalo or Cincy to sign Vick for huge money and immediately name him starter and franchise savior. The league most likely wanted it to appear that Vick was humbled a little bit and had to work his way back.

I cannot really disagree with that idea. I think more negative publicity would have been out there had Vick signed here for a huge contract and been the face of the franchise right off the bat. As it turned out, it probably worked out perfectly for the league. Vick did his time on the bench and has earned the right to play and is now back in the spotlight.

Don't take it personally. The NFL is a multibillion dollar industry, the commissioner and league office need to be involved in such a large decision that has major impact on the league.

People that feel the need to vehemently defend themselves against being racist are usually in fact among the more racist individuals you will meet.

Ah, yes, the old "denial is a symptom" claim. Coming from a gay alcoholic, no doubt.

As for the topic at hand...Goodell's an ass. Water is wet. What else is new?

Have you seen the numbers on his contract? That second year in Philly he was going to get more money there than anywhere else. Also most adult making life changing decisions aren't facing bankruptcy and foreclosure on multiple properties so while i see where you are coming from I just don't think that was his situation.

Not sure what you are getting at. Given a single data point, are you suggesting no other team could've offered him more money or a starting position or ???

Look, all I'm saying is just because some blogger implies Goodell forced Vick to sign with Philadelphia doesn't mean that it really happened. Capiche?

Not sure what you are getting at. Given a single data point, are you suggesting no other team could've offered him more money or a starting position or ???

Look, all I'm saying is just because some blogger implies Goodell forced Vick to sign with Philadelphia doesn't mean that it really happened. Capiche?

I am just reading the quotes from vick not the bloggers perspective. He wanted to come in and start right away he says that buffalo and cinci seemed to be offering that but his mind was changed whether by goodell or not it just seems that way. I am sure some other team could have offered more money and a starting position but i dont know that. I think Vick ended up in a great spot for him but I would hope that all 32 teams were open for him and it seems from his quotes that the league made it clear that was not the case.

I think everyone is taking this as a slap at Buffalo and in my opinion it had nothing to do with Buffalo as a city or team.

It sounds as though that the league may have been worried about a perception issue.

They were hesitant for a team like Buffalo or Cincy to sign Vick for huge money and immediately name him starter and franchise savior. The league most likely wanted it to appear that Vick was humbled a little bit and had to work his way back.

I cannot really disagree with that idea. I think more negative publicity would have been out there had Vick signed here for a huge contract and been the face of the franchise right off the bat. As it turned out, it probably worked out perfectly for the league. Vick did his time on the bench and has earned the right to play and is now back in the spotlight.

Don't take it personally. The NFL is a multibillion dollar industry, the commissioner and league office need to be involved in such a large decision that has major impact on the league.

That is some seriosuly bad business ethics then. What else has the league told players to do?

This is a big deal if the told him he couldnt sign with a team for the leagues image. Thats bushleague and bull ****

Not entirely related to the subject of this thread, but I vividly remember a majority of posters on this board slamming Vick and saying things like they'd boycott the team if the Bills signed him... they're awfully quiet about him these days...

He is still a POS human being...And the league figured him out by years end. Philly will be kicking themselves when he goes down by week 6...

I'd like to read the whole article at GQ and probably then some before I form any kind of opinion on whether the league had anything to do with actually leading him one place or another. There is a huge chunk of missing story between his first quote and his second. We don't even know who he was talking about when he said "They" put me. I assume it was Dungy, not Goodell.

Tried it once briefly 40 years ago.

Nice argument.

:thumbsup:

On the contrary. I'd say it's more likely now than it would have been 40 years ago. And as someone mentioned, previously, there was Perry Fewell. On the whole, I usually enjoy your posts...but you're way off on this one. There really is no basis for your comment.

Edited by ExWNYer

He was convicted of some fairly heinous acts. Fact.

That point totally overrides his first point. Good god, he brutally killed dogs with his own hands and Brett Favre has a similar reputation for waffling about his retirement and sending a pic of his own prick. Mind you, Brett is scum.

For the record, I still would not take Vick for say an an UDFA trade.

With that said, if the allegation is true, then !@#$ Goodell.

Edited by Booster4324

Via Deadspin:

"I think I can say this now, because it's not going to hurt anybody's feelings, and it's the truth... I didn't want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options."

Those two teams wanted him and would've allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced—and granted league approval—to sign with Philly. "And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation."

Link

he would have started for cincy 2 years ago?

Vick was one of the most racially divisive public figures in years. Fact.

This board was overflowing with anti-Vick sentiments when he was on the market. Fact.

The anti-Vick sentiments probably had more to do with his criminal activity than with his race.

You're always the first to paint the Bills' ownership and fanbase as a pack of bigots. Might be you're projecting your own attitudes onto the rest of us? Newsflash champ: we're not like you and are immensely proud of that fact. Now crawl back under your rock and craft some more flimsy stereotypes.

I've always been skeptical of the "NFL hates Buffalo" conspiracy theories, but if this is true Goodell has definitely crossed the line.

I know Buffalo was mentioned as a possible landing spot for Vick, but anybody know how seriously the Bills pursued him?

The article states that Vick had offers from Bills and Bengals to be their starting QB. Sounds serious enough to me.