Can Spiller deliver?

Spiller.....8th pick in the draft, and almost zero impact last year. There must be some talent in that guy, or he would not have been drafted that high. I don't even know if I noticed more than a couple flashes of talent all year long.

My question is this: Can Chan Gailey design an offense that enables CJ Spiller to break loose and live up to his billing?

We've got 2 guys...Spiller and Parrish who are allegedly very dangerous in the open field. Can Gailey get them out into space? He also has Brad Smith to mix things up. Are there going to be enough plays to diversify this offense enough to get these guys enough touches to make a difference?

If Chan is as creative as he seems to be....watch out. This can be a very explosive group of athletes. I don't want to watch CJ Spiller dancing around behind the line of scrimmage looking for a hole. I want to see him breaking open, faking LB's out of their shoes, and scoring a bunch of TD's.

I still think this year may be another in the learning curve of CJ. I expect him to be better, but I don't expect him to completely break out yet. I look at him in the similar manner as Darren McFadden. Raiders' fans were screaming bust until his breakout year last season, which was his 3rd.

Perhaps the funniest comment to come out of Saturday's telecast thanks to Ray Bentley: "CJ Spiller is hoping to avoid a sophomore slump".....did a double take with that one. If he has a slump this year then he'll be right up there with Maybin!

It might be reasonable to wait until he has a decent OL in front of him before calling him a bust. Of course, that's also the slippery slope we've been on with QBs for years, so there's that.

Fred Jackson must have magical powers to be able to run behind this offensive line. Does Spiller not have those magic beans? :rolleyes:

Spiller.....8th pick in the draft, and almost zero impact last year. There must be some talent in that guy, or he would not have been drafted that high. I don't even know if I noticed more than a couple flashes of talent all year long.

My question is this: Can Chan Gailey design an offense that enables CJ Spiller to break loose and live up to his billing?

We've got 2 guys...Spiller and Parrish who are allegedly very dangerous in the open field. Can Gailey get them out into space? He also has Brad Smith to mix things up. Are there going to be enough plays to diversify this offense enough to get these guys enough touches to make a difference?

If Chan is as creative as he seems to be....watch out. This can be a very explosive group of athletes. I don't want to watch CJ Spiller dancing around behind the line of scrimmage looking for a hole. I want to see him breaking open, faking LB's out of their shoes, and scoring a bunch of TD's.

They need to get him into space.

Translation: If he has a 10-yard crease around him when he first gets the ball he'll get some yards.

It might be reasonable to wait until he has a decent OL in front of him before calling him a bust. Of course, that's also the slippery slope we've been on with QBs for years, so there's that.

Why should he need a line? Wasn't the biggest asset he had open-field speed and moves? Since when does that require a line? OLs don't shift outside as a collective when the ball is thrown out that way.

Otherwise, shouldn't he be capable of doing at least what Lynch did behind the same line UTM?

He needs CARRIES.....he needs to be on the field

He had 74 carries and did less with them than Lynch did w/ his 37 or however many he had.

He ran like Shaud Williams used to.

Perhaps the funniest comment to come out of Saturday's telecast thanks to Ray Bentley: "CJ Spiller is hoping to avoid a sophomore slump".....did a double take with that one. If he has a slump this year then he'll be right up there with Maybin!

He would have to run backwards all season to have a slump. That said, I think his learning curve is just a little longer ... coupled with the fact that he was part of a terrible team last year. As the team improves, so will C.J. .... I think/hope.

he has been run up the middle so far and catching so we do not know what Mr Chan is going to do with spiller parrish who has not been playing, and smith. If i was him i would not show much at all. i seriously think that the rest of the AFc has noticed our little trend already. can spiller deliver? he should develop well this year regardless of O line. by half season he will be keyed upon even more is my prediction.

I'm glad someone mentioned that Fred Jackson can run behind this line. What's the difference between Jackson and Spiller running the ball? In a word, patience. When Spiller slows down and lets the play develop he's going to be hitting the same areas as Jackson. Only he'll hit them with a lot more speed and breakaway ability.

GO BILLS!!!

If we ever traded Spiller, knowing the Bills reputation, he would go to another team and rush for 1500 yards his first year.

I'd be surprised if Spiller ever rushed for 1500 yards in a season in the NFL. He just doesn't seem like an every down back. He looks more like a poor mans Reggie Bush and Bush has never run for 600 yards in a season.

I've said all along, make him a slot receiver hybrid. Screens, drag routes, quick slants, circle routes out of the backfield, lots of presnap motion, etc. etc.

He can only run between the tackles with a top offensive line. This line won't make holes for him, and he's not a power back that's going to smash through arm tackles. Get him outside the tackles presnap and find ways to get him the ball, and he can actually have a chance to use his talents.

I've said all along, make him a slot receiver hybrid. Screens, drag routes, quick slants, circle routes out of the backfield, lots of presnap motion, etc. etc.

He can only run between the tackles with a top offensive line. This line won't make holes for him, and he's not a power back that's going to smash through arm tackles. Get him outside the tackles presnap and find ways to get him the ball, and he can actually have a chance to use his talents.

agreed :thumbsup:

I'd be surprised if Spiller ever rushed for 1500 yards in a season in the NFL.

I suppose he will, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't reach 1,500 on the ground in his entire career. He will be given more time because he was an early pick ala McCargo so this will certainly help.

He also might turn out to be a very good back, although I saw no flashes of it last season. Time will tell.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I kind of agree but then I think of 1969, 70, 71 and what OJ did once he had a line that could block for him.