Does the NFL want to eliminate kickoffs?

Simon

Of course they do; kickoffs are where the most serious injuries occur. I don't see how anyone could interpret the new rule any other way.

They just lack the balls (for now) to come out and say "we're eliminating kickoffs and will place the ball at a 20 after a score." That would cause too much uproar -- this way they get 2/3 of the way to their goal without any backlash.

I really like watching guys go at it on kick coverage but if it would help reduce accumulating damage, I'd gladly forgo it.

However, field position is such a huge factor late in tight games, I'd prefer a rule that says you get the ball at your own 20 after a score, except in the last 5-10 minutes of a game. After that point you have to kick off.

I don't see what the problem is, kickoffs were always placed at the 35 yard line. And prior to 1974, they used the 40 yard line. It was a dumb rule change made in the mid-90s, and it put too much emphasis on special teams. Remember when teams used to burn 2 rosters spots on place kickers? Ug :sick:

I don't see what the problem is, kickoffs were always placed at the 35 yard line. And prior to 1974, they used the 40 yard line. It was a dumb rule change made in the mid-90s, and it put too much emphasis on special teams. Remember when teams used to burn 2 rosters spots on place kickers? Ug :sick:

Excellent historical perspective! :thumbsup:

Of course, the biggest flaw in their thinking is: players rarely get injured on kickoffs. They get injured on kickoff returns. From that observation, it would make sense to change the way kickoffs are returned (e.g. instead of kicking off from the 30, punt from the 45 or 50...puts more guys up on the line and fewer downfield with the return man, allows for fair catches. Maintains the return and even gives the receiving team a chance to block. Instead of an onsides kick, treat it as 4th and 10 and allow the possessing team to fake).

But...no. Returns are the problem, so better to ban kickoffs as a whole. Idiots.

That's a very intriguing idea.

If I had to guess (i.e. I'm pulling it out of my ass), more and more serious injuries happen at the point of collision where blockers and tacklers on kickoffs are running at a near full head of steam, due in no small part to there being some 10-15 yards separation between the lines, allowing the blockers to run back, turn, and start running forward. So fine...do something like move the coverage five yards ahead of the ball (maybe ten), put the receiving team's blockers on the line with them, and allow them to block the coverage down the field like they do on punts. That many fewer collisions with a 10+yard running start.

Of course, the number of "sub-concussive" "hits" will increase (or whatever they're calling the persistent cumulative trauma that blocked linemen are suffering - I forget the exact term). They can change the rules to reduce immediate, traumatic injury...but ultimately, to address the issue of long-term brain trauma, the league would have to take all contact out of the game.

This "stupid" rule change was made because modern kickers are way better than kickers from 30+ years ago. The percentage of kickoffs that were returned before the rule change had dropped to the point where the return game was not really a factor in the outcome of games anymore. It will be the same now that we're back to the 35. Every kickoff in the NFL next season will be a touchback unless it's an onside kick or the kicking team has to kick from further back due to a penalty. That's not how football used to be played.

What's the point of watching a touchback anyway? I guess you can add that to the extra point as the time when you can go to the bathroom or the refrigerator without missing anything. As some other posters have said, if the NFL wants to get rid of kickoff returns then they should just do it.

Teams will either bury in the endzone like they did when it was from the 40 or try to put it deep in the feild of play (if the other teams return team is weak or has a bad returner. i. e. Mc Kelvin type :ph34r:) It takes a bit of excitement away from the return for sure. If they want to keep it exciting, take away wedges completely?