Looks can be deceiving...

DreReed83

I watched the game also. The 2nd string anything looked terrible. The 2nd string D-line and linebackers looked like last years team. No deep balls thrown on offense. Fitz was by far light years ahead of Thig and Brown , so nobody should start whining there.The Eddling kid was around the ball alot with the scrubs. Carrington looked huge,but a little slower.Not a true olb at all.1st string looked decent against a poor offense and NO Matt Forte. I will have to see more play to get a real read on this team.

It's a fair point - O-Line was a known weakness for the Bears.

Having said that - NINE SACKS is a lot against anybody.

TWO SACKS IN NINE PLAYS (plus a drawn holding penalty) is an awesome performance for Merriman against anybody.

^-----THIS!!!

did not like being run against. 1st 2nd or 3rd lines. 1st second, third or fourth quarter. I dont like it at all. we have alot of work ahead of us. alot. That being said, i did shout out when the defense was kinda dominating early on. And i liked Heard. I'm looking forward to next game as i hope we all are. I think we will show much better with a good week of practice after studying tape. The rookies especially.

Good effort..but we gotta get these kids up to speed

I just find it rather interesting that

The defense doesnt deserve credit because Chicago's offense was not the strength of the team

BUT

Our offense doesn't deserve any credit for driving on what WAS the strenght of the Chicago's team which was the defense....Bell and Pears went agains a pair of VERY good DE's.

WTF

The defense doesnt deserve credit because Chicago's offense was not the strength of the team

BUT

Our offense doesn't deserve any credit for driving on what WAS the strenght of the Chicago's team which was the defense....Bell and Pears went agains a pair of VERY good DE's.

WTF

Move along, nothing to see here. The OP has an agenda, let him have it.

I think this defense will look good against most offenses. We'll get our test soon enough against NE.

also, "shawne: go get"

is a lot easier than "run a combo block and the back will chip, the wr will be out of his break in time for you to step up and throw"

at this stage in the game, most defenses have looked better than offenses, especially in the trenches. I havent seen every game, but every game i have seen has had a lot of pressure.

:lol:

Although our d-line looks good, just remember they're dominating OUR offensive line in practice and dominated Chicago's offensive line without Kreutz. Offensive line is definately a weakness for Chicago. SOOOO. Until we play a great offensive line, I can't say I was THAT impressed. Definately an improvement since last year.

Let the flaming begin. BRING IT.

You're CRAZY man! The kicked butt throughout a PRESEASON game!

Although our d-line looks good, just remember they're dominating OUR offensive line in practice and dominated Chicago's offensive line without Kreutz. Offensive line is definately a weakness for Chicago. SOOOO. Until we play a great offensive line, I can't say I was THAT impressed. Definately an improvement since last year.

Glass half empty for you I guess. The way I look at it is, they've gone against two different offensive lines and dominated them both. Any thought beyond that is speculation.

Edited by Triple Threat

BUT

WTF

I FULLY agree with this. As much as people say the Bears O-Line was horrible, it can't be much worse than ours (if at all), and the Bears (Pass-rushing strength) couldn't penetrate our line like we did theirs- so by comparison, our pass rush is better than the BEARS, which is good company to be in (or above). And yes, our first team offense definitely out-performed theirs. Granted, this is all preseason, so all of these conclusions could mean nothing.

The point that I have made, however, is that as great as our first team looked, it was scary to see us get run on like we did, even with a lot of the starters still in there. That was worrisome. It's not that we weren't a lot better, and didn't make plays we haven't seen the Bills make in years, it's more that I feel the big plays may have overshadowed some pretty poor run defense. I'm personally just scared, because we now have a large aggressive interior line, but if we aren't better about the run come next week, what's the answer?

No flaming necessary. I can't wait to see them against a serious O-line either.

I FULLY agree with this. As much as people say the Bears O-Line was horrible, it can't be much worse than ours (if at all), and the Bears (Pass-rushing strength) couldn't penetrate our line like we did theirs- so by comparison, our pass rush is better than the BEARS, which is good company to be in (or above). And yes, our first team offense definitely out-performed theirs. Granted, this is all preseason, so all of these conclusions could mean nothing.

The point that I have made, however, is that as great as our first team looked, it was scary to see us get run on like we did, even with a lot of the starters still in there. That was worrisome. It's not that we weren't a lot better, and didn't make plays we haven't seen the Bills make in years, it's more that I feel the big plays may have overshadowed some pretty poor run defense. I'm personally just scared, because we now have a large aggressive interior line, but if we aren't better about the run come next week, what's the answer?

They didnt run against our 1st string guys.....except for the QB scramble the bills starting defense gave up NOTHING on the ground....

Remember we got them out of there pretty quickly....now if you want to complain that our second string guys did not hold up as well....im with ya. But we did a max exodus of starters out of the game after the 2 first series.

Actually no. Dareus was playing in Williams spot and Edwards was playing dareus' spot. Barnett and Davis were out there some as well. Torbor was in there as well...and he sucked. I'm hoping he gets the axe. Let him help the younger guys through camp, then let him go.

how bout keeping Torbor as we desperately need depth at Linebacker, not all of our players are going to be studs but we have to keep a roster.

maybe part of the reason we are hoping Moats can step up at ilb.

I think sheppard is our depth right now. But i bet we are shopping for one more. also the Carrington move shows that coach is making adjustments on the fly. Must be a heck of a challenge for coaches with this crunched time line. I thought i noticed some tension about the depth of o line by Nix last week after reading some of this and that. That Kirkland was a monster at the position imho

The bears were a playoff team last year. They choose not to bring back the center . I would have to say it looks like the pieces are there to stop the run, if Merriman stay healthy they might actualy have a pass rush

The drive where Chicago scored a TD, I saw them run all over us.