Bills front office

Catmanjax

open your eyes.........this was a ralph move, a money move, to line his pockets even further..........it's won't be reinvested, as it hasn't been in the past with the ridiculous "cash to the cap" crap that just resulted in more cash into ralph's bank account, nothing more nothing less........same old, same old, yet every year people come on this board to defend it........this is the only board on the web where people would defend this move - and they never learn

Come on, get some better analysis. If it's all about money:

1) Why completely redo the weight room to meet the standards of the new staff?

2) Why have TWO strength/conditioning coaches?

3) Why bring in Wannstedt and basically create a position for him?

4) Why go after Tyson Clabo?

5) Why sign Buster Davis when you already had a glut at the WR position?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a bunch of good young receivers. If they kept Evans then we lose a Donald Jones or Naaman Roosevelt. If Gailey thinks these guys are worth keeping then why hang on to a guy who is on the backside of his career? Is trading Evans risky? Yes. But the payoff is that these new guys turn into a solid receiving corps.

PTR

So they think all these guys- Parrish, Easley, Jones, Nelson and Roosevelt will eventually become better than Lee Evans? Not likely.

Their team building approach? Well, the owner has said the fans need to experience some pain and show patience which is probably what the GM has told him. The owner has also said it'll take 3-4 years. Compare that to a team like the '10 Bucs who showed a 7 win improvement from '09 (3 to 10 wins) in a tough division. Or the 2008 Falcons who had a new QB, new HC, new GM and managed to make the playoffs. Or perhaps the '08 Dolphins who won 11 games after being the laughingstock of the NFL in 2007.

This mindset that it absolutely takes 3-4 years to turn around a franchise is asinine. Buddy and Chan may have only been in charge since '10, but unless this team wins 8 games in 2011, I consider the rebuild to be failing.

Stubborn.

Nix has too much confidence that he will be able to build the Bills primarily through the draft and that the players he brings in are better than what is otherwise available in free agency. Although this makes sense, the problem is that this means that he will need to hit on almost every draft choice and then have the ability to re-sign these players before they become free agents. I have concerns about the first point, and stronger concerns with regard to the second. The Bills were unable to re-sign Poz and he was one of only two free agents that they wanted to keep this year. The Bills have shed Poz, Whitner and now Evans, and in each case, replaced them with less expensive alternatives. This is not a coincidence. Does anyone think that if Levitre, Woods and Byrd continue to be solid players after four years that all of them will be re-signed by the Bills?

So far, Nix's draft scorecard is incomplete, but I have doubts about Spiller and we did not get much production from our draft picks last year. In terms of free agency, he signed Cornell Green and seems to think that Pears and Chandler are good enough to start. I like Smith, but he was a luxury acquisition. Not a good record so far in free agency, but we will see.

I think that Nix will turn out to be a good evaluator of college talent for the Bills, but a poor choice for a GM in all other ways.

But this was Nix's call, not Ralph. This was not a money move. This was picking our newer WRs over an aging vet. It was a gamble move but one that might pay off in the long run, not that you will be around to care.

PTR

how do you know this? why gamble with a known quantity when your chips are so low? why not gamble on some free agents with all that cap space?

Why do all of them have to be better than Evans? Can't one be just as good?

PTR

It seems like you're saying that none of these players can be cut because they are all projected to be great receivers. Unless that's the case then keep one or two of them AND Evans and cut the another guy.

I year of Nix regime. Nix wasn't here for the last 11 though you can certainly blame him if it makes you feel better.

PTR

Yeah, but you're the king of homer spin. 1 year of the Nix regime. True. But the superhomers like yourself will point out that Aaron Maybin wasn't Nix's pick (which is probably true), however, in a different thread the superhomers will have us believe that Nix pretty much was the only person responsible for San Diego's roster. Even though no one even knew he even worked there.

This organization doesn't deserve one iota of a benefit of a doubt. Not one. My god, you've gotta be Russ Brandon. The fact that an owner has a ton of cap room, and isn't aggressive to make a 11 year crap roster better is a an owner that doesn't have as much pride in his product than he should.

This is easily the worst organization in sports. That solidified immediately when a prideless owner starting selling home games. And until they turn it around, they shouldn't be cut any slack. I don't care what year it's in.

But I guess if you see things as they are, you can't be a Bills fan right?

Going into 2nd year with this current GM and coach. Patience people, patience.

I think PTR said it best, as well as a few others in another earlier thread.

"They have a bunch of good young receivers. If they kept Evans then we lose a Donald Jones or Naaman Roosevelt. If Gailey thinks these guys are worth keeping then why hang on to a guy who is on the backside of his career? Is trading Evans risky? Yes. But the payoff is that these new guys turn into a solid receiving corps.

PTR"

By the time our Bills become a powerhouse, Evans career would be slowing down too much. Not everyone has to agree, but at least see the logic in this. Have restraint from hitting that panic button.

how do you know this? why gamble with a known quantity when your chips are so low? why not gamble on some free agents with all that cap space?

Because 80% of Bills fans who can think just a tad outside of their Bills jersey knows the owner has no pride in his product.

Going into 2nd year with this current GM and coach. Patience people, patience.

I think PTR said it best, as well as a few others in another earlier thread.

"They have a bunch of good young receivers. If they kept Evans then we lose a Donald Jones or Naaman Roosevelt. If Gailey thinks these guys are worth keeping then why hang on to a guy who is on the backside of his career? Is trading Evans risky? Yes. But the payoff is that these new guys turn into a solid receiving corps.

PTR"

By the time our Bills become a powerhouse, Evans career would be slowing down too much. Not everyone has to agree, but at least see the logic in this. Have restraint from hitting that panic button.

My only problem with this is that it's homeristic thinking. To it's fullest. When the hell did we get a solid WR corps? When exactly did this happen? Because D Jones had a good catch or two last year? Because Roscoe (who I like) started decent before getting hurt.....again? Because Nelson flashed a time or two some qualities of a good WR? Ask the homers here about Marcus Easley, and they act like they know he's Anquan Boldin. AND NONE OF YOU HAVE NO IDEA. LOL. You've gotta be kidding me. Easley is like the next guy that fans hope can take the torch from when homers tried to make Kwame Cavil or Martin Nance (two more WR's no one knew anything about, but acted like they did) the next Jerry Rice.

Not that they really know more, but a caller called in to NFL radio when they were at Bills camp yesterday and talked about the Bills "fantastic" young WR corps. Ross Tucker and Bob Poppa almost ridiculed him off the air. Saying basically, you still have no idea what you've got yet in Buffalo at the WR position. I agree fully. ONE WR had one good year. That's it.

I don't even mind getting rid of Lee. Lee did disappear a lot. Great. My problem is with the loser mentality of why they are replacing. We are a team with a ton of cap space. TONS. So, let's make a competition on the team for the last two WR spots. If they can beat out Lee, cut him after he's a guy that isn't contributing more than others on the team. That certainly wasn't the case. The Bills are notoriously cheap with this. They cut average starters, when they have worse holes elsewhere on the roster, and are forced to spend money on fixing a hole THEY created with the cut they made. KEEP YOUR OWN, and when they are no longer the best player at the position, then get rid of them. ESPECIALLY if you have the cap room to do so.

This will never change unless we are lucky enough to have a new owner that wants to win in Buffalo. It's amazing that free agency is awesome when an owner like Pegula does it and the Sabres improve, yet Ralph isn't cheap, even though he sits there with a craptastic roster and tons of cap room. Makes no sense, other than you have no pride in the product you put there........Ralph.

If you all don't like the owner/front office, head coach etc then go cheer for the Patriots, Jets, anyone. Just shut the hell up already.

Translation = Go to Ruth's Chris steak house, get served McDonald's and just shut up and take it.....quietly!

Edited by Lv-Bills

The question was "this front office..." as in Nix and Gailey. Have they been here 10 years?

What is strange is how the same people complain about everything and yet they are still here every year. The NFL has 31 other teams. Pick one.

PTR

Maybe their here because they have grown up a Bills fan and want their time to resemble an adequate organization as opposed to the laughing stock of the league.I never thought id get to the point where the Bills are just a team from my hometown and I really don't expect much from them.

PTR you propose picking a new team. What about more of a demand from the fan base to OBD for quality NFL caliber players & developement? This is a con game and they continue to take the money and run.

I year of Nix regime. Nix wasn't here for the last 11 though you can certainly blame him if it makes you feel better.

PTR

Year two of Nix era, and if you want to be technical about it, year three as Nix was hired as top national scout in early 09.

Their team building approach? Well, the owner has said the fans need to experience some pain and show patience which is probably what the GM has told him. The owner has also said it'll take 3-4 years. Compare that to a team like the '10 Bucs who showed a 7 win improvement from '09 (3 to 10 wins) in a tough division. Or the 2008 Falcons who had a new QB, new HC, new GM and managed to make the playoffs. Or perhaps the '08 Dolphins who won 11 games after being the laughingstock of the NFL in 2007.

This mindset that it absolutely takes 3-4 years to turn around a franchise is asinine. Buddy and Chan may have only been in charge since '10, but unless this team wins 8 games in 2011, I consider the rebuild to be failing.

Well, the bucs struck gold on a first round qb. Whole different discussion. Josh Freeman would cure many ills we have.