Ryan Mallett ......QB Rating 108.2

papazoid

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Beating up on second and third stringers in the second half of a pre-season game doesn't get you into the HOF I don't know what will.

Mallet has a killer arm but is a statue in the pocket and a bit of a headcase.

Mallett is a certified CHF and that says it all about where his career will go.

Except that Bucky Brooks was saying this in January and continuously since then. Ryan Mallett's case is fascinating. The talent is clearly there but everybody passes on him at least twice. It wasn't really about the drugs, of which there was not enuf to really get excited about. Its that conventional front office wisdom just could not see him ever leading a group of grown men. Meanwhile they all pretty much were blown away by Cam and Blaine Gabbert's "intangibles" in this regard. But they are all pretty much a bunch of middle to later age men who could not get their heads around his wigger personality. I include Nix and Gailey in this. I think they would have stupidly picked Cam Newton ahead of Dareus if by some fluke they both were there at #3, and I think Buddy did try to nab Tebow (now on his way to being a 3rd stringer) the year before.

I think Shep would probably have been there for us at the top of the fourth or we could have traded up so that I saw it as Searcy instead of Mallett. Nothing against Searcy but that was a monumental error IMO.

Ryan Mallett will be as good as he wants to be, and I think he wants to be really good.

If Ryan Mallett ends up being the next Tom Brady, Bucky Brooks would still have missed the point entirely. It is beyond ridiculous to make such bold predictions about any player, let alone a rookie QB, based upon a performance against 3rd and 4th stringers in his first preseason game as a pro. As a former player, Brooks should know better. Leave the kid alone, let him fly under the radar and work on his game.

There were enough questions about Mallett's physical attributes to play the position to preclude teams from drafting him, regardless of perceived personality traits. For instance, in Gaily's offense, a mobile QB is a requirement. I don't think Mallett fits Gailey's mold. Often times it's matter of a coach's preference, nothing more. I don't get the impression Gailey is put off by a "wigger" personality. He's been around and coached all types in his career. I doubt that had anything to do with why they didn't take Mallett.

GO BILLS!!!

If Ryan Mallett ends up being the next Tom Brady, Bucky Brooks would still have missed the point entirely. It is beyond ridiculous to make such bold predictions about any player, let alone a rookie QB, based upon a performance against 3rd and 4th stringers in his first preseason game as a pro. As a former player, Brooks should know better. Leave the kid alone, let him fly under the radar and work on his game.

There were enough questions about Mallett's physical attributes to play the position to preclude teams from drafting him, regardless of perceived personality traits. For instance, in Gaily's offense, a mobile QB is a requirement. I don't think Mallett fits Gailey's mold. Often times it's matter of a coach's preference, nothing more. I don't get the impression Gailey is put off by a "wigger" personality. He's been around and coached all types in his career. I doubt that had anything to do with why they didn't take Mallett.

GO BILLS!!!

Everybody, including BB, passed on him at least twice. So nothing specific about a particular offensive scheme or philosophy. He was not chosen because he was not seen as generally fitting the mould, insofar as expectations and conventional wisdom was concerned. Hear what you are saying about Gailey and don't disagree. It was clear from a comment Chris Brown made during the draft when Mallett was still out there that the Bills had decided not to touch him with a bargepole regardless of the round. Just didn't want him at all. I think it was Buddy, who I suspect has some preconceived notions about people. Hes not different from a lot of FO types in that regard. BB does have the ability to think outside the box and is not above taking a chance. I think he will be rewarded.

Everybody, including BB, passed on him at least twice.

The team with reigning MVP Tom Brady at QB didn't draft a QB in round 1 or 2, and you're using THAT as a sign that the guy isn't good? If anything, the fact that the team with reigning MVP Tom Brady at QB drafted the kid in round 3, DESPITE having a solid young backup already in Hoyer, should set off warning sirens that this kid might be pretty good.

If they can keep his jersey clean then the kid has all the tools to be great- if the Oline starts to let pressure through then the kid is going to take a beating and we will see how long he lasts mentally and physically- The Pats were the best place for Mallet, they have had a long history of providing excellent protection to their QBs- the Bills look at their Oline and say "meh good enough" if the QB starts getting sacked 5 or 6 times a game then they'll take another look.

Alex Smith went 2-10 last night. If BB is smart he will trade CHF Mallett now for Smith and a #1. In about two weeks he can probably get Smith to the point where another team will offer a #1 for him. That will mean BB turned a 3rd round pick into 2 #1s. Incredible. He may then be able to draft Andrew Luck and trade Brady for two #1's. Just amazing really. You have to respect a guy like that even if you hate his team.

The team with reigning MVP Tom Brady at QB didn't draft a QB in round 1 or 2, and you're using THAT as a sign that the guy isn't good? If anything, the fact that the team with reigning MVP Tom Brady at QB drafted the kid in round 3, DESPITE having a solid young backup already in Hoyer, should set off warning sirens that this kid might be pretty good.

Not sure you have been reading my posts. Either that or you have comprehension problems. I have been saying that IMO Ryan Mallett has a chance to be a very good pro QB, and an absolute steal as a third round pick. Given what I see as huge natural ability, I think its really all up to him. All he needs to do is find the same work ethic that make Peyton and Brady megastars, because he may well have comparable ability. He needs to be the first guy in the team facility in the morning and he needs to be the last guy out the door at the end of the day. He has such an "unconventional" personality that pro talent evaluators didn't think he could develop that kind of dedication and maturity. I think they were wrong and that when he was sitting there in the third he was money for the Bills and just about every other team. On the other hand, the fact that so many had the "wrong" impression is partly on Mallett and his agents/handlers. For example, he didn't have to run a fast 40, but he needed to show up at the combine & proday in good physical condition, not a sloppy 257lbs (I'd like to see him at fit 260-265, which is doable given his frame).

Like I said, I think us passing on him in the third was a monumental error. Time will tell.

BTW Hoyer is a free agent next year and there is no way the Pats are going to franchise him. Mallett was drafted as TBs potential replacement (if he pans out). When TBs current contract expires he will be 37 years old and that time frame corresponds with the end of Mallett's rookie contract. Brady's great but will he stay healthy and will his skills remain at this level by then? Not likely IMO. He will probably still have good trade value in two or three years so I would not rule out his being traded and RM taking over. Like I said, a lot of this depends entirely on Mallett and his development.

I like our QB's and hope we get real creative with them this year. We have three decent QB's, not great but good. I think we should throw to Parrish, Spiller and Chandler from the wildcat a few times a game. With our O-line we need to keep Defenses off balance. I was pleased that we drafted for defense and skipped on Mallett.

9-14 for 71 and an INT. Not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Also, i believe his one INT was returned for a TD. Not good. Anyway, I was always in the camp that Ryan Mallett would be an excellent pro QB. I still think he will and I'm pissed that NE got him. If he didn't get picked by the Bills I hoped he would go to the NFC. I was surprised that the 49ers did not draft him. big mistake.