Billls open to trading Evans

No one is pointing out the obvious. Nix has FAILED to address the offensive line. The Bills are trying to trade Lee Evans because he is a 9 route runner. The Bills do not have the pass protection to hold off the opposing pass rush on a 5 step drop. Therefore Lee is rendered useless.

How long does Buddy's plan have to go on before the most ardent Pollyannas realizes that it's incredibly flawed?

I agree with the first part of your post. Not so sure about the second...

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool. that's one. do you really have faith in the front office to make good decisions, or should we just throw out the past 12 years?

Yea you probably should. Last I checked nix has been gm for 2 years, whaleys been here 2 years and we just fired modrak. So what part of the front office is the same as 12 years ago? (cue the Ralph is cheap post)

I'd trade Jason Peters for Eric Wood straight up any day.

Would you trade Lee Evans for Da'Norris Searcy, or Derek Fine, or Marcus Easley, or Shawn Nelson, or Reggie Corner, or Ko Simpson?

I'll even give you starting/fringe rotational caliber players from rds 5-7 as well:

Mario Haggan (being generous)

Justin Bannan

Terrence McGee

Brad Butler

Kyle Williams

Steve Johnson

D Bell (being generous)

You might say, of course I'd trade Lee for Stevie, or Kyle, but then there's this: these are the keepers among 40 rolls of the dice between 2002-2009 in Rounds 4-7. You're not trading Lee for Steve Johnson, you're trading for a 7 in 40 chance (about 17.5%) that the player amounts to anything. You're trading for about a 10% chance that the player is of the caliber of Butler, Williams, Johnson or McGee. Those are ****ty odds.

Would you trade Lee Evans for Da'Norris Searcy, or Derek Fine, or Marcus Easley, or Shawn Nelson, or Reggie Corner, or Ko Simpson?

I'll even give you starting/fringe rotational caliber players from rds 5-7 as well:

Mario Haggan (being generous)

Justin Bannan

Terrence McGee

Brad Butler

Kyle Williams

Steve Johnson

D Bell (being generous)

You might say, of course I'd trade Lee for Stevie, or Kyle, but then there's this: these are the keepers among 40 rolls of the dice between 2002-2009 in Rounds 4-7. You're not trading Lee for Steve Johnson, you're trading for a 7 in 40 chance (about 17.5%) that the player amounts to anything. You're trading for about a 10% chance that the player is of the caliber of Butler, Williams, Johnson or McGee. Those are ****ty odds.

Forget that - let's stick with the initial proposed trade. There is not a gm in the league who would trade a perennial Pro Bowl LT who may have a couple of holes in his game (Peters) for a center with some promise (Wood).

Edited by dave mcbride

I agree with the first part of your post. Not so sure about the second...

I could go on and on about Buddy's 5 year "plan" but instead I will ask you this....how has Buddy addressed the O line? Why wait until the 4/5th round to do so? He has had two drafts and two FA periods and has come up with nothing but a couple late round tackles. What's been the Bills biggest problem over the last decade? Go on....

Well, just sitting here on my laptop and watching NFL Countdown on ESPN, and they say that we're definitely "open to trading Lee Evans" and that a trade could be "Consummated within the next 24-48 hours." OK, fine, maybe won't happen, but the aforementioned report is certainly more confirmation than we've received to this point.

Realistically, without a deep threat, spread or no spread, how do you account for the loss in our offense? I mean really, I'm tired of hearing how ineffective Lee Evans "really is." Not necessary- just want to know what any of you think we would realistically do with the receivers that we have on the roster having that vertical threat essentially diminished.

Our tackles are going to be rotating gates so there will be no time for the deep ball. So Lee Evans is pretty expandable. Any talented player should only be forced to play for the Bills for so long anyway.

I think Chan is envisioning Buster to take Lee's place, they have pretty similar attributes. Here is a write up of davis coming out of LSU:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/craig_davis.html

Here are there combine numbers:

Lee: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=58740&draftyear=2004&genpos=WR

Buster: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=10823&draftyear=2007&genpos=WR

Forget that - let's stick with the initial proposed trade. There is not a gm in the league who would trade a perennial Pro Bowl LT who may have a couple of holes in his game (Peters) for a center with some promise (Wood).

I'm possibly in the minority but I might trade Peters for Mangold. The best center in the league is better IMO than is a very talented LT who has some work ethic issues.

I do think there's something to the idea that Peters takes plays off and coasts a bit on reputation. He is not as bad as bitter fans here think, nor is he as good as some of his defenders insist. I like Wood a lot, as in he might be one of my favorite players in the current team. I'm of two minds on how it worked out with Peters. He'd already been re-signed and then renegotiated. It would have set a terrible precedent to keep on going that way with him. That said, it's nice to keep your own, and they got a lot of value out of a guy they paid nothing for to begin with. If you look at it with the perspective that he was not long for Buffalo and was going to sulk his way through a continued career here, the value they got in Wood plus two more rolls of the dice does not look bad. If Wood becomes all-pro caliber at center, I think it's a push.

I think Chan is envisioning Buster to take Lee's place

Based on what information? Measurables don't mean much.

Production means a lot more, and if they're getting rid of Evans because his production is down, signing on a perennial injury risk who has never lived up to his potential as a replacement seems pure folly.

I think Chan is envisioning Buster to take Lee's place, they have pretty similar attributes. Here is a write up of davis coming out of LSU:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/craig_davis.html

Here are there combine numbers:

Lee: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=58740&draftyear=2004&genpos=WR

Buster: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=10823&draftyear=2007&genpos=WR

Who gives a sh*t what some "scout" thought of Davis out of college! That same scout thought Mike Williams wasn't a fat, lazy, POS too! Jesus H some of you Pollys!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Sometime in early august -

Chan: Well Lee, we'd like you to run the entire route tree this year, including over the middle. What'd ya say?

Lee: I'd rather not coach, I might get hurt out there!

Chan: Okay Lee, we'll see what we can do.

Door closes. Call is made...

Chan: I talked to him, he isn't going for it.

Buddy: What do you want to do?

Chan: It's a tough game for tough people.

Buddy: I'll get 'er done.

Look for lots of spread formations this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 2013 draft pick if it meant getting a higher round out of it.

Who gives a sh*t what some "scout" thought of Davis out of college! That same scout thought Mike Williams wasn't a fat, lazy, POS too! Jesus H some of you Pollys!!!!!!! :wallbash:

I'm merely saying that they have a similar playing style. You're correct in that I'm sure that scout left out MW's laziness but probably said he is a big, physical receiver, which he is. And to address production, what did Lee do last year besides "draw double teams"? Christ send anyone on a deep fly pattern if he's open b/c they are doubling Stevie, Fitz will get him the ball. Also, Fitz doesn't throw a great long ball, so what is the point of tying up money or a roster spot for a player that doesn't fit the skill set of his QB? Chan is known as a guy who "maximizes minimally talented QBs", so this seems to be consistent with building a team around Fitz's strong suits.

nah , 42 catches last year bunch of drops and key fumbles , at 30 he can easily be replaced

meh idk man

steve johnson isnt going to scare anybody as a teams top wideout. he will get his balls and make his plays but hes not gonna keep any coordinators up at night. thats pretty huge to the offense

and who exactly is going to be the threat at wr2 to help stevie out? parrish cant do that job imo, he is what he is, a great slot guy who would struggle against constant cb2+ coverage. david nelson is the only other guy to show something and he only had 31 catches at a very white 11 ypc - weak evidence he can handle the role. unless lightning strikes twice, stevie isnt ready to consistently handle wr1 doubles and probably nobody is ready to really handle wr2, so its suddenly a development year for the position

they better get something damn good a high second round-ish pick or a starting caliber player in return or yeah im gonna be pissed too

It makes no sense to take away a true leader on offense to help the other young receivers. His salary isn't that much, plus they have a salary floor to be at next season...If he does leave, I at least hope he gets to go to a contender.

I hope it's for an OT or passrushing DE

Sometime in early august -

Chan: Well Lee, we'd like you to run the entire route tree this year, including over the middle. What'd ya say?

Lee: I'd rather not coach, I might get hurt out there!

Chan: Okay Lee, we'll see what we can do.

Door closes. Call is made...

Chan: I talked to him, he isn't going for it.

Buddy: What do you want to do?

Chan: It's a tough game for tough people.

Buddy: I'll get 'er done.

Look for lots of spread formations this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 2013 draft pick if it meant getting a higher round out of it.

Someone who understands football: Buddy, why didn't you know this from watching Lee on tape during his previous 5 seasons?

Buddy: Show me the baby!

Someone who understands football: Buddy, Lee has never bee anything but a 9 route runner.

Buddy: The Raiders suck!

Someone who understands football: Even if we we keep Lee, the O Line can't hold off the pass rush on a 5 step drop.

Buddy: That's why I drafted CJ.

Man you guys are ridiculous, holy **** you B word about our good players, then we get rid of them and you B word because we don't get the guy you want so you find someone else to B word about

The guy who should B word is lee, a total pro, and I'm sure he runs the plays he is told to. The guy is a ballet and never complains no matter what

Edited by Defend Greece