Why Change O-Line?

Last year our O-Line was strong except for Right Tackle. Bell, Levitre, Hangartner, and Wood was a good line. IMO all the Bills had to do was keep the line as is and then in free agency sign a good RT (Which for the Bills is a difficult task)Now instead of a respectable line, we have a good line on the left side and a below average line on the right side. But for all we know Urbik and Pears could be solid. I don't know maybe the changes made were in fact good changes, I would think Chan knows more than fans.

I thought our OLine looked pretty much like a train wreck last year. Fitz and Brohm and Brown had little time to throw. Fitz could be a lot more successful with time to throw the football. They couldn't open holes for CJ. Imagine what CJ could do with a hole like he had at Clemson, or at least a little hole. That's why we want to change our OLine.

Because it's not very good. Folks here seem to be happy with adequate. Others want our line to dictate our offense and not to gimmick to hide deficiencies. I would love to see fewer question marks on this line (I count 3 of them) and see at leastl another solid OT and some depth.

When ever someone says the Oline was ok last year I think about the Jets game where the team couldn't move the ball at all and then Fitz picked up 10 yards on a broken pass/run play. They seemed a bit sparked by it but it just shows you how Fitz's ability made up for some of the terrible play. I thought Rinehart played better guard than Hang last year too. Wottro seems good as back up but Howard was beyond raw. I think Urbik is getting the call because he was "next on Buddy's board" during the draft and they have faith he will be good if they play him. Pears I think can work out, he was a starter on a kind of badish team but he has looked better than some of the scrubs we have had in there, in the recent past. I would love to see another (swing tackle or starting GOOD rt please) player or 2 brought in when cuts are made, trade or maybe they will raid more practice squads. It seems to be a case of will this guy fit and what do we have at the same time, I am sure gailey is at least showing a bit of frustration with it so far.

I think they have brought in bigger (which is a major strike against Hang) guys and that, that is a good thing. I guess they just are kind of waiting to see what these guys can do if they are healthy and stay that way. Clabo was the only tackle they looked at because he fit IMO they just didn't see it with others that were out there in FA. I understand 3 year rebuild plans take time but it is hard on us fans. I am willing to bet though that all these players that teams like Philly filled up on are going to not be as good as everyone is thinking. FA is a good place to fill out your team but not to build one from. In my opinion the Iggies are going about it like all these pieces will show up on gameday like the prison boy did and I think that he is an exception and they are over looking that fact. Parts of a team need to gel, even play making parts. To be honest look at the first 5 or so games to be a bit disappointing (but probably better) with all the changes in our D.

I do think that this O line stuff takes time, even once they have the guys, they have to play together for a while before they look good. That has been one of the biggest problems the last few years IMO, too many damned injuries to gel into a unit coupled with less than stellar talent and little depth. I do like that BN goes at this in a pragmatic (if somewhat cheap) way. There are always linemen that develop out of late rounds or even UFDAs (Clabo, Peters for 2 instances) maybe they can get by with these guys, they seem to be devising some schemes to try. And next year I am sure they go after more. Here's to hoping and staying patient.

the Bills have the WORST starting OT's in the league.

it spells BIG TROUBLE !!

Yes, their starting OT's are the worst in the NFL. If Buffalo's offense is in any way hindered by the lack of decent OT's, that's directly on Nix for arrogantly assuming his cast-off's and projects would fit the bill. The risk he took in not signing someone a healthy and more accomplished OT this off-season is inexcusable.

Because it's not very good. Folks here seem to be happy with adequate. Others want our line to dictate our offense and not to gimmick to hide deficiencies. I would love to see fewer question marks on this line (I count 3 of them) and see at leastl another solid OT and some depth.

This ^

Yes, their starting OT's are the worst in the NFL. If Buffalo's offense is in any way hindered by the lack of decent OT's, that's directly on Nix for arrogantly assuming his cast-off's and projects would fit the bill. The risk he took in not signing someone a healthy and more accomplished OT this off-season is inexcusable.

Thank you, and if I may add to that; going after Atlanta's OT, losing and throwing you hands up and saying "I tried" is like what a child would say when he strikes out in little league...when you represent a billion dollar corporation and have decades of personnel experience and a team that has been at sea for a decade you take advantage of everything possible to to make it better.

As that great football manager Yoda once said, "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Hangartner isn't as stout at the point of attack - they want someone stronger in the middle of the line to deal with Scioli (Mia), Wilfork & Haynesworth (NE) and at one-time Jenkins (NYJ).

This ^. Wilfork DESTROYED Hangartner every time he has played him. The Bills DID upgrade this position though, Wood (who is much stronger) is now the starting center. Hangartner is a backup.

while i think the pass protection was decent at times, the run blocking was awful. That includes Saint Wood.

FYI other teams had great success even when the QB doesnt have a lot of time, see GB

I see this argument (that a handful of teams have had success with mediocre line play) but I don't understand the point. What is the point exactly?

This ^. Wilfork DESTROYED Hangartner every time he has played him. The Bills DID upgrade this position though, Wood (who is much stronger) is now the starting center. Hangartner is a backup.

Definitely an upgrade for our division. Hangartner is an great BACKUP, and he'd be a decent to good starter in a (different) division where there are a lot of 4-3s and/or weaker DTs.

Is the off-season over? Teams will soon be cutting 37 players each to get to their final roster number. I'm sure there will be some unfortunately cap and number casualties. I don't think we should give up hope yet..

Edited by markinsd