Is there any actual evidence of Gailey's (gulp) genius.

#34fan

Of course there is.... They won 4 games last year, a couple less than the year before. Why would you question that?

You don't do much research before you post do you? Gailey has been here for one season, and neither Byrd nor Stevie Johnson were rookies, so he didn't have squat to do with acquiring either one of them. He can take the credit for drafting Spiller-Oops! nobody wants to the credit for that bust. Good coaching in the latter part of the season? They got blown out the last two games, and showed little heart in the season finale.

Your assessment of Spiller being a bust is way premature. If he tears it up this year, you gonna come back on this board & admit you were wrong? Also, with the exception of the last few games, the 4-win team was much more entertaining to watch.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it was time for a change. 43 defense really wasnt working and I'm glad he made the change. you can do so much more from a 34 than you can a 43. Schobel was on the decline so it wasn't a major loss IMO. No biggie.

failed to address gaping holes in the tackle positions? I think the last 3 coaches BEFORE chan failed to address that as well, so don't blame Chan. Since he was changing defensive schemes, he needed to address that first.

failed to get a quality tight end? who gives a sh**. thats the last of my worries for this team.

over committed to Trent? when did he overcommit to Trent? He cut him lose after 2 or 3 games and committed to Fitz.

Quality pick ups in Byrd and Stevie? Ummm. They were drafted BEFORE Chan even got here.

WHO ARE YOU? Definately not a Bills fan. Go cheer for the Titans. :rolleyes:

Let's not question each other's fanhood. We all want the same thing. I'm just not buying into this "Gailey is a genius thing." -Not yet, anyway. Maybe if we start the season 3-1. 4-12 to me says failure. I dunno about anyone else.

I sure as heck haven't found any. I've seen a mediocre body of work accompanied by a bunch of firings. I think if Chan was an ice cream flavor, he'd be DOUBLE VANILLA. Granted, he's all we can afford right now but how does he get away with the "stay the course" mentality. -Help me out a little here.

http://www.footballguys.com/10tefertiller_gailey.php

he took over a 7 win team and turned it into a 4 win team by changing the defensive structure to a 3-4 resulting in Schobel's retirement, failed to address gaping holes in the tackle positions, failed to get a quality tight end, over committed to a failing qb (TE) and produced little in the drafts to date to justify his administration.On the other hand he has made some quality pick ups in middle and later rounds (Byrd and Steve, for instance) and once he committed to Fitz provided some very good coaching in the latter part of last season.

If he gets nine wins this season I'd be happy if they kept him.

I think Schobel was out no matter what. I am disappointed in the Bills failure to pursue free agents aggressively.

i don't think going from a 7 win season to a 6 win season to a 4 win season is "headed in the right direction". I don't think this team is "particularly talented" particularly in relation to the competition (the Jets and Patriots for instance.) In order to make an omelet you actually have to have eggs to break, and I don't see the eggs in the Bills basket as of yet.

You either misunderstood my question or intentionally avoided it. The team Gailey inherited, pre-2010 draft, was neither "particularly talented" nor "headed in the right direction" so it was a given things had to be shaken up. That's why most non-casual observers aren't bothered by the drop in wins last year. With the players added in last year's and this year's drafts, plus the FA pickups, the talent pool is considerably "deeper" than it was.

I think there are very legitimate arguments the Bills may be MORE talented than the Jets (WR, DL) and Pats* (RB, DB) at some positions, and less talented at others -- most notably the OL.

In any event, I find it ridiculous to draw any hard and fast conclusions about the direction of the Bills' franchise (and the viability of Gailey as HC) after only one year.

He's widely regarded as an offensive mastermind. However, at Ga Tech, he never once beat in-state rival Georgia--despite putting together a respected team. Don't know how that will translate to the Bills-Patriots rivalry this season (if you can call being swept every year a rivalry).

On another note, since we're talking about eggs, I would categorize the Bills as a well-mixed, nicely-seasoned bowl of fork-split eggs and milk. The chives and Tabasco are ready to add at the last minute. We even have some delicious grease left over from the bacon to make em a little dirty.

However, we don't have a nonstick skillet to cook them in.

Get the skillet, and we'll be a good team. Otherwise, the Bills will show some brilliance, but won't reach their full potential because too much egg will be stuck to the pan.

So what makes a coach a "genius"?

...is it wins?

...Super Bowl rings?

...ability to develop players?

just wondering...

In Gailey's corner he is decent and a great offensive mind! But, he has had to work with players from a past regime coached by Dickey Poo!

Gailey's track record since U of Florida...

Florida (Graduate Assistant)

Troy State (Defensive Backfield Coach)

Air Force (Defensive Backfield Coach)

Air Force (Defensive Coordinator)

Troy State (Head Coach)

Denver Broncos (Special Teams/Tight Ends)

Denver Broncos (Tight Ends/Receivers)

Denver Broncos (Quarterbacks Coach)

Denver Broncos (Offensive Coordinator) (Receivers Coach)

Birmingham Fire (Head Coach)

Samford (Head Coach)

Pittsburgh Steelers (Wide Receivers Coach)

Pittsburgh Steelers (Offensive Coordinator)

Dallas Cowboys (Head Coach)

Miami Dolphins (Offensive Coordinator)

Georgia Tech (Head Coach)

Kansas City Chiefs (Offensive Coordinator)

Buffalo Bills (Head Coach)

He's had success with most of his opportunities...

He is labeled at bringing the best out of his players and devising game plans to do so!

Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler and Thigpen are an example of this!

Overall, I'm glad we have this guy as a coach...I think he's changing this organization and building a foundation for this team to compete...to be a top team in the AFC--something us Bills fans all want!

(posted this because original poster dislikes external links)

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Dammit, won't somebody just tell me if I should bother watching this team or just give up on the season already? TELL ME PLEASE

Watch the first 6 games. We should be 4 & 2 at the BYE, If worse, then work on your honey-do list the rest of the Sundays ...but make sure you record the games... Ya just never know.

Hey Rook, I meant "Vanilla" in terms of Offense. Boring, or just plain-jane would also be synonyms.

#34 who are you? I can't believe I'm even responding to such negative crap. What makes you think you would even recognize genius in the first place? I think Chan is doing a great job with what he has in front of him. It's not like he's the president and has every thing he could ask for and then screw it all up. Ralph is the limiter here. Like Ralph has said, just enjoy what you have or you will have nothing. So its either vanilla ice cream or an empty bowl.

According to Pat Kriwain and Tim Ryan of Sirius NFL Radio is one of the best 5 offensive minds in the game. I'm not sure he made good decisions on his assistants on the defensive side of the ball however.

Who are the other 4??

http://www.footballguys.com/10tefertiller_gailey.php

Could Gailey rehabilitate Brohm's career? Possibly. Brown is a deep longshot. There is also the possibility of the Bills signing a veteran free agent off the street or trading for Thigpen, who now plays for the Miami Dolphins. Given Gailey's ability to make lemonade out of his quarterback lemons, Buffalo is likely to roll with what they currently have on the roster.

No mention of Fitz. oops. Fitz is the guy who made Chan look real good last year. No question.

he likes to ride his stud.

(ahem).....Except he wouldn't climb onto Spiller.

Edited by Mr. WEO

So the OP sees no improvement in this offense between Gaily and Jauron??? Really???

I think I have someone new to add to my ignore list. Whoopie!!

You're ignoring the top notch analysis done by previous posters. Under Jauron/Fewell the Bills were a world beating 6-10, then Gailey arrived and drove the team into the ground to a lowly 4-12. Since we live in a bubble with no other factors, variables and influences, the declining record can only be a result of Chan Gailey's incompetence. Everything is as simple as what I've stated above.

i don't think going from a 7 win season to a 6 win season to a 4 win season is "headed in the right direction". I don't think this team is "particularly talented" particularly in relation to the competition (the Jets and Patriots for instance.) In order to make an omelet you actually have to have eggs to break, and I don't see the eggs in the Bills basket as of yet.

Don't pretend you didn't see my post. :angry: