Mount Jasper

Sounded as though he was looking like he might have something in early drills.

Any updates from this week?

- Big Michael Jasper is still a work in progress. While he has the size and athleticism you dream of in a nose tackle, Jasper forgot where he was supposed to be. Literally. The defense had only ten people lined up, and they were screaming for Jasper to get in the play. He moved faster than any other 390-pound man I've ever seen to get where he was supposed to be.

By Joe Buscaglia

I wonder if the coaching staff might look at Jasper as a potential LT at some point? Freakish size and athleticism. If he could make that move and learn that position, good god the possibilities.

Normally I'd scoff at this idea but he seems to have more of an OL body than a DT type body. His torso is massive while his lower body is smaller by comparison. I always thought you wanted your DT to have a low center of gravity and he doesn't fit the bill. I'd you look at Wilfork and other dominant DT's their asses and thighs look like an elephants.

Normally I'd scoff at this idea but he seems to have more of an OL body than a DT type body. His torso is massive while his lower body is smaller by comparison. I always thought you wanted your DT to have a low center of gravity and he doesn't fit the bill. I'd you look at Wilfork and other dominant DT's their asses and thighs look like an elephants.

Have you seen Jasper in person? His lower body is "smaller" only in relation to his abdominal girth. His legs and ass are huge.

Have you seen Jasper in person? His lower body is "smaller" only in relation to his abdominal girth. His legs and ass are huge.

Yep I saw him last week. Every other DT on the roster looked more like a DT than him. Especially Dareus. I'm not saying he can't play DT, I'm just saying his body type doesn't fit the mold.

Jasper's strength is his freakish quickness. I have a friend whose son is being recruited at Bethel as a wrestler. He told me that Bethel is the only college in TN that offers wrestling scholarships. The wrestling coach, for whatever reason, showed him a tape of Jasper. He said the tape was unbelievable for a guy that size.

Anyway, I digress.

Jasper is huge, but his main asset is quickness. Twitch quickness.

That's got to be worth about 30 pounds.

I can't wait to see him.

I don't post here very often anymore, but I like checking the board everyday anyways.

I was at practice on Sunday, watching the D-Linemen hit the blocking sled with all-four's on the ground. This drill - and I'm no coach/player/scout - showed me a lot about explosion and raw power.

A guy like Lionel Dotson, who is no small man himself, was hitting the sled and moving it about 3 yards to the left or right. It was cool.

Marcell Dareus hit the sled backwards about 3 yards, and THEN quite literally picked it up and threw it another 5 yards left or right. This was impressive.

Jasper was closer to Dareus than he was to Dotson, and frankly, was just about as good in this particular drill. Of course it's not real football, but his strength and explosion was quite noticable, even to the untrained eye. He has a chance.