There's an interesting word coming out of Bills camp

eball

now we just need for our NFL opponents to agree to not rush the passer and we will be all set to take advantage of those WRs

However, failing that, difficult to realize the explosiveness when your QB is running for his life due to shoddy OT & TE play.

That's why the Thigpen signing was good. If you aren't smart enough to strengthen your foundation, at have good insurance.

Fitzpatrick has been durable as can be considering all the hits he takes in the pocket and running the ball (which he likes to do).

But at some point he's going to get sprung if he keeps taking these shots and Thigpen is an ideal replacement for Gailey's offense.

They shouldn't miss a beat with him. That beat may still be getting embarrassed by the Patriots and Jets, but at least Gailey won't have any excuses because Thigpen will execute his offense.

Edited by Dick Drawn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time you actually heard "Screen" from a Bills offense and didn't smack your forehead?

The number of TE touchdowns, screens, etc. is definitely exciting this year out of camp.

Flashes memories of TT and Pete Metzelaars

preseason enthusiasm from our players is good stuff while it lasts...

Chan seems to trying to stay realistic when speaking but i think even he is getting caught up in the wave of hope

Surfs up!

You gotta have dreams, or all you will have is nightmares!

At the very least, our offense was more exciting last year than the DJ era, hopefully Parrish is back up to speed, Spiller expands his abilities and Smith brings an extra quirk.

Really, our offense was/is fine... I think everything rides on our defense this year.

Spiller and Parish have yet to make many plays in space. Gailey's offense was anything but unpredictable. See play calling in all 3 OT losses.

I wasn't fond of the play calling in the Ot losses, but the play calling should've won us the Pitt game. We were driving vs the ravens when the refs forgot what forward momentum looks like when Shawn Nelson got stripped. I wouldnt blame the losses in OT on the play calling.

I am also a glass is half full guy....its no secret.

Last year I KNEW we were do for a down year.....the year before that one as well because I just didnt buy into the TO is savior hype.

But this team just has a different feel to it to me......

- It starts with Nix.....and like most other fans I didn't like it when we were not super active in free agency.....but then I remembered how it was done in San Diego....they DRAFTED most of those guys.....and every year

even though they didn't make it to the super bowl they were always in the playoffs. If there is one thing that I have complete trust in it is the ability of Buddy Nix to recognize talent. And his draft strategy has made sense to me both years. Spiller WAS the right pick in that draft because he was the most talent player on the board at that time.....and people that argue that we had Lynch and Jackson.....well Lynch is one screw up away from a year suspension and things were not going well with him......also while he can move piles and is a thumper FAR too often he was dancing in the backfield and getting taken down behind the line. Jackson was a nice find but we didn't exactly get him at the beginning of his career.....he is still a productive player but he has some wear and tear now.

- Then there is Gailey.....Chan Gailey has made this offense fun to watch again.....its not predictable....it moves up and down the field.....and last year it started scoring more points...TOUCHDOWNS instead of field goals. If our defense wasnt so bad they would have had a opportunity to score even more.

- It is still just training camp.....but it has a different feel to me here. I think we are competative this year if we dont get screwed over by the injury bug.

I don't recall the last time I heard anyone describe the Buffalo offense as "explosive" -- certainly not since Bledsoe's first year when Moulds and Price were wreaking havoc the first half of the season.

I've now read and heard quotes from multiple Bills (Stevie, Wood, Fitz, Jackson) in which they talk about the potential "explosiveness" of the offense. Whether the fans and media want to believe or not, this teams gives the impression they really believe they're going to put big numbers on the board. Everyone's talking about being comfortable in Gailey's offense and just getting the timing down.

I dunno -- of course I'm a perennial optimist, but hearing stuff like this is exciting to me, and a nice break from the "realists" who want to complain about how horrible everything is.

Johnson and Jackson were pretty explosive last season, don't you think?

I'm also expecting Dareus to be very explosive.

Maybe it's nothing more than a new buzzword, hearing "high motor" about guys that never do jack gets really old, so from the standpoint of not hearing about how any of our guys have high motors, it's refreshing as a starter to that extent.

I expect similar explosiveness from Jackson and Johnson this season, and Dareus too.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I am also a glass is half full guy....its no secret.

Last year I KNEW we were do for a down year.....the year before that one as well because I just didnt buy into the TO is savior hype.

But this team just has a different feel to it to me......

- It starts with Nix.....and like most other fans I didn't like it when we were not super active in free agency.....but then I remembered how it was done in San Diego....they DRAFTED most of those guys.....and every year

even though they didn't make it to the super bowl they were always in the playoffs. If there is one thing that I have complete trust in it is the ability of Buddy Nix to recognize talent. And his draft strategy has made sense to me both years. Spiller WAS the right pick in that draft because he was the most talent player on the board at that time.....and people that argue that we had Lynch and Jackson.....well Lynch is one screw up away from a year suspension and things were not going well with him......also while he can move piles and is a thumper FAR too often he was dancing in the backfield and getting taken down behind the line. Jackson was a nice find but we didn't exactly get him at the beginning of his career.....he is still a productive player but he has some wear and tear now.

- Then there is Gailey.....Chan Gailey has made this offense fun to watch again.....its not predictable....it moves up and down the field.....and last year it started scoring more points...TOUCHDOWNS instead of field goals. If our defense wasnt so bad they would have had a opportunity to score even more.

- It is still just training camp.....but it has a different feel to me here. I think we are competative this year if we dont get screwed over by the injury bug.

You lose all credibility when you start praising the Spiller pick. A top pick RB needs to be good right away. At 24 years old, the CJ Spiller show is now probably a 5 year show at this point, even if he pans out. This team desperately needed help at a positon like OT, where you can expect a top prospect to give you about a decade of good service.

As for Nix, he has the look of a confident man right now. If this team struggles to 6-10 we will see what the look in his eye is then. Two years of losing tends to put the stink of accountability on GM's and coaches. We saw this with Donahoe. He went from confident to desperate to paranoid. I think Buddy would sooner quit. I hope we don't get to see that.

Edited by Dick Drawn

I don't recall the last time I heard anyone describe the Buffalo offense as "explosive" -- certainly not since Bledsoe's first year when Moulds and Price were wreaking havoc the first half of the season.

I've now read and heard quotes from multiple Bills (Stevie, Wood, Fitz, Jackson) in which they talk about the potential "explosiveness" of the offense. Whether the fans and media want to believe or not, this teams gives the impression they really believe they're going to put big numbers on the board. Everyone's talking about being comfortable in Gailey's offense and just getting the timing down.

I dunno -- of course I'm a perennial optimist, but hearing stuff like this is exciting to me, and a nice break from the "realists" who want to complain about how horrible everything is.

It's all BS propaganda. What are they supposed to say?

"Yea...i dunno. We're getting used to the offense and we're kinda explosive."

Maybe they did get more explosive? Maybe not. But actions speak louder than words and we'll see it come Sundays. They can yap all they want about how much more improved they are but I'll believe it when I see it.

Listen buddy, I got your reality right here. The season starts real soon, anything can happen, don't stop Billievin!

I haven't heard so much talk of explosiveness sincs Trent Edwards was piloting the no-huddle during OTA's with TO and Lee Evans looking to become the top WR tandem in the league.

The word in TC last year about the offense was nowhere near "explosive." And the guy in charge now (Fitzy) was the worst looking QB to boot.

I wasn't fond of the play calling in the Ot losses, but the play calling should've won us the Pitt game. We were driving vs the ravens when the refs forgot what forward momentum looks like when Shawn Nelson got stripped. I wouldnt blame the losses in OT on the play calling.

The play-calling had little to do with the losses.

You lose all credibility when you start praising the Spiller pick. A top pick RB needs to be good right away. At 24 years old, the CJ Spiller show is now probably a 5 year show at this point, even if he pans out. This team desperately needed help at a positon like OT, where you can expect a top prospect to give you about a decade of good service.

As for Nix, he has the look of a confident man right now. If this team struggles to 6-10 we will see what the look in his eye is then. Two years of losing tends to put the stink of accountability on GM's and coaches. We saw this with Donahoe. He went from confident to desperate to paranoid. I think Buddy would sooner quit. I hope we don't get to see that.

I havent lost an ounce of credibility because I am RIGHT.....yes lets reach on a offensive linemen instead of taking a offensive weapon that can do it all....the problem with most people is they dont have any patience (which is actually understandable after a decade of losing) Spiller was not drafted for LAST year....if that was the case he would have gotten more then the token reps he received.....a guy like CJ has to be ON THE FIELD in order to show his worth and MOST running backs are not good blockers coming out of college. There have been several instances of a 1s round guy not being an immediate impact player in their first year. What offensive linemen should we have taken with the 9th overall pick the year CJ was drafted?

And as far as predicting a losing season.....how about we actually get there before deciding what Nix is going to look like.....he is going into his SECOND SEASON.....a little unfair if you ask me. And Donahoe was a arrogant idiot I am not ready to put Nix in the same boat with him.

I would love to see more screen passes from the Bills just like Thurman used to get from Kelly. I also want to see the Counter trey we used to run, when the Guards would pull and lead the way. Those were great plays.

I just spent a week in WNY and yes parts of Buffalo are run down and looking pretty crappy, but some of you people who live there are so negative, you force people away !!!

Have a little faith - go to church on Sunday, maybe God will open your heart!

The word in TC last year about the offense was nowhere near "explosive." And the guy in charge now (Fitzy) was the worst looking QB to boot.

Yeah, but training camp isn't offseason training. In the offseason there was much optimism about this dynamic passing game. I think you thought OTA meant camp. Not so. In camp things became clearer and when the acutal preseason games were played, it got UGLY.

When was the last time you actually heard "Screen" from a Bills offense and didn't smack your forehead?

The number of TE touchdowns, screens, etc. is definitely exciting this year out of camp.

Flashes memories of TT and Pete Metzelaars

The ;last time they ran screens with much frequency was probably 15-50 years ago when they had an OL that could execute a screen.

When you try to use castoffs and rejects on your OL, you are limited in what you can run effectively.

I havent lost an ounce of credibility because I am RIGHT....

Just so we are clear, you said CJ Spiller was the right pick. Who was the starting RB at the end of last year? Is CJ even the starter this year? Should you get a starter with your first round selection of a RB? I'm really lowering the bar down from All Pro (Chris Johnson) and HOF (Faulk) down to starter on the 28th ranked offense. Help me out about why CJ is so good?

Spiller used terms like that before last season.

I think there will be a leap in the offensive production though. I think there is a big difference in attitude when the players know that they have a QB that is capable. This year, all off-season and from the start of camp, they know that they will have a chance to win some games, and that it could be a FUN season instead of week to week humiliation.