Whitner

153 members have voted

1. 1. Are you sad to see Whitner go?

• Yes, he was talented
    • No, he was overrated

It's funny, I was perusing some 49ers message boards, and many of the fans seem to think (due in large part to his draft position) that he will be the second coming of Ronnie Lott. They feel that he has underachieved because he has been playing in Buffalo, and now he will flourish because he is playing in San Fransisco. I, personally, did not like Donte Whitner and was thrilled to see him leave. I was so sick and tired of watching opposing tight ends abuse 'little donte' week in and week out. Also, the Twitter thing got really annoying.

Good riddance IMO....he's somebody else's headache now.

I always hated Donte, I thought he had potential. But when you are first round pick you are held to a higher standard because of high expectations, and he didn't reach any of them. The only thing that Donte was good for was destroying recievers. Other than that he was bad in coverage and didn't help out at all on run defense.

It's funny, I was perusing some 49ers message boards, and many of the fans seem to think (due in large part to his draft position) that he will be the second coming of Ronnie Lott. They feel that he has underachieved because he has been playing in Buffalo, and now he will flourish because he is playing in San Fransisco. I, personally, did not like Donte Whitner and was thrilled to see him leave. I was so sick and tired of watching opposing tight ends abuse 'little donte' week in and week out. Also, the Twitter thing got really annoying.

Good riddance IMO....he's somebody else's headache now.

They must have thought Nate Clements was the next Deion Sanders!

You gotta feel somewhat for those fans, though--to go from absolute dominance for years to absolute irrelevancy so quickly.

He has talent (I would prefer to call it ability), but he also had the unfortunate expectations of being a number 8 pick . . . he just wasn't a high first round pick.

If he were a third round pick the Bills would still have been well justified in letting him walk. Let's not color this as if he were only disappointing because he was a high first round pick. The guy simply did not make plays and was a serious liability in coverage. When you are looking up at Tom Brady in your division, you need safeties that can make plays in coverage.

He was only ever overrated in the eyes of Levy. I think everyone can agree that he was the consensus whipping boy on TBD.

Heh, Ko Simpson. I forgot about him. I'm Ko Simpson with the Buffalo Bills and I am worth MILLIONS!

• 1 month later...

From the link above \/ \/ \/

But Whitner struggled in coverage for the Bills, allowing 38 completions on 53 attempts for 501 yards and 10 touchdowns, according to game charting by STATS LLC. Whitner was the targeted defender on more TD passes than any other player in the league in 2010.

This is why nobody should be sad to see him gone.

If he were a third round pick the Bills would still have been well justified in letting him walk. Let's not color this as if he were only disappointing because he was a high first round pick. The guy simply did not make plays and was a serious liability in coverage. When you are looking up at Tom Brady in your division, you need safeties that can make plays in coverage.

Good post. Just to add to what you've written, earlier in this thread someone posted a link to an article about Whitner. One sentence from that article really stood out to me.

Whitner was the targeted defender on more TD passes than any other player in the league in 2010.

Looks like Marv was a genius for picking this guy 8th overall, and the fans were idiots for thinking he was a reach! :wallbash: