NFL Channel props

bobinaz

I was watching the NFL Channel's Back to Football show this morning and they did the usual who's the team to beat in the AFC, blah, blah blah.

Well they then went on to talk about a team to watch for in the AFC and Brain Baldinger mentioned the Bills. He had some good things to say about how the O-line has Wood, Levitre, Hangartner, and with Bell improving. He said they don't have any head cases with egos, how the Bills improved as the 2010 season played on, with being a catch away from beating the Steelers. He talked about how the team and the fans are hungry, so on and so forth.

It was nice to finally hear something positive from the media about the Bills. But he had a point. Now I know there are some of you that are whining that Nix and the front office are sitting on their hands and not doing anything in free agency, while the other teams in our division are signing players left and right.

But in my opinion, let them sign all these players. I look at it this way, the Bills did a major overhaul last year; new coaches, new play book, new defensive scheme, got rid of some dead wood. We saw as the year went on, they did improve, granted not in the W column, but lost some heartbreakers. This year they can build off of last year, the players know the system, can may some tweeks here and there, add some new wrinkles. The players are familiar with eachother, know what to expect. We have some players who were hurt last year, ie Merriman, that can come in and do what they were signed for. We don't have to worry about all these new players having to adjust and learn a new system. We brought in DW to coach the LBs and quite frankly, probably have a bigger influence on the defense than what's been admitted.

Everyone is 0-0 right now. Who's to say that the new players the Jets, Fins, and Pats are signing are even going to have an impact? Yeah, they may all look great on paper, but put them on the field. Colin Cowherd had said something last week about free agency. The FAs that are moving around are doing so becuase they have a flaw, some major, some very minor. They're like the sexy, single blonde at the bar. There's a reason she's single. Look at how many players are being jettisoned from the different teams. Ok so if it's for more money, that's their perogative, but are they really worth it. Poz was mediocre at best despite have led in tackles. Whitner cried too much. Would you have broke the bank to keep Poz? Whitner is still out there, probably deciding which unemployement line to get in to.

I want to give Nix and Gailey the benefit of the doubt. They've been in the business a long time and I think they know what they're doing. We all knew it was going to take a few years for the team to get it turned around. Look at the draft picks. Much improved from a few years ago. I truly expect to see better things from the team this year, especially on defense. If the D can stop the run, get off the field, then they'll hold up longer in the end and put the games away. DW was brought in for a reason and I think you'll see the difference.

Call me optimistic or having blind faith, but I'm on board with the team and how they're conducting business this year. I'm a BILLS fan, to the core. I'm not a bandwagon fan, I don't hope on board when they start winning. And for those of you who post, "I'm threw with this team", adios amigos. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Nice post, Bob.

As a wise man once almost said: Optimism in the defense of fandom is no vice, and pessimism in the name of realism is no virtue.

I'm going to steal that one, RJ. I've got a new line to add to the sig.

you can't win without great players, but great players have to come from somewhere, and even more-so they have to work well within your system, and the other 52 guys on the roster. I am not ecstatic that we haven't gone out and spent some money on some big name offensive linemen either. But great players have to start somewhere, and we have a ton of young, unproven players on the roster. Since Buddy Nix is building through the draft, all we can do now is sit back and see what develops. Regardless of what happens in the rest of the division, I think, just for now, I'd like to see some of these guys play ball that we have on our roster. Geez, half of the roster hasn't even completed a full season yet so it's hard to want to give up on them.

Good original post, i am still on the wagon(more like shackled to it) for now, but these guys better show me the baby soon.

I was watching the NFL Channel's Back to Football show this morning and they did the usual who's the team to beat in the AFC, blah, blah blah.

Well they then went on to talk about a team to watch for in the AFC and Brain Baldinger mentioned the Bills. He had some good things to say about how the O-line has Wood, Levitre, Hangartner, and with Bell improving. He said they don't have any head cases with egos, how the Bills improved as the 2010 season played on, with being a catch away from beating the Steelers. He talked about how the team and the fans are hungry, so on and so forth.

It was nice to finally hear something positive from the media about the Bills. But he had a point. Now I know there are some of you that are whining that Nix and the front office are sitting on their hands and not doing anything in free agency, while the other teams in our division are signing players left and right.

But in my opinion, let them sign all these players. I look at it this way, the Bills did a major overhaul last year; new coaches, new play book, new defensive scheme, got rid of some dead wood. We saw as the year went on, they did improve, granted not in the W column, but lost some heartbreakers. This year they can build off of last year, the players know the system, can may some tweeks here and there, add some new wrinkles. The players are familiar with eachother, know what to expect. We have some players who were hurt last year, ie Merriman, that can come in and do what they were signed for. We don't have to worry about all these new players having to adjust and learn a new system. We brought in DW to coach the LBs and quite frankly, probably have a bigger influence on the defense than what's been admitted.

Everyone is 0-0 right now. Who's to say that the new players the Jets, Fins, and Pats are signing are even going to have an impact? Yeah, they may all look great on paper, but put them on the field. Colin Cowherd had said something last week about free agency. The FAs that are moving around are doing so becuase they have a flaw, some major, some very minor. They're like the sexy, single blonde at the bar. There's a reason she's single. Look at how many players are being jettisoned from the different teams. Ok so if it's for more money, that's their perogative, but are they really worth it. Poz was mediocre at best despite have led in tackles. Whitner cried too much. Would you have broke the bank to keep Poz? Whitner is still out there, probably deciding which unemployement line to get in to.

I want to give Nix and Gailey the benefit of the doubt. They've been in the business a long time and I think they know what they're doing. We all knew it was going to take a few years for the team to get it turned around. Look at the draft picks. Much improved from a few years ago. I truly expect to see better things from the team this year, especially on defense. If the D can stop the run, get off the field, then they'll hold up longer in the end and put the games away. DW was brought in for a reason and I think you'll see the difference.

Call me optimistic or having blind faith, but I'm on board with the team and how they're conducting business this year. I'm a BILLS fan, to the core. I'm not a bandwagon fan, I don't hope on board when they start winning. And for those of you who post, "I'm threw with this team", adios amigos. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

i kinda feel the same way. it was hard watching ESPN and the NFL network the past week. it was all about the jets, eagles, cowboys etc, was nice to hear someting, ANYTHING, about the bills! the fact it was positive was great. i do feel that they will be in it every week, lets just hope breaks come our way. excellant post!

Great post Bob and a few things I'd like to add:

The Jets love they are getting is completely unwarranted for one. They haven't done anything to better themselves from last year so far. They signed Cromartie and Holmes to new contracts (nothing new from last year), they picked up Plaxico which IMO who is still going to be good, but he has been out of football for 2 years and will be rusty. At the end of they day he will not be any better than Edwards who they let walk. And why is it that when Brad Smith was on the Jets everyone thought he was such a big deal, yet when the Bills pick him up it's nothing spectacular. Jets had horrible special teams last year and it just got worse.

The Dolphins let Crowder go, Ronnie Brown go and decided to keep thier horrible QB in Henne. They signed Reggie Bush who has proven to be not extremely durable and are expecting to do something he's never done before, run the ball 25 snaps a game. And they brought back Jason Taylor. This guys balls are like dusty prunes he's so old. What are they really expecting to get out of him???

The Patriots on paper got better. They lost a few guys in Moss, Banta-Cain, Warren but picked up Ocho-Cinco and Haynesworth. I personally think they are going to be upgrades at those positions for them but both of these guys are either past thier primes, or getting there fast. At the end of the day, I personally feel like the New England luster has worn off. They are not as good as they used to be and are only on the downside of thier brilliant dynasty. Bill Belicheck is getting too cocky thinking he is a genius while trading away day 1 draft picks for like 38 3rd a d 4th rounders. And to be honest, you find the Pats have a bunch of Reggie Corner type players. With Brady on the downside of his career it's only a matter of time before thier run is over. That's unless BB trades every single draft pick this upcoming offseason so that he can get Andrew Luck this spring.

I'm not saying I think we are better than any of these teams but the Jets didn't get better, the Dolphins stayed where they were at best, and the Pats are unknown but with Brady being around 32 they are on thier way out very soon.

Flame away everyone.

I agree that I think the Bills will be much better, and I can see them going 8-8. No that's not the playoffs but they will be knocking on that door and get more respect this year than people think. If they won those 3 over time games, they would have been 7-9, and if Trent didn't play at first they would have most likely won those games as well. Would've could've should've but if they did that last year with such a bad defense, what will happen this year? I totally agree DW will really improve the defense with assignments and the talent improvement will really show this year. I agree that the Bills will go from a dud to a respectable team this year.

For what it's worth, on his radio show in Philadelphia yesterday, the same Brian Baldinger repeatedly referred to Buffalo as a place that nobody wants to go as a FA and a franchise that won't win. I don't have a link so don't ask.

I dont consider that as a knock, necessarily. It is just the truth. Until or unless we get an owner like Pegs in here who will spend money to try and win titles, we will have to try and build through the draft and sign smart, less expensive FA's. Those are facts that we just have to accept, IMO. Been that way for nearly 40 years near as I can tell...

Great post Bob and a few things I'd like to add:

The Jets love they are getting is completely unwarranted for one. They haven't done anything to better themselves from last year so far. They signed Cromartie and Holmes to new contracts (nothing new from last year), they picked up Plaxico which IMO who is still going to be good, but he has been out of football for 2 years and will be rusty. At the end of they day he will not be any better than Edwards who they let walk. And why is it that when Brad Smith was on the Jets everyone thought he was such a big deal, yet when the Bills pick him up it's nothing spectacular. Jets had horrible special teams last year and it just got worse.

The Dolphins let Crowder go, Ronnie Brown go and decided to keep thier horrible QB in Henne. They signed Reggie Bush who has proven to be not extremely durable and are expecting to do something he's never done before, run the ball 25 snaps a game. And they brought back Jason Taylor. This guys balls are like dusty prunes he's so old. What are they really expecting to get out of him???

The Patriots on paper got better. They lost a few guys in Moss, Banta-Cain, Warren but picked up Ocho-Cinco and Haynesworth. I personally think they are going to be upgrades at those positions for them but both of these guys are either past thier primes, or getting there fast. At the end of the day, I personally feel like the New England luster has worn off. They are not as good as they used to be and are only on the downside of thier brilliant dynasty. Bill Belicheck is getting too cocky thinking he is a genius while trading away day 1 draft picks for like 38 3rd a d 4th rounders. And to be honest, you find the Pats have a bunch of Reggie Corner type players. With Brady on the downside of his career it's only a matter of time before thier run is over. That's unless BB trades every single draft pick this upcoming offseason so that he can get Andrew Luck this spring.

I'm not saying I think we are better than any of these teams but the Jets didn't get better, the Dolphins stayed where they were at best, and the Pats are unknown but with Brady being around 32 they are on thier way out very soon.

Flame away everyone.

Agreed. I'm not that impressed with the AFC East moves. I think the Bills are doing the right thing and building correctly.

You actually made me feel better. Honestly, your's is the first insightful, positive "Non-Homer" post that I have read in a long time. I hope that you are right as I have been pretty down on the team for a while after being their #1 Fan.

Keep the positive vibes going....

For what it's worth, on his radio show in Philadelphia yesterday, the same Brian Baldinger repeatedly referred to Buffalo as a place that nobody wants to go as a FA and a franchise that won't win. I don't have a link so don't ask.

The Bills were 4-12 last year. What kind of positive stories do you Pollyanna's want? The Bills got all the press 20 years ago when they had star players and actually won a lot of games.

The Bills have to prove they are not losers, then you'll get the positive stories.