Maybin Seeks Knowledge from Talley

BobbyC81

So far Maybin has contributed one costly penalty on special teams, one drive sustaining roughing the passer penalty (which lead to a TD I believe) and one big time celebration after a routine tackle while losing by 20 points. Purely looking at stats, Jamarcus Russel and Joey Harrington are hall of fame candidates compared to Maybin. Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith and Alex Smith are all above average in comparison. No team in professional sports has gotten less production from a top 10 draft pick since Len Bias with the Celtics. And given the negative production on Maybin's stat line, even that's sort of a toss up.

Worst draft pick in sports history.

Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith and Alex Smith are all above average in comparison.

All candidates for the Wall of Shame?? Actually, Alex Smith's season when Norv Turner was OC was pretty good with like 18 TDs and 10 INTs. Leaf & Akili were worthless.

Bills actually have quite a few Hall of Shame candidates with Walt Patulski as overall #1, Mike Williams & Flowers.

All candidates for the Wall of Shame?? Actually, Alex Smith's season when Norv Turner was OC was pretty good with like 18 TDs and 10 INTs. Leaf & Akili were worthless.

Bills actually have quite a few Hall of Shame candidates with Walt Patulski as overall #1, Mike Williams & Flowers.

Unlike Maybin, all the other players you've mentioned got off the bench, had several career starts. Maybin has been a healthy scratch for most of his career. Compare the career stats of any of the other major busts to Maybin and they blow him away.

I'm sorry, but I can believe that Maybin has a very quick metabolism. What I can't believe is that with access to world class nutritionists, trainers, training facilities, and all the perfect foods and supplements, he still cannot add to his frame. I just wonder if it has more to do with the fact he wants that 2% body fat, fitness magazine cover type of physique he can show off on South Beach vs. being a real NFL linebacker....

I have no real vested interest in the success of Maybin but if he did manage to become a great player, it would be great to see some of the heads on posters explode.

C'mon man, "a great player"? It's obvious that he will never be that. Let's hope he can become an average player. That alone would blow our collective minds.

I'm glad he's talking to Talley. No one has ever complained about Maybin's work ethic, etc. He has the desire and attitude to be a good NFL LB. The only real questions is whether he has the skills. I think we'll find out soon. If not, they should try him at a different position like TE (assuming he can catch).

Chan has indeed alluded to work ethic issues with Maybin. Howe many times has he said "it is up to him" and "he has the talent".

What has Maybin done to bulk up and play the run? I dont' see the desire or the attitude at all. Childish celebrations for making 4th quarter sacks against 5th string players in preseason games. That is all I have seen of Maybin.

OK, he also does the occcasional piling on after a tackle, let not forget that either.

Edited by Bob in STL

Gailey has said its not a lack of effort. Ill try to find the press conference

my impression has been that he works very hard, but maybe not in the most effective ways (ie doesnt get the big picture even if he wants to do well)..... and that his body just flat out isnt made to be a OLB/DE at this level.

not a knock on his character, but more that he just wasnt cut out for the situation he has found himself in. He was blessed with athleticism but not the body to do what he wants with it, and maybe doesnt get the game on its fullest level.

Cant blame the man for taking the money, or living a good life on it as a young guy..... but we can fault the front office for giving it to him.

I'm sorry, but I can believe that Maybin has a very quick metabolism. What I can't believe is that with access to world class nutritionists, trainers, training facilities, and all the perfect foods and supplements, he still cannot add to his frame. I just wonder if it has more to do with the fact he wants that 2% body fat, fitness magazine cover type of physique he can show off on South Beach vs. being a real NFL linebacker....

my impression is that his bone structure is such that it doesnt lend itself to the higher weight unless he kills himself (likely with roids before the combine) trying to get up there. If you remember, at the higher weight he lost all speed, and I wonder if he would breakdown with all that weight on him trying to play. Wasnt there something about him having an obscenely small waist (in the order of like 28-30") among other anecdotal evidence that his body just isnt going to get bigger naturally from hard work and diet?

Chan has indeed alluded to work ethic issues with Maybin. Howe many times has he said "it is up to him" and "he has the talent".

What has Maybin done to bulk up and play the run? I dont' see the desire or the attitude at all. Childish celebrations for making 4th quarter sacks against 5th string players in preseason games. That is all I have seen of Maybin.

OK, he also does the occcasional piling on after a tackle, let not forget that either.

i get the idea that its not that he doesnt want to do the work but that the light hasnt come on for him when he makes those comments. The difference between being a slacker, and not understanding what his role is, priorities for his work etc....

Edited by NoSaint

"Erin, er I mean Aaron, take some of that 'money you haven't earned' and invest in some McDonalds locations. McDonald's, thats what I did when I was done with football. You should be done in 3-4 weeks. Owning a few McDonald's is a good investment" - D. Talley

Gailey has said its not a lack of effort. Ill try to find the press conference

I think he said that Maybin was a hard worker and that he didn't want anyone to think he didn't work hard. No doubt he stays in great aerobic condition.

My take on Maybin is that Gailey thinks he's uncoachable. He thinks he is much more talented than he actually is, and doesn't understand how to be a tough player at the NFL level.

I posted in the winter about the comparison between Maybin and Cameron Wake. Maybin and Wake have similar frames and similar workout numbers coming out of college.

Maybin got rich.

Wake went undrafted and learned, in his words "toughness, versatility and want-to".

Maybin clearly is not tough and is useless as a special teamer even. Special teams is all about want-to. None of these things requires a great deal of talent, so his being over-rated as an athlete is irrelevant to his near complete worthlessness on the field.

I mean......basically, the guy is the anti-Wake.

I think he said that Maybin was a hard worker and that he didn't want anyone to think he didn't work hard. No doubt he stays in great aerobic condition.

My take on Maybin is that Gailey thinks he's uncoachable. He thinks he is much more talented than he actually is, and doesn't understand how to be a tough player at the NFL level.

I posted in the winter about the comparison between Maybin and Cameron Wake. Maybin and Wake have similar frames and similar workout numbers coming out of college.

Maybin got rich.

Wake went undrafted and learned, in his words "toughness, versatility and want-to".

Maybin clearly is not tough and is useless as a special teamer even. Special teams is all about want-to. None of these things requires a great deal of talent, so his being over-rated as an athlete is irrelevant to his near complete worthlessness on the field.

I mean......basically, the guy is the anti-Wake.

That's what I think the story is...

Kid went from backup to top ten talent in a matter of weeks with big games against small schools. In august he expected to be on the bench and by January he all but had 25m in his pocket. Couple that with being really young and probably used to things coming naturally-- I'm sure he's working hard but it's easy to believe he never learned how to be a man or a football player instead of just a kid that runs fast and gets more from his workouts than the other kids on his HS team.

Couple that with him being smaller than some receivers (pretty close to being as big as plaxico) and you'd think it would've been obvious.

'Buffalo News reports: '"When someone has accomplished as much in this game as Darryl, you just want to soak everything you can," Maybin said. "I've pretty much been getting up under him, talking to him as much as possible and asking him pretty much every question I can think of."'

I hope Aaron asked him how to light a fire under his arse.

Too little too late.