Sully: Bills need OT

Scrappy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually one of the better JS opinion pieces, he should have compared them to the Sabres though and it would have made more of an impact on how cheap RW appears to be lol.

I do agree that the Bills need a swing or RT but they may find one yet. Clabo just used them and after him there wasn't anyone who is all that much worth the $ they will be trying to/did get. I am not at all convinced Harris is all that much better than Pears. I do have some faith Nix is still working on this. Let's see what happens by the end of camp and into preseason/ cut down days. It aint over yet.

Yeah we need an OT but Sully suggests Flo Adams and that makes no kinda sense - 36 and in fairly rapid decline is not a good fit for a young team, Ryan Harris might make sense but I've seen reviews of him that were pretty negative - Starks, Andrews, Gaither, and perhaps Vernon Carey all are quality big men with injuries- Langston Walker is a pretty good run blocker and a below average pass blocker, Herman Johnson is a huge guy with good athletic ability but can't keep his weight in check and might not be the most mentally ready guy. Then you are down to guys like Ryan Cook and is he really better than the guys you got? maybe, he has started more games then any of our contenders.

There's a new collective bargaining agreement, but that doesn't mean Ralph Wilson is ready to throw around piles of money. For one thing, the Bills aren't obligated to spend a set amount on salaries this season. There is no salary floor for individual teams in the first two years of the new agreement.

Under the new CBA, total league salaries must be 99 percent of the cap, which is expected to be $120 million a team. The free spenders (Philadelphia, the Jets, et al.) will get the league to that figure by spending well over the cap and pushing costs into the future.

OK - so there's no cap then at all for teams for this year and next? And relative to the last sentence - how in the world would they manage a requirement for all teams collectively to be at 99% with no individual team floor? If they are at 97% say, who do they make spend to get to the min?

Edited by stevewin

This will come as a surprise to folks out side of Western NY, but most teams don't need a gun pointed at their heads to spend more money. Lots of them are motivated by the desire to win and want the best players that money can buy.

I know, crazytown.

HIS WHOLE ARTICLE IS BASED ON THE BELEIF CLABO WASNT OFFERED AS MUCH by the bills as atlanta,,what a jerk,,the bills offered more.... but sold clabo on the idea that hes part of their push to a superbowl, which they're trying hard for with more free agent aquisitions such as ray edwards ,,clabo went with what he knows passing on bigger $$$$.. its that simple..

not that sully ever understood that ,but he should've considering what a simpleton he is :wallbash:

oh yeah, flozell has been playing with a bad back for years..

Scrappy, are you sure you aren't Jerry Sullivan?? :P

When I noticed the post was from you, I knew it would be negative. Sorry, just calling it as I see it, must be a terrible way to go through life....

I'm more of a homer than him & I did not make his title my own. He has a valid point about needing a OT & that's where I find the value in this piece, the rest we know.

OK - so there's no cap then at all for teams for this year and next? And relative to the last sentence - how in the world would they manage a requirement for all teams collectively to be at 99% with no individual team floor? If they are at 97% say, who do they make spend to get to the min?

There's a cap ceiling, no floor. The 99% has to be spent on a cash basis, not cap dollars. The 2% would be evenly split across the board and paid in dollars to the players union. No team would actually have to spend the money on a player.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I'm more of a homer than him & I did not make his title my own. He has a valid point about needing a OT & that's where I find the value in this piece, the rest we know.

So what available OT do you propose we sign? It's easy to B word and moan without offering any realistic solutions.

Typical Sully (yawn). Probably felt the need to counterbalance DiCesare's column from the day before. Is he citing a source regarding Clabo or just assuming? Fact-checking seems to be something Jerry Sunshine is exempt

There's a cap ceiling, no floor. The 99% has to be spent on a cash basis, not cap dollars. The 2% would be evenly split across the board and paid in dollars to the players union. No team would actually have to spend the money on a player.

What if the teams overspend their caps? What teams get forced to cut players?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Thought I was going to read an interesting thread.Then I saw who wrote the article and the reaction in me was NEXT!!!

What a waste he is.

I hear you. I saw the article linked on the home page, clicked on it and saw "Jerry Sullivan," and immediately closed it.

I don't think you need to be an "expert"(yeah right) to know the Bill's have a weak OL. Some Bills fans and local writers "rave" about Bell, but he his only good in Buffalo Bills standards. I doubt he starts for another team, at least a winning one.

I am not smashing Bell, he holds his own and was a good pick up as a late round draft pick. He just doesn't open up running holes, and can't match up against top level pass rushers. To have a solid offense, requires this position to be ABOVE AVERAGE.

Having said that, pouring money into random free agents (like Dockery, or Walker)doesn't magically fix the problem. Neither would a washed up, penalty machine like Flozell. They need to fix this through the draft, or by spending money on real talent (they tried with Clabo).

I like Wood at center, but the rest of the OL hasn't shown much.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I know some people real close to Jerry and have met him a few times and we talked football. I think it was at the Wellington Pub if I'm not mistaken, but I could be wrong I've been out of the Buffalo area for 16 years. Anyway, the crazy thing is he believes these crazy articles himself. He's not just writing this stuff trying to get a reaction not caring if it's negative or positive.

His conspiracy theory is getting harder and harder to believe. He actually wants me to believe that a 92 year old man is worried about 10 million dollars or so? Or that while he's clearly struggling to even get around these days, he musters up enough energy to tell Russ Brandon on a daily basis "don't you dare spend to that cap"? He actually wants me to believe that Nix and Gailey are doing their jobs to no avail and in vain because the owner will never let the team win?

It's simple folks, the teams that spend the most money on FA's don't translate into championships. That is a fact. The Bills went after the top two RT's in Colon and Clabo, they decided to re-sign with their division winning super bowl contending teams. Thats a fact. The Bills have been confirmed to have made an offer to Poz and some of the other top LB's in this years FA class. That is also a fact. Stop believing these crazy articles. Even if we gave Clabo 10% more and offered him 5 years 27.5 million he probably would have stayed. Well how much more over value do you want to pay conspiracy guys, 20% - 30% - more?

Nix has stood by his words plural. He is not going to overspend for FA's just to get them to come to Buffalo. Whether you agree with him or not he believes that leads to an eventual demise. He's going to build through the draft and sign free agents that don't mortgage the future or our ability to sign our own guys ie Stevie Johnson. He's in his second year at the helm and I for one believe he's doing all the right things. For those of you who still don't get it, we have to start over with him. Give this football man and the outstanding staff he's put together some time to build this team.

Edited by Triple Threat

I hear you. I saw the article linked on the home page, clicked on it and saw "Jerry Sullivan," and immediately closed it.

The grand irony here is that I find as much fault with Sully's alleged analysis and poor (in my humble opinion) writing style that ironically I thought this was one of his better pieces.

I guess mostly this is because the best of Sully is not that high of a standard.