Now is the time to go after Crowder

The "if" being if he replaces either Reggie Torbor, or even Andra Davis on the roster when the season begins. I think we need to build through the draft, and want the youngsters to develop. I'm especially high on Sheppard. But Crowder next to Barnett for a year or two (instead of one of the other two vets) would make this LB crew pretty tough and nasty. Crowder is the perfect complement to Barnett. And a line-up of Kelsay - Barnett - Crowder - Merriman could be pretty solid, and possibly very good. Suddenly a weakness could be a strength.

Davis was somewhat needed before Barnett came aboard because we needed a veteran who could call the defenses. He's no longer nearly as necessary, although he will start alongside Barnett barring injury. The player Crowder should replace, IMO, would be Torbor, whose versatility, his main (and only) attribute, is also severely diminished with the Barnett signing, who can play all downs and in all packages if need be.

Crowder can likely be had pretty cheap right now. He knows the defense, and is a smart player. Despite the fact that he says crazy ****, he's not nearly the knucklehead that people think he is. And the Miami reporters who actually know him, from what I just read, love the guy, and say you cannot find a player who is nicer to fans and people on the street.

Buddy keeps saying if he can find a player that makes our team better, we'll get him. Well, Crowder for Torbor or Davis will make this team better.

A big NO on Crowder. If you want another ILB, go after Tatupu.

We need a big run stuffer to play opposite Barnett. Lofa plays the same position as Barnett. Crowder complements Barnett.

With merriman crowder and Barnett we'd have some attitude and charisma. I'd be curious about the chemistry with Kelsay. Odd man out much?

Kelsay is a necessary evil until we find a OLB that can play the run and contain. We cannot play Moats and Merriman at the same time, we would get killed.

I'd be okay with Crowder. Not a pro bowler but better than Davis.

Care to quantify how or why?

We need a big run stuffer to play opposite Barnett. Lofa plays the same position as Barnett. Crowder complements Barnett.

Kelsay is a necessary evil until we find a OLB that can play the run and contain. We cannot play Moats and Merriman at the same time, we would get killed.

I totally understand. Just noting how different kelsays outward personality is next to barnett merriman and crowder. Didn't say a word about moats.

Care to quantify how or why?

I feel that Davis has gotten slow and not making big plays. Not saying Crowder is that much beter. Bottom line for me if Crowder or Tatupa upgrades the positon I'm for it, if not keep moving.

I totally understand. Just noting how different kelsays outward personality is next to barnett merriman and crowder. Didn't say a word about moats.

A big NO on Crowder. If you want another ILB, go after Tatupu.

a 43 mlb who has no knees, okay. crowder for torbor would be a great move.

Davis/Crowder/White , Barnett/Sheppard

Nice depth at ILB if we do that

Edited by bills_red

LB Channing Crowder

In another example of a team swapping out talents, the Dolphins signed Kevin Burnett to replace Crowder at ILB. It’s arguable to me if that is an upgrade, as Crowder had a +14.0 run stop rating in 2010 despite missing five games. He had a positive run D rating in all but one game, and his -0.7 pass coverage rating doesn’t make him much of a liability in the pass game. He is definitely a player with some game left in him for a 3-4 defense.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/30/free-agency-2011-ten-cuts-to-watch/

The "if" being if he replaces either Reggie Torbor, or even Andra Davis on the roster when the season begins. I think we need to build through the draft, and want the youngsters to develop. I'm especially high on Sheppard. But Crowder next to Barnett for a year or two (instead of one of the other two vets) would make this LB crew pretty tough and nasty. Crowder is the perfect complement to Barnett. And a line-up of Kelsay - Barnett - Crowder - Merriman could be pretty solid, and possibly very good. Suddenly a weakness could be a strength.

Davis was somewhat needed before Barnett came aboard because we needed a veteran who could call the defenses. He's no longer nearly as necessary, although he will start alongside Barnett barring injury. The player Crowder should replace, IMO, would be Torbor, whose versatility, his main (and only) attribute, is also severely diminished with the Barnett signing, who can play all downs and in all packages if need be.

Crowder can likely be had pretty cheap right now. He knows the defense, and is a smart player. Despite the fact that he says crazy ****, he's not nearly the knucklehead that people think he is. And the Miami reporters who actually know him, from what I just read, love the guy, and say you cannot find a player who is nicer to fans and people on the street.

Buddy keeps saying if he can find a player that makes our team better, we'll get him. Well, Crowder for Torbor or Davis will make this team better.

I couldn't agree more. This is a no brainer type move. Crowder would be a temporary upgrade until they can either draft his replacement or find a better one. He's better than Torbor -- sure he'd be more expensive but they have the room to make it happen without killing themselves if they cut him next year.

Are they even rumored to be looking at him? I haven't been keeping up with the rumor mill.

Would be nice but probably won't happen, buddy doesnt want to take reps from the new guys. If this doesn't workout we can draft Luke kuechly from Boston College who supposed to be the greatest ILB prospect in ten years.

Seriously? If Kelsay starts at OLB we will get killed, moats played well last year and he will be better this year.