Any Chance we Sign Whitner back

Nasty

Just wondering if there is any chance we sign Whitner back. I think our secondary is going to be tested much more this year then in the past since our D-line is getting bigger and better and more equiped to stop the run. I feel our secondary is in for it. I would like Antonio more if we can get him, but I will also settle for Whitner (just for his hitting especially the hitting on #85 in NE). Whitner Byrd McGee and Antonio would be nice with flo in the slot.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if there is any chance we sign Whitner back. I think our secondary is going to be tested much more this year then in the past since our D-line is getting bigger and better and more equiped to stop the run. I feel our secondary is in for it. I would like Antonio more if we can get him, but I will also settle for Whitner (just for his hitting especially the hitting on #85 in NE). Whitner Byrd McGee and Antonio would be nice with flo in the slot.

Hadn't thought of that. Certainly not at the $5M we offered.

PTR

Was just discussing Donte's status the other day.

At this point, Im not so sure that if he/his agent called the Bills and said "Ok, we'll take that last offer", that the Bills would even ask him back.

We dont even know if the Bills still have an offer on the table.

Donte may have tested the market right out of a job!

I personally, would like to see him back at SS with this much improved DL. But Im certainly not offering him $5-6mil/year like I was back in March. He better be ready to take a pay cut.

I'm not opposed, but your reasoning would be better if he excelled at pass coverage. With a better line and less in the box work he definitely would be better in that department I suppose tho.

I doubt it. Someone with an ego like his would be difficult to take an offer from the Bills that likely isn't even on the table at the moment. I think he'd rather drop his price for another team.

I agree. I heard he was getting interest from Dallas, Denver, Indy and Clevland. I bet he signs somewhere else. He will however probably be getting less than what the Bills offered pre-lockout. His ego exceeds him. Its unfortunate.

In a non - Whitner specific response, I'm wondering where all the Bill's money is going to? I know a team can come up with creative ways to spend 30 million, or whatever Buffalo had - it was one of the highest totals to spend in all the NFL. Anyway, when I look at Philly, for instance, at who they've signed, and then look at who we've signed - I wonder, if it is necessary to spend it all, where is it going to go to? Right now it looks like we still have plenty to drop on a TE, RT, and another LB even, if we keep making such modest deals.

I agree. I heard he was getting interest from Dallas, Denver, Indy and Clevland. I bet he signs somewhere else. He will however probably be getting less than what the Bills offered pre-lockout. His ego exceeds him. Its unfortunate.

I dunno- roman Harper juuust signed a huge deal. Just because you aren't signed day 1 doesn't mean you wont get paid.

In a non - Whitner specific response, I'm wondering where all the Bill's money is going to? I know a team can come up with creative ways to spend 30 million, or whatever Buffalo had - it was one of the highest totals to spend in all the NFL. Anyway, when I look at Philly, for instance, at who they've signed, and then look at who we've signed - I wonder, if it is necessary to spend it all, where is it going to go to? Right now it looks like we still have plenty to drop on a TE, RT, and another LB even, if we keep making such modest deals.

Clayton reported it is not necessary to spend it all until 2013.

Are you saying (or Clayton saying) the cap floor, whatever that is, is not required to be met until 2010?

THX

Just wanted to bump this thread as I am very curious about how there is no news about teams interested in Whitner. What a fall from grace for a former 1st rounder. I am again wondering if the Bills will be willing to have him back for a reasonable price (say 4 yr, $4 million each). I realize he is not a high impact player, but perhaps we should keep him till one of the rookies can prove themselves to be a worthy replacement.

It's interesting that Clayton said this, on Sirius (of course it was a couple days ago) they said teams did have to get to the ceiling, but not until the middle of the season.

So for example a team could get through this FA season, mini-camp and a few weeks in decide to resign their young players that they want to keep around...

Hopefully we'll re-up on Stevie, Kyle and Fitz at some point this year!

Not sure what the real deal is, but it's food for thought.

It's interesting that Clayton said this, on Sirius (of course it was a couple days ago) they said teams did have to get to the ceiling, but not until the middle of the season.

So for example a team could get through this FA season, mini-camp and a few weeks in decide to resign their young players that they want to keep around...

Hopefully we'll re-up on Stevie, Kyle and Fitz at some point this year!

Not sure what the real deal is, but it's food for thought.

Glad you bumped this. Couldnt find this thread and wanted to correct myself.

I misinterpreted Clayton's tweet and we cleared it up in another thread.

There is a minimum spend this year. It is 99%.

Clayton was referencing that it does not drop down to 89% until 2013.