Nick Barnett is a Bill!

Dan III

not really a nick barnett fan, but his contract is manageable and he's a solid nfl LB.

note: he's the reason why green bay gave up that 4th and 26 to philly that one year in the playoffs.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3yrs $12M is a really fair price, I never thought he would sign for less than 4-5 years. If he can stay healthy, it's a great deal.

It's not hockey...football contracts are not guaranteed. It is all about the upfront money in football.

The one point you are forgetting, which is why a good number of people will like the signing more than Poz, is that Barnett is not Poz. That's all the reasoning behind it.

Poz has better numbers, and even less injuries. And is younger, at an age where he is coming into his prime.

But we've all heard of Barnett from a good team, so therefore he is much better than Poz... :rolleyes:

I hope everyone pays close attention and counts all of the tackles Barnett makes in the offensive backfield, since we all know Fletcher Poz sucked because all his tackles came 5 yards downfield...

I wanted the Bills to re-sign Poz because I wanted to see what he could do behind Dareus and an improved d-line. But not for $7 million/ season. And while Green Bay did have much more talent than our defense with Poz, when healthy, Barnett was a much better player than Poz. Barnett played at pro bowl levels, was a playmaker, and was their leader on defense. Obviously the injuries are a huge concern, but 30 is not really old for LBs. My god, Spikes is still signing contracts.

The best part is that Barnett will be an excellent teacher for Sheppard. I love this move and think it is pretty low risk. Barnett plays with a ton of passion (which he has gotten criticized for, which is beyond dumb). Again assuming he can remain healthy, Barnett > Poz > Mitchell (Mitchell was never half of the player Barnett was).

It's not hockey...football contracts are not guaranteed. It is all about the upfront money in football.

Of which he got $6M guaranteed. And guarantees are tied to the length and amount of the contract. A 5 yr $20M+ contract would warrant a guarantee of $9M+, which is what makes this a great deal (if he stays healthy).

Really liking how Nix has been fairly aggressive this offseason...if we would have gotten Clabo, we would likely be in the top 3 or 4 most improved teams this offseason with the positions we have upgraded. As it is, we are probably in the top 10...

Really liking how Nix has been fairly aggressive this offseason...if we would have gotten Clabo, we would likely be in the top 3 or 4 most improved teams this offseason with the positions we have upgraded. As it is, we are probably in the top 10...

Yeah, Clabo would have be icing on the cake but can't blame the guy for staying in ATL. But this is a good start to the season.

Now, get the PEDs and HGH for Barnett and Merriman ready!!!

Its an interesting thought actually

Gave me a bit of a scare getting on here and not seeing a thread title announcing the deal, haha

Great posts by Dankenstein and by Kelly. We needed a veteran ILB in the worst way, and it's good to get a guy who knows how to lead and who knows how a winning team functions.

This defense looked lackadaisical sometimes. Between Barnett and Merriman (if he can still go) we may have some leadership in the LB corps-- for a moment i thought they might let merriman go it alone. Buddy did well within the budget. Go Bills

Edited by Big Bad Boone

solid pick up. low guaranteed money. if we get 1-2 good seasons out of him its a win-win. Andra Davis has 1 more year, so expect Barnett to move to his slot and Shep to step up next season. I like the move. he's probably a step below where he was a few years ago, but he has far more success in the league than Poz has. He has been a playmaker... The most important thing - We have another guy on our team with a SB Ring. Do NOT undervalue that. It is huge. Having grizzled vets who have not just been to the playoffs, but have won, that is a big deal. Nice to have another big name on Defense. Let's hope he is healthy. Frankly, a wrist injury doesn't freak me out as much as a knee (his ACL was a few years back). Shoot, Poz broke the same arm.. twice! i do wish I could have seen Poz and michael Jasper shoot trap and skeet together though. oh well.

solid pick up. low guaranteed money. if we get 1-2 good seasons out of him its a win-win. Andra Davis has 1 more year, so expect Barnett to move to his slot and Shep to step up next season. I like the move. he's probably a step below where he was a few years ago, but he has far more success in the league than Poz has. He has been a playmaker... The most important thing - We have another guy on our team with a SB Ring. Do NOT undervalue that. It is huge. Having grizzled vets who have not just been to the playoffs, but have won, that is a big deal. Nice to have another big name on Defense. Let's hope he is healthy. Frankly, a wrist injury doesn't freak me out as much as a knee (his ACL was a few years back). Shoot, Poz broke the same arm.. twice! i do wish I could have seen Poz and michael Jasper shoot trap and skeet together though. oh well.

He was on IR last year following week 4, so he was not part of Green Bay's Championship run, and although he earned a ring as a member of the team he did not participate in the post season.

Huh? We pretty well lost Poz & Whitner and signed Barnett & Brad Smith. Am I forgetting something spectacular that we did? With Brad being a good player, but not particular a need I dont see how much "better" we got other than the draft panning out which every team in the NFL hopes for.

Also, I'm sure its a pipe dream, but I would really love Channing Crowder to be a Bill now that we have Barnett. If the replacement for Poz was going to be Crowder I was against it, but with Barnett on the roster now I would like to see Crowder right next to him. Chan certainly isn't the type of coach to throw Sheppard right into the mix, and another veteran ILB would be nice in my opinion.

Edited by coseybedaman

The one point you are forgetting, which is why a good number of people will like the signing more than Poz, is that Barnett is not Poz. That's all the reasoning behind it.

Poz has better numbers, and even less injuries. And is younger, at an age where he is coming into his prime.

But we've all heard of Barnett from a good team, so therefore he is much better than Poz... :rolleyes:

I hope everyone pays close attention and counts all of the tackles Barnett makes in the offensive backfield, since we all know Fletcher Poz sucked because all his tackles came 5 yards downfield...

It's not so much that his tackles came down field as it is the runner usually dragged him an extra 5 yds before going down. I'd hoped he'd resign too, but at $7 mil/yr I'm not heartbroken that he's gone.

Also, I'm sure its a pipe dream, but I would really love Channing Crowder to be a Bill now that we have Barnett. If the replacement for Poz was going to be Crowder I was against it, but with Barnett on the roster now I would like to see Crowder right next to him. Chan certainly isn't the type of coach to throw Sheppard right into the mix, and another veteran ILB would be nice in my opinion.

I agree completely. Crowder's strength is stopping the run, which would make him an excellent complement to Barnett and allow for Sheppard to grow. Linebacker depth is necessary with 3-4 defenses and the more talent at the position, the better. Crowder's love for George Edwards is well documented, the only question mark is his repaired knees.

I agree completely. Crowder's strength is stopping the run, which would make him an excellent complement to Barnett and allow for Sheppard to grow. Linebacker depth is necessary with 3-4 defenses and the more talent at the position, the better. Crowder's love for George Edwards is well documented, the only question mark is his repaired knees.

I think Andra Davis is decent, and will be starting. I also think Torbor is average at best, although his value is his versatility. IMO, it would be a great move to sign Crowder, and then release Davis or Torbor, depending on how well Crowder looks in the 4-5 weeks before the season starts.

Awesome job Buddy.... Poz is over rated,. This guy is a proven player. Will teach our new draft pick a thing or two... Two nice FA signings.... More will be on the way.

Edited by coldstorage5

Yes I think we actually may still have a chance at Crowder because of the George Edwards connection. IMO he is a big upgrade from Davis or Torbor. Although the truth of the matter is that none of us really know how "decent" or how bad our linebackers from last year are, because the defensive line was so terrible. I dont think anyone can deny the defensive line in Buffalo is MUCH MUCH better than last year so in turn that will make the LB's look that much better. Also add Terrence McGee back healthy, Leodis hopefully entering his prime, and all of our safties (including Aaron Williams who can be used at any DB position) I think we have to be excited about our defense. LETS GET AN TIGHT END NOW! Even Daniel Fells would have been a real nice pickup. This is a huge year for tight ends so now would be the time if ever.