Bills will misuse Dareus

I love how angry everyone is about this; boy, us Bills fans really do have thin skin, huh?

If it was a logical, and factually correct criticism, Id say "well how about that, glad to learn". But when paid "professionals" make obviously invalid statements, it's a little annoying.

Plenty to rip on the Bills about, but dont make crap up and then laugh at the Bills like they are the only idiots in the room.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL Channel guys don't do any research evidently. I've caught them in many bold face un truths over the years.

However, I agree that we should put Dareus next to Kyle in a 4-3, pin his ears back, and tell him to sick 'em. Then we can also have one less LB on the field since we don't have many (if any) good ones.

Why does Nails in particular have such a difficult time understanding WTF the Bills are up to? Is he that misinformed or is he intentionally dogging the team? So let me help him out: Nix has said it, Gailey has said it, Edwards has said it, Wannie has said it...THE BILLS ARE GOING TO RUN A HYBRID!!! Unless they're all lying through their teeth, then a hybrid is what we'll see. 4-3, 3-4, maybe the old 4-6, and who knows, why not the 2-9 (okay, probably not that one). Dareus will be used in different positions depending on the defensive scheme at that moment. And he'll be moved around no matter the scheme, as his head coach and his GM have suggested since they drafted him. So, yeah, Nails and The Big Sapp are correct that he will play in the 5-technique...SOMETIMES!!

There are those who criticize Gailey. But I don't recall anybody ever saying he was stupid. He will put Dareus in the position for the team to succeed. I can't wait until the kid has 3 or 4 games under his belt and we see how he's used. That's the only way to shut up those two knuckleheads.

BTW, play the Chris Brown video with Dareus. Then play the one with Jasper. Either Brown shrunk or that kid is humongous.

Really, the only mistake I can think that we could make with this guy is to not play him.

Or, you know, expect too much out of him in his first year. From what I heard he's damn good, and I think that it was a smart pick to take him. But we can't expect him to instantly solve all of our run defense problems.

I know someone else on here said it as well, but if we go back to a 4-3 this year with Poz leaving hopefully the Bills can get Kyle Williams to support him.

I really like Sapp on the desk. I think he's excellent.

On the other hand, I can't stand Dukes. He basically said the same think about Dareus during the winter on their "32 teams in 32 days" stuff and when Stevie Johnson was on he ripped Fitz and the offence right to Stevie's face.

By the way, Dukes said he thought Donovan McNabb deserves a 5 year deal somewhere...I'm pretty sure they are friends, so that tells me all I need to know about Dukes' opinions.

The NFL Channel guys don't do any research evidently. I've caught them in many bold face un truths over the years.

However, I agree that we should put Dareus next to Kyle in a 4-3, pin his ears back, and tell him to sick 'em. Then we can also have one less LB on the field since we don't have many (if any) good ones.

He'll get plenty of chances in the 4-3. The best part of Dareus is that he has successfully played every position along the line. Whether we use him as a NT or DE in the 3-4, or DT in the 4-3, he'll be set. Only thing that might be questionable is if we use him as a 4-3 DE, but even then, Id be happier with him on the field, than sitting on the sidelines.

The boy can play in the trenches. Once the ball is snapped, doesnt matter where he is, he's hurtin someone.

Just in case anyone is looking for some film on our guy, and in light of the dummies on NFLN, I present to you a very good breakdown of Dareus's dominant performance in this year's bowl game.

Where he played the 5-tech LDE the whole game!! :wallbash: (they switched to a little 4-3 at the end, there is a clip or two of him at DT as well)

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/1/17/1937512/the-prospect-playbook-marcell-dareus-dt-de-alabama

lots of good video in here to get excited about!!

Edited by DrDareustein

I watched alot of SEC football. Dareus should line up over center and control the point of attack. If the Bills line him at DE he won't be effective as a pass rusher...he simply too big a man and will wear out quickly. With the Bills current personnel(including the effective Kyle Williams and a piss poor LB corps), the Bills are best served by running a 4-3. Let's see what the dumbasses at OBD have in store.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

I watched alot of SEC football. Dareus should line up over center and control the point of attack. If the Bills line him at DE he won't be effective as a pass rusher...he simply too big a man and will wear out quickly. With the Bills current personnel(including the effective Kyle Williams and a piss poor LB corps), the Bills are best served by running a 4-3. Let's see what the dumbasses at OBD have in store.

No offense but I'll trust Wanny over your SEC observations. I'm sure he's got some ideas on how best to use him.

Someone should send Dukes a link to Marcel's interview. He basically says the defenses are identical and he's ready to play.

you need to watch more SEC football then. youre right that he is big, but he is very fast, and well conditioned. the game, and players are constantly evolving and getting bigger/stronger while also getting faster.

there is no "wrong" position for this kid, except on the bench.

Just caught the two bumbling fools Dukes and Sapp going on about how Dareus is incredibly talented but that despite him being an elite 3-technqiue, we will use him as a 5-technique and considerably limit his effectiveness. But they also said he's so gifted that he'll succeed anywhere. They went on to say we've dropped the ball on this one.

I'm not very fond of these two guys and I think they've jumped the gun a bit by assuming to know how the Bills will use him despite Camp only opening today.

I can't imagine the Bills "ruining" him and making him play out of position. But I must agree with Sapp when he said if we just put Dareus inside with Williams and let them play, they'll penetrate all day and completely stop the run game.

Regardless, I'm excited to see him play and think he'll be a contributor from day one and never look back.

Thoughts?

I saw this segment, as well. I can't stand Dukes and it has little to do with the Bills. He's a blowhard, know-nothing who tries to be relevant by stirring the pot and trying to elicit a reaction. The next time he says something smart will be the first. He belongs on ESPN, not the NFL's "showcase" channel. I can at least stomach Sapp sometimes but I find it aggravating that he can't string together two coherent sentences. The NFLN is awful. I can't believe they can't do more with that forum than constantly show the 2007 Indy/NE* Playoff game or the same 3 or 4 America's Game episodes. All the former players and all of the archived film footage and Dukes and these shows are all they can present?? What a waste of a potentially great channel.

Sapp's no fool, not when it comes to talking about defensive linemen, at least. And he's a huge Dareus fan. Based on what you've posted, all he's saying is that Dareus' talents won't be maximized putting him head up on a tackle and telling him to hold his ground.

He went through that himself when he was with Oakland and they switched to a 3-4 for a year. He's not a fan of using penetrating D-linemen as 5 techs. As he's pointed out on numerous occasions, how many 5 techs have more than 10 sacks per year?

I think there are a number of arguments that can be made, especially in run defense, where Dareus will go a long way towards holding up one side of the line. And they're right, Dareus' speed-strength combo lends him to succeeding anywhere along the DL.

But pairing him on the inside with Kyle Williams, if they decide to do so, could really cause problems on an interior OL. If Dareus is as good as I think he is, they could be the best DT tandem we've had since Pat Williams-Sam Adams, and quite possibly surpass them. But you have to use them correctly.

At least at times, put them together, force an OL to double team one and leave the other with a single blocker. Good things will happen.

All Sapp really seems to be saying is, don't waste the guys talent just holding the line.

Or as Keith Jackson would say, "you have to let the big dog hunt."

This is a pretty good analysis, and IMO, on the money. There is some truth to what Sapp is saying. But Dareus, on passing downs, will be playing tackle and wreaking havoc in the middle. He will be playing the same position he played in college, where he dominated and is familiar with it. He's shocked at how similar the Bills defense and playbook are to Bama's.

Sapp is right to a degree. If the Bills were only planning on using him as a 3-4 end, like, say, the way they want to use Dwan Edwards, then we would be wasting his talent. But we are not. He's playing end in 3-4 and tackle in 4-3 passing downs

This is a pretty good analysis, and IMO, on the money. There is some truth to what Sapp is saying. But Dareus, on passing downs, will be playing tackle and wreaking havoc in the middle. He will be playing the same position he played in college, where he dominated and is familiar with it. He's shocked at how similar the Bills defense and playbook are to Bama's.

Sapp is right to a degree. If the Bills were only planning on using him as a 3-4 end, like, say, the way they want to use Dwan Edwards, then we would be wasting his talent. But we are not. He's playing end in 3-4 and tackle in 4-3 passing downs

Keep in mind that Sapp is LARGELY biased about moving big men to the 5 technique since that almost ruined his career while he was in Oakland. He wasnt able to do it, therefore no one can.

However, Sapp was always only a 3-tech guy. Never played any other position until he landed in Oakland.

Dareus has proven he can play 5-tech, 3-tech, 0-tech, whatever.

Part of me thinks, while Sapp may be a big Dareus fan, he doesnt want to admit that the kid might be better than he was...

Just caught the two bumbling fools Dukes and Sapp going on about how Dareus is incredibly talented but that despite him being an elite 3-technqiue, we will use him as a 5-technique and considerably limit his effectiveness. But they also said he's so gifted that he'll succeed anywhere. They went on to say we've dropped the ball on this one.

I'm not very fond of these two guys and I think they've jumped the gun a bit by assuming to know how the Bills will use him despite Camp only opening today.

I can't imagine the Bills "ruining" him and making him play out of position. But I must agree with Sapp when he said if we just put Dareus inside with Williams and let them play, they'll penetrate all day and completely stop the run game.

Regardless, I'm excited to see him play and think he'll be a contributor from day one and never look back.

Thoughts?

Since we played nickel more than any other alignment last year (like many teams), it stands to reason that Dareus will play the 3 tech most of the time anyway. It's a lot of talk about nothing.

Since we played nickel more than any other alignment last year (like many teams), it stands to reason that Dareus will play the 3 tech most of the time anyway. It's a lot of talk about nothing.

+100

There really is no such thing as a 4-3 or 3-4, especially in the NFL. Everything depends on down and distance, and what personnel the offense has on the field. Based on what I've seen of Marcel, he's capable of moving around along the line, and he most certainly has the talent to play NT or DE in the 3-4, or DT in the 4-3. I think the misunderstanding here is that he's going to be forced to play one position all the time. If Marcel keeps developing, it means that the O-line is going to have to account for him with double (and we hope) and triple teams.

Warren Sapp knows a thing or two about playing on the defensive line, so he might have a point. Regardless of what Dareus is capable of playing or even what he played at Alabama, Dareus might indeed project better as a 3-technique tackle.

But one point. Nobody knows for sure what system the Bills are planning to run this year.

1. They started with the 3-4 last year, but finished running mostly 4-3.

2. George Edwards (a 3-4 guy) is still the defensive coordinator. But they also brought in Dave Wannstedt (a 4-3 guy) as the assistant coach.

3. Last year's free agent/draft was focused on bringing in 3-4 guys...Torrell Troupe, Alex Carrington, Arthur Moats, Dwan Edwards, Andre Davis, Shawn Merriman. But they also re-signed Chris Kelsay, who should be a 4-3 end. This year's draft was a mix.

On top of that...most people would agree that Kyle Williams isn't best suited as a nosetackle. A lot of people thought he should have been on the trading block at the beginning of last season. But he turned in the BEST season of his career in 2010. So if Dareus is as talented as people say, he should do just fine.

But one point. Nobody knows for sure what system the Bills are planning to run this year.

Yes we do as Nix has stated it, point blank. Our base is a 3-4, but teams run both schemes once you get into games, and different down and distances. Every team runs multiple defenses throughout a single game. No team stays in just a 3-4, or just a 4-3, full time.